moderated I’m grasping at straws, but has anyone had memory problems with jaws?

Phillip Gross

Okay I have been running the latest version of JAWS 2021 since this started in February, so I am on my third update.  I have a new Dell XPS that keeps running out of memory. The amount of ram, 32 GB, definitely isn’t the problem. I’ve chased memory leaks down in all of the normal ways, and I can’t find anything. I have reinstalled windows twice at this point.

Has anyone seen issues of a memory leak with JAWS? As I said in the subject line I’m grasping at straws, and I doubt it’s the problem, but I figured it didn’t hurt to ask.

Mike B.

Hi Phillip,

Have you tried unloading Jaws and running NVDA or Narrator, and if so, do you have the same problems?  If possible, have you had someone sighted use your computer and without any screen reading program running do the same memory problems occur?  Also, do you have the same memory problems with running an earlier version of Jaws?

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 3:49 AM
Subject: I’m grasping at straws, but has anyone had memory problems with jaws?

Okay I have been running the latest version of JAWS 2021 since this started in February, so I am on my third update.  I have a new Dell XPS that keeps running out of memory. The amount of ram, 32 GB, definitely isn’t the problem. I’ve chased memory leaks down in all of the normal ways, and I can’t find anything. I have reinstalled windows twice at this point.

Has anyone seen issues of a memory leak with JAWS? As I said in the subject line I’m grasping at straws, and I doubt it’s the problem, but I figured it didn’t hurt to ask.

Chris Hill

I haven't really noticed anything, but then again, I wasn't checking either.  My memory usage seemed a little high when I checked while ago, but I hadn't rebooted my computer in several days.  My question to you is, how often do you reboot? 

On 5/28/2021 05:49, Phillip Gross wrote:

Phillip Gross

I am responding to both of you at once. As far as runningNVDA or Narrator goes, I have thought about it but haven’t done it. NVDA is my backup, and I need to go back and look up how to read the parts of of resource monitor that I read with the JAWS cursor so that I can.

As far I have to restart it at least once a day. After startup, when everything settles down, I am using about 15 percent of my RAM. Four or five hours later I will be using 98% of my ram and the computer will freeze up.

I should have mentioned this in my first message. Windows 10 Pro is up to date as are all of my drivers.

Thomas N. Chan

I only reboot my main machine, once a week.
I only got 16gb on this machine, its something  new to me on Win 10 for me.

how I would isolate the issue is, take out the physical ram and re-sit it.
can you do it on your own?

the way the ram works is, they only get the info that this is how much capacity it have through another chip.

if that didn't work, is your virtual memory sset to automatic?

32gb is a lot of ram, does not mean all programs will know how to buffet itself around. check all your startup apps from windows 10 itself. turn off some of them and see if the problem persist.
if its an software issue, some apps or whichever apps is eating a big chunk of the ram.

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

On Fri, 28 May 2021 at 20:04, Chris Hill <hillco@...> wrote:

I haven't really noticed anything, but then again, I wasn't checking either.  My memory usage seemed a little high when I checked while ago, but I hadn't rebooted my computer in several days.  My question to you is, how often do you reboot? 

Okay I have been running the latest version of JAWS 2021 since this started in February, so I am on my third update.  I have a new Dell XPS that keeps running out of memory. The amount of ram, 32 GB, definitely isn’t the problem. I’ve chased memory leaks down in all of the normal ways, and I can’t find anything. I have reinstalled windows twice at this point.

Chris Hill

Ugg, that sounds bad.  I'd be surprised if jaws is your problem.  I had about 5gb of unexplained ram usage, but I'm sure the machine had been on since last week.

You mentioned having reinstalled windows, so I guess it is down to some program or driver giving you fits.  I'd also be doing some major malware and virus checks, there are things that can survive a reinstall.

CH

On 5/28/2021 08:06, Phillip Gross wrote:
I am responding to both of you at once. As far as runningNVDA or Narrator goes, I have thought about it but haven’t done it. NVDA is my backup, and I need to go back and look up how to read the parts of of resource monitor that I read with the JAWS cursor so that I can.

