Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 3:49 AM
Subject: I’m grasping at straws, but has anyone had memory problems with jaws?

Okay I have been running the latest version of JAWS 2021 since this started in February, so I am on my third update.  I have a new Dell XPS that keeps running out of memory. The amount of ram, 32 GB, definitely isn’t the problem. I’ve chased memory leaks down in all of the normal ways, and I can’t find anything. I have reinstalled windows twice at this point.

Has anyone seen issues of a memory leak with JAWS? As I said in the subject line I’m grasping at straws, and I doubt it’s the problem, but I figured it didn’t hurt to ask.

Chris Hill

I haven't really noticed anything, but then again, I wasn't checking either.  My memory usage seemed a little high when I checked while ago, but I hadn't rebooted my computer in several days.  My question to you is, how often do you reboot?

On 5/28/2021 05:49, Phillip Gross wrote:
Okay I have been running the latest version of JAWS 2021 since this started in February, so I am on my third update.  I have a new Dell XPS that keeps running out of memory. The amount of ram, 32 GB, definitely isn’t the problem. I’ve chased memory leaks down in all of the normal ways, and I can’t find anything. I have reinstalled windows twice at this point.

Has anyone seen issues of a memory leak with JAWS? As I said in the subject line I’m grasping at straws, and I doubt it’s the problem, but I figured it didn’t hurt to ask.

Phillip Gross

I am responding to both of you at once. As far as runningNVDA or Narrator goes, I have thought about it but haven’t done it. NVDA is my backup, and I need to go back and look up how to read the parts of of resource monitor that I read with the JAWS cursor so that I can.

As far I have to restart it at least once a day. After startup, when everything settles down, I am using about 15 percent of my RAM. Four or five hours later I will be using 98% of my ram and the computer will freeze up.

I should have mentioned this in my first message. Windows 10 Pro is up to date as are all of my drivers.

Thomas N. Chan

I only reboot my main machine, once a week.
I only got 16gb on this machine, its something  new to me on Win 10 for me.

how I would isolate the issue is, take out the physical ram and re-sit it.
can you do it on your own?

the way the ram works is, they only get the info that this is how much capacity it have through another chip.

if that didn't work, is your virtual memory sset to automatic?

32gb is a lot of ram, does not mean all programs will know how to buffet itself around. check all your startup apps from windows 10 itself. turn off some of them and see if the problem persist.
if its an software issue, some apps or whichever apps is eating a big chunk of the ram.

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

On Fri, 28 May 2021 at 20:04, Chris Hill <hillco@...> wrote:

I haven't really noticed anything, but then again, I wasn't checking either.  My memory usage seemed a little high when I checked while ago, but I hadn't rebooted my computer in several days.  My question to you is, how often do you reboot?

On 5/28/2021 05:49, Phillip Gross wrote:
Okay I have been running the latest version of JAWS 2021 since this started in February, so I am on my third update.  I have a new Dell XPS that keeps running out of memory. The amount of ram, 32 GB, definitely isn’t the problem. I’ve chased memory leaks down in all of the normal ways, and I can’t find anything. I have reinstalled windows twice at this point.

Has anyone seen issues of a memory leak with JAWS? As I said in the subject line I’m grasping at straws, and I doubt it’s the problem, but I figured it didn’t hurt to ask.

Chris Hill

Ugg, that sounds bad.  I'd be surprised if jaws is your problem.  I had about 5gb of unexplained ram usage, but I'm sure the machine had been on since last week.

You mentioned having reinstalled windows, so I guess it is down to some program or driver giving you fits.  I'd also be doing some major malware and virus checks, there are things that can survive a reinstall.

CH

On 5/28/2021 08:06, Phillip Gross wrote:
I am responding to both of you at once. As far as runningNVDA or Narrator goes, I have thought about it but haven’t done it. NVDA is my backup, and I need to go back and look up how to read the parts of of resource monitor that I read with the JAWS cursor so that I can.

As far I have to restart it at least once a day. After startup, when everything settles down, I am using about 15 percent of my RAM. Four or five hours later I will be using 98% of my ram and the computer will freeze up.

I should have mentioned this in my first message. Windows 10 Pro is up to date as are all of my drivers.

John Covici

Sounds like a browser issue -- they are all memory hogs. Which
browser are you using and how many tabs, etc.?

[1 <text/plain; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]

On Fri, 28 May 2021 at 20:04, Chris Hill <hillco@earthlink.net> wrote:

I haven't really noticed anything, but then again, I wasn't checking
either. My memory usage seemed a little high when I checked while ago, but
I hadn't rebooted my computer in several days. My question to you is, how
often do you reboot?

On 5/28/2021 05:49, Phillip Gross wrote:

Okay I have been running the latest version of JAWS 2021 since this
started in February, so I am on my third update. I have a new Dell XPS
that keeps running out of memory. The amount of ram, 32 GB, definitely
isn’t the problem. I’ve chased memory leaks down in all of the normal ways,
and I can’t find anything. I have reinstalled windows twice at this point.

