moderated I need help using acrobat reader.

Jim Rawls

Hi all, first of all, how do I set it up, and second how do I set it up like I used to bee able to do? I haven’t used it in a long time. You used to be able to set it up easily, but I don’t see how to do that now. Is there  another program that will read PDF files? Will jaws do that now? Help please. I am using jaws 2022and windows ten. Jim  

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

In my experience, Acrobat Reader is still the best program to read PDF documents. Unfortunately, when you install a brand new copy, there are a few setup tasks that you must do to get it to work properly with a screen reader like JAWS. The steps are pretty much the same as they have been since we first started using this software. The most important item is to ensure the entire document is always loaded into memory—even the very large documents. Open the Edit menu, arrow up to Accessibility and open the submenu.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Microsoft Edge tries to make itself the default PDF reader. This works sometimes for PDF files containing readable text. But for those files with scanned text, JAWS’ Convenient OCR will not work if the file is opened in Microsoft Edge.

Warmly,

Curtis Chong

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Rawls
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2022 12:44 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: I need help using acrobat reader.

Hi all, first of all, how do I set it up, and second how do I set it up like I used to bee able to do? I haven’t used it in a long time. You used to be able to set it up easily, but I don’t see how to do that now. Is there  another program that will read PDF files? Will jaws do that now? Help please. I am using jaws 2022and windows ten. Jim  

Milton Ota

Hi,

From the Adobe website, you should be installing Adobe Acrobat DC 64 bit version if you are running Windows 10 or 11 in a 64 bit operating system. The program is free as just the reader.

You will need to go into the Preferences and change the Security Enhanced Doing will then allow you to open all PDF files.

You can then use the JAWS convenient OCR to clean up the file so that it is more readable.

You will find a webinar on the freedom Scientific webinar page that talks about how to use the JAWS convenient OCR.

HTH

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Rawls
Sent: Friday, February 4, 2022 1:44 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: I need help using acrobat reader.