As far I have to restart it at least once a day. After startup, when everything settles down, I am using about 15 percent of my RAM. Four or five hours later I will be using 98% of my ram and the computer will freeze up.

I should have mentioned this in my first message. Windows 10 Pro is up to date as are all of my drivers.

John Covici

Sounds like a browser issue -- they are all memory hogs. Which
browser are you using and how many tabs, etc.?

On Fri, 28 May 2021 09:36:48 -0400,
Thomas N. Chan wrote:

[1 <text/plain; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
I only reboot my main machine, once a week.
I only got 16gb on this machine, its something new to me on Win 10 for me.

how I would isolate the issue is, take out the physical ram and re-sit it.
can you do it on your own?

the way the ram works is, they only get the info that this is how much
capacity it have through another chip.

if that didn't work, is your virtual memory sset to automatic?

32gb is a lot of ram, does not mean all programs will know how to buffet
itself around. check all your startup apps from windows 10 itself. turn off
some of them and see if the problem persist.
if its an software issue, some apps or whichever apps is eating a big chunk
of the ram.

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

On Fri, 28 May 2021 at 20:04, Chris Hill <hillco@earthlink.net> wrote:

I haven't really noticed anything, but then again, I wasn't checking
either. My memory usage seemed a little high when I checked while ago, but
I hadn't rebooted my computer in several days. My question to you is, how
often do you reboot?

Okay I have been running the latest version of JAWS 2021 since this
started in February, so I am on my third update. I have a new Dell XPS
that keeps running out of memory. The amount of ram, 32 GB, definitely
isn’t the problem. I’ve chased memory leaks down in all of the normal ways,
and I can’t find anything. I have reinstalled windows twice at this point.

Has anyone seen issues of a memory leak with JAWS? As I said in the
subject line I’m grasping at straws, and I doubt it’s the problem, but I
figured it didn’t hurt to ask.

[2 <text/html; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
--
Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

Phillip Gross

I have done my scans, but as I said it's a new computer. I first noticed it doing this less than a week after I got it. I didn't notice it before then because I was constantly restarting it while making sure everything was up to date and installing the soft ware I normally use on it. 

I'm pretty sure it's a driver issue, but I asked about JAWS to cover my bases. When this happens and I look at what is using memory I most of it isn't accounted for. 

Chris Hill

That sounds like quite a problem.  I'd start by completely reinstalling windows, and only using windows' built-in drivers to see if something Dell put on the computer was causing the problem.  Either that or I'd just get ahold of their tech support and give them the opportunity to figure it out or take the computer back.  A brand new machine shouldn't be so much trouble, and other people make computers.

CH

On 5/28/2021 08:55, Phillip Gross wrote:
I have done my scans, but as I said it's a new computer. I first noticed it doing this less than a week after I got it. I didn't notice it before then because I was constantly restarting it while making sure everything was up to date and installing the soft ware I normally use on it. 

I'm pretty sure it's a driver issue, but I asked about JAWS to cover my bases. When this happens and I look at what is using memory I most of it isn't accounted for. 

Phillip Gross

To the person who asked about my browser, that would be a hell of a lot of tabs. lol. One of the first things I wondered though was if the latest version of edge, which was what I was using, had a memory leak. I ran chrome and Firefox each for a day. That didn't help. Unless I'm doing a bunch of research which can happen while I'm working, I try not to keep more than one or two tabs open at a time.

Richard Turner

Could there be a problem with the RAM itself? I'd be on Del tech support immediately if not sooner.

Richard 
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

www.turner42.com

On May 28, 2021, at 7:58 AM, Phillip Gross <phillip_gross@...> wrote:

To the person who asked about my browser, that would be a hell of a lot of tabs. lol. One of the first things I wondered though was if the latest version of edge, which was what I was using, had a memory leak. I ran chrome and Firefox each for a day. That didn't help. Unless I'm doing a bunch of research which can happen while I'm working, I try not to keep more than one or two tabs open at a time.

John Covici

Are you looking at all processes or just applications in your task
manager? If in all processes, you should get most memory accounted
for.

