moderated I’m grasping at straws, but has anyone had memory problems with jaws?

Phillip Gross

James, disabling in startup.

To the person who mentioned telling JAWS where to send the audio, that isn’t the issue in this case. When I disabled Maxxaudio this messed with my head for an hour or so. My headphone jack wouldn’t show up. It was like it didn’t exist. It wasn’t in jaws settings. It wasn’t in my sound settings. I could make it appear by restarting the computer with the headphones plugged in. Finally I remembered that Wave Maxx was disabled at startup, and once I enabled it and restarted the computer the issue was fixed.

Marty Hutchings

There is no WaveMax Audio on my system.  a Google search shows WaveMax as a laundry service or a digital audio editing or production program.

On 5/28/2021 12:23 PM, James Homuth wrote:

It’s supposed to be an audio enhancement service. Presumably it adjusts your settings depending on what type of headphones you’re wearing. I find it doesn’t make much difference and only eats memory.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marty Hutchings
Sent: May 28, 2021 2:22 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: I’m grasping at straws, but has anyone had memory problems with jaws?

What is WaveMax used for and what will happen if I disable it?

On 5/28/2021 11:32 AM, James Homuth wrote:

I had the same problem with an XPS 8940. It’s not JAWS. Go into your startup apps, and disable WaveMax audio. Restart your computer. $20 says you don’t have memory problems anymore.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Phillip Gross
Sent: May 28, 2021 6:50 AM
Subject: I’m grasping at straws, but has anyone had memory problems with jaws?

Okay I have been running the latest version of JAWS 2021 since this started in February, so I am on my third update.  I have a new Dell XPS that keeps running out of memory. The amount of ram, 32 GB, definitely isn’t the problem. I’ve chased memory leaks down in all of the normal ways, and I can’t find anything. I have reinstalled windows twice at this point.

Has anyone seen issues of a memory leak with JAWS? As I said in the subject line I’m grasping at straws, and I doubt it’s the problem, but I figured it didn’t hurt to ask.

Richard Turner

Marty,

Do you have a Del?

It’s Waves Max Audio:

Waves MaxxAudio Pro Application | Driver Details | Dell US

Richard

"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Web site: www.turner42.com

Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 1:27 PM
Subject: Re: I’m grasping at straws, but has anyone had memory problems with jaws?

There is no WaveMax Audio on my system.  a Google search shows WaveMax as a laundry service or a digital audio editing or production program.

It’s supposed to be an audio enhancement service. Presumably it adjusts your settings depending on what type of headphones you’re wearing. I find it doesn’t make much difference and only eats memory.

I had the same problem with an XPS 8940. It’s not JAWS. Go into your startup apps, and disable WaveMax audio. Restart your computer. $20 says you don’t have memory problems anymore.

Okay I have been running the latest version of JAWS 2021 since this started in February, so I am on my third update.  I have a new Dell XPS that keeps running out of memory. The amount of ram, 32 GB, definitely isn’t the problem. I’ve chased memory leaks down in all of the normal ways, and I can’t find anything. I have reinstalled windows twice at this point.

Has anyone seen issues of a memory leak with JAWS? As I said in the subject line I’m grasping at straws, and I doubt it’s the problem, but I figured it didn’t hurt to ask.

Richard Turner

Well, you are right.

I had not noticed the problem of it no longer recognizing the 3.5 MM headphone jack because I almost never unplug my headphones.

It is one of those annoying Del things.  One would think a sound card would be able to tell when you plug something in without an extra piece of software running, but then again, I’m not an engineer.

Richard

"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 12:16 PM

Okay I’ll try to answer a few questions. First, as I said before, I don’t think it’s JAWS. I just wanted to cover all of my bases.

To the person who asked why I think it’s a leak I explained that several messages back.

Richard, I don’t think it’s a hardware issue with the ram. I ran memory diagnostics and it came out fine. I also let the thing sit still playing Amazon Prime video for several hours 1 day and it didn’t eat memory. As soon as I start working on something though it disappears.

