moderated I need help using acrobat reader.

Jim Rawls

Hi all, first of all, how do I set it up, and second how do I set it up like I used to bee able to do? I haven’t used it in a long time. You used to be able to set it up easily, but I don’t see how to do that now. Is there  another program that will read PDF files? Will jaws do that now? Help please. I am using jaws 2022and windows ten. Jim

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

In my experience, Acrobat Reader is still the best program to read PDF documents. Unfortunately, when you install a brand new copy, there are a few setup tasks that you must do to get it to work properly with a screen reader like JAWS. The steps are pretty much the same as they have been since we first started using this software. The most important item is to ensure the entire document is always loaded into memory—even the very large documents. Open the Edit menu, arrow up to Accessibility and open the submenu.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Microsoft Edge tries to make itself the default PDF reader. This works sometimes for PDF files containing readable text. But for those files with scanned text, JAWS’ Convenient OCR will not work if the file is opened in Microsoft Edge.

Warmly,

Curtis Chong