On Fri, 28 May 2021 10:58:31 -0400,
Phillip Gross wrote:

[1 <text/plain; utf-8 (quoted-printable)>]

[2 <text/html; utf-8 (quoted-printable)>]
--
Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

James Homuth

I had the same problem with an XPS 8940. It’s not JAWS. Go into your startup apps, and disable WaveMax audio. Restart your computer. $20 says you don’t have memory problems anymore.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Phillip Gross
Sent: May 28, 2021 6:50 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Marty Hutchings

What is WaveMax used for and what will happen if I disable it?

On 5/28/2021 11:32 AM, James Homuth wrote:

I had the same problem with an XPS 8940. It’s not JAWS. Go into your startup apps, and disable WaveMax audio. Restart your computer. $20 says you don’t have memory problems anymore.

James Homuth

It’s supposed to be an audio enhancement service. Presumably it adjusts your settings depending on what type of headphones you’re wearing. I find it doesn’t make much difference and only eats memory.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marty Hutchings
Sent: May 28, 2021 2:22 PM
Subject: Re: I’m grasping at straws, but has anyone had memory problems with jaws?

What is WaveMax used for and what will happen if I disable it?

On 5/28/2021 11:32 AM, James Homuth wrote:

Jeff Christiansen

I am running two Dells, and have not seen the same.

What makes you think there is a memory leak?

Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 4:50 AM

Richard Turner

In reading about Wave Max on the web, it seems to be the bane of many Del computer users.

It is supposed to enhance audio for home theater/gaming, but there have been a lot of complaints about it and most people don’t miss it when they turn it off.

I have had one odd audio issue and will be curious to see if that goes away since I turned it off and rebooted a few moments ago.

I checked, and it stayed turned off; so we shall see.

I’ve not noticed the memory issue, but I have had programs close suddenly, which may have been caused by that.

Richard

"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Web site: www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Homuth
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 10:32 AM
Subject: Re: I’m grasping at straws, but has anyone had memory problems with jaws?

Phillip Gross

Okay I’ll try to answer a few questions. First, as I said before, I don’t think it’s JAWS. I just wanted to cover all of my bases.

To the person who asked why I think it’s a leak I explained that several messages back.

Richard, I don’t think it’s a hardware issue with the ram. I ran memory diagnostics and it came out fine. I also let the thing sit still playing Amazon Prime video for several hours 1 day and it didn’t eat memory. As soon as I start working on something though it disappears.

I have tried turning Maxxaudio off. I even went as far as uninstalling it and using the Microsoft sound drivers. It didn’t work when I did it a couple of months ago but what the hell I might try it again. I am curious about one thing though. When you disable it on startup how do you get it to recognize when you plug in a headset? A lot of people, including me when I had it disabled, couldn’t get it to recognize that a headset was plugged in. It would just continue to speak through the speakers. The only around this was to plug in the headphones before starting the computer.

James Homuth

I didn’t have that problem. But just to be clear, are you stopping the service or disabling the application?

Sent: May 28, 2021 3:16 PM

Okay I’ll try to answer a few questions. First, as I said before, I don’t think it’s JAWS. I just wanted to cover all of my bases.

To the person who asked why I think it’s a leak I explained that several messages back.

Richard, I don’t think it’s a hardware issue with the ram. I ran memory diagnostics and it came out fine. I also let the thing sit still playing Amazon Prime video for several hours 1 day and it didn’t eat memory. As soon as I start working on something though it disappears.

I have tried turning Maxxaudio off. I even went as far as uninstalling it and using the Microsoft sound drivers. It didn’t work when I did it a couple of months ago but what the hell I might try it again. I am curious about one thing though. When you disable it on startup how do you get it to recognize when you plug in a headset? A lot of people, including me when I had it disabled, couldn’t get it to recognize that a headset was plugged in. It would just continue to speak through the speakers. The only around this was to plug in the headphones before starting the computer.

Mike B.

Hi Phillip,

Go to Jaws Utilities / soundcard submenu and tell Jaws to run through the headset you plugged in.  The headset should show in the soundcard submenu if it's a USB headset.  Rebooting makes Jaws jump to the first soundcard it detects, and why it chooses the USB soundcard first I'm not sure, but I would imagine it's some sort of Jaws backup feature for in case your on board soundcard took a dump.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 12:15 PM