I have tried turning Maxxaudio off. I even went as far as uninstalling it and using the Microsoft sound drivers. It didn’t work when I did it a couple of months ago but what the hell I might try it again. I am curious about one thing though. When you disable it on startup how do you get it to recognize when you plug in a headset? A lot of people, including me when I had it disabled, couldn’t get it to recognize that a headset was plugged in. It would just continue to speak through the speakers. The only around this was to plug in the headphones before starting the computer.

Marty Hutchings

No, That would explain why it was  not in my startup aps.

On 5/28/2021 2:34 PM, Richard Turner wrote:

Marty,

Do you have a Del?

It’s Waves Max Audio:

Waves MaxxAudio Pro Application | Driver Details | Dell US

Richard

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 1:27 PM

Phillip Gross

Edited

I have tried turning MaxxAudio off again, so we’ll see what happens. Weirdly enough the 3.5 jack is working for me. As I recall I didn’t have problems with the jack last time until I tried removing and reinstalling the Realtec driver and MaxxAudio.

Richard Turner

After turning off the Waves Max Audio in startup apps, the sound card didn’t know I plugged the headphones in unless it was plugged in when I rebooted.

I think I will turn it off again because I honestly cannot tell the difference in sound with it on or off.

If I have to reboot to get the headphones to work at some point, I’ll do that.

This Del takes well less than a minute to reboot.

Richard

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 2:53 PM

[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: Fixing a typing error.]

I have tried turning MaxxAudio off again, so we’ll see what happens. Weirdly enough the 3.5 jack is working for me. As I recall I didn’t have problems with the jack last time until I tried removing and reinstalling the Realtec driver and MaxxAudio.

Phillip Gross

I can't say that I blame you. Other than the memory thing, which I'll get figured out, I love the computer. The first thing I did after installing a screen reader was go into sound settings and turn off the effects anyway so it doesn't make a difference.

Phillip Gross

This is an old thread, but I wanted to post the solution in here. That way, if anyone else has the same issues and searches the list, it is available.

When I started the thread, I mentioned that I didn’t think it was JAWS, but I was grasping at straws and checking all possibilities. It was not Jaws. It was the culprit we spent half of this thread discussing, MaxxAudio.

The problem with disabling MaxxAudio in startup is that your headphones are no longer recognized. So don’t use the Realtek driver with Maxxaudio. I switched to the High Definition Audio driver, and I haven’t had any issues for the last month. It does make the internal speakers on the laptop sound tinny, but if you’re using external speakers or headphones that isn’t a problem.

Richard Turner

Philip,

This is no doubt revealing my ignorance, but where did you go to change the driver?

My laptop speakers already sound tinny, so I avoid using them anyway.

Richard

Software means never having to say you're finished

Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2021 4:23 AM

This is an old thread, but I wanted to post the solution in here. That way, if anyone else has the same issues and searches the list, it is available.

When I started the thread, I mentioned that I didn’t think it was JAWS, but I was grasping at straws and checking all possibilities. It was not Jaws. It was the culprit we spent half of this thread discussing, MaxxAudio.

The problem with disabling MaxxAudio in startup is that your headphones are no longer recognized. So don’t use the Realtek driver with Maxxaudio. I switched to the High Definition Audio driver, and I haven’t had any issues for the last month. It does make the internal speakers on the laptop sound tinny, but if you’re using external speakers or headphones that isn’t a problem.

Dave Durber

Philip:

Have you turned off the Advanced settings for the "High Definition Audio driver", if you have not, by doing so, you should find that the audio does not have the effect you describe.

Dave

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2021 12:22 PM

Phillip Gross

Richard, go to your device manager. Go to sound. Go to properties on your Realtek driver. Tell it to update driver. You'll have to browse for the driver on your computer. Browse for something like High Definition Audio.

Sorry My instructions aren't better. I am typing this on a phone. If you need more detailed instructions let me know, and I'll write them up when I get home.

Richard Turner

Thanks Phillip,

That is all the instruction I need.

Later,

Richard

Software means never having to say you're finished

Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2021 8:02 AM

Richard, go to your device manager. Go to sound. Go to properties on your Realtek driver. Tell it to update driver. You'll have to browse for the driver on your computer. Browse for something like High Definition Audio.

Sorry My instructions aren't better. I am typing this on a phone. If you need more detailed instructions let me know, and I'll write them up when I get home.