Has anyone seen issues of a memory leak with JAWS? As I said in the
subject line I’m grasping at straws, and I doubt it’s the problem, but I
figured it didn’t hurt to ask.

[2 <text/html; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

Phillip Gross

I have done my scans, but as I said it's a new computer. I first noticed it doing this less than a week after I got it. I didn't notice it before then because I was constantly restarting it while making sure everything was up to date and installing the soft ware I normally use on it.

I'm pretty sure it's a driver issue, but I asked about JAWS to cover my bases. When this happens and I look at what is using memory I most of it isn't accounted for.

Chris Hill

That sounds like quite a problem.  I'd start by completely reinstalling windows, and only using windows' built-in drivers to see if something Dell put on the computer was causing the problem.  Either that or I'd just get ahold of their tech support and give them the opportunity to figure it out or take the computer back.  A brand new machine shouldn't be so much trouble, and other people make computers.

CH

On 5/28/2021 08:55, Phillip Gross wrote:
I have done my scans, but as I said it's a new computer. I first noticed it doing this less than a week after I got it. I didn't notice it before then because I was constantly restarting it while making sure everything was up to date and installing the soft ware I normally use on it.

I'm pretty sure it's a driver issue, but I asked about JAWS to cover my bases. When this happens and I look at what is using memory I most of it isn't accounted for.

Phillip Gross

To the person who asked about my browser, that would be a hell of a lot of tabs. lol. One of the first things I wondered though was if the latest version of edge, which was what I was using, had a memory leak. I ran chrome and Firefox each for a day. That didn't help. Unless I'm doing a bunch of research which can happen while I'm working, I try not to keep more than one or two tabs open at a time.

Richard Turner

Could there be a problem with the RAM itself? I'd be on Del tech support immediately if not sooner.

Richard

www.turner42.com

On May 28, 2021, at 7:58 AM, Phillip Gross <phillip_gross@...> wrote:

To the person who asked about my browser, that would be a hell of a lot of tabs. lol. One of the first things I wondered though was if the latest version of edge, which was what I was using, had a memory leak. I ran chrome and Firefox each for a day. That didn't help. Unless I'm doing a bunch of research which can happen while I'm working, I try not to keep more than one or two tabs open at a time.

John Covici

Are you looking at all processes or just applications in your task
manager? If in all processes, you should get most memory accounted
for.

On Fri, 28 May 2021 10:58:31 -0400,
Phillip Gross wrote:

To the person who asked about my browser, that would be a hell of a lot of tabs. lol. One of the first things I wondered though was if the latest version of edge, which was what I was using, had a memory leak. I ran chrome and Firefox each for a day. That didn't help. Unless I'm doing a bunch of research which can happen while I'm working, I try not to keep more than one or two tabs open at a time.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

James Homuth

I had the same problem with an XPS 8940. It’s not JAWS. Go into your startup apps, and disable WaveMax audio. Restart your computer. $20 says you don’t have memory problems anymore.

Okay I have been running the latest version of JAWS 2021 since this started in February, so I am on my third update.  I have a new Dell XPS that keeps running out of memory. The amount of ram, 32 GB, definitely isn’t the problem. I’ve chased memory leaks down in all of the normal ways, and I can’t find anything. I have reinstalled windows twice at this point.

Has anyone seen issues of a memory leak with JAWS? As I said in the subject line I’m grasping at straws, and I doubt it’s the problem, but I figured it didn’t hurt to ask.

Marty Hutchings

What is WaveMax used for and what will happen if I disable it?

On 5/28/2021 11:32 AM, James Homuth wrote:

I had the same problem with an XPS 8940. It’s not JAWS. Go into your startup apps, and disable WaveMax audio. Restart your computer. $20 says you don’t have memory problems anymore.

Okay I have been running the latest version of JAWS 2021 since this started in February, so I am on my third update.  I have a new Dell XPS that keeps running out of memory. The amount of ram, 32 GB, definitely isn’t the problem. I’ve chased memory leaks down in all of the normal ways, and I can’t find anything. I have reinstalled windows twice at this point.

Has anyone seen issues of a memory leak with JAWS? As I said in the subject line I’m grasping at straws, and I doubt it’s the problem, but I figured it didn’t hurt to ask.

James Homuth

It’s supposed to be an audio enhancement service. Presumably it adjusts your settings depending on what type of headphones you’re wearing. I find it doesn’t make much difference and only eats memory.

What is WaveMax used for and what will happen if I disable it?

On 5/28/2021 11:32 AM, James Homuth wrote:

I had the same problem with an XPS 8940. It’s not JAWS. Go into your startup apps, and disable WaveMax audio. Restart your computer. $20 says you don’t have memory problems anymore.

Okay I have been running the latest version of JAWS 2021 since this started in February, so I am on my third update.  I have a new Dell XPS that keeps running out of memory. The amount of ram, 32 GB, definitely isn’t the problem. I’ve chased memory leaks down in all of the normal ways, and I can’t find anything. I have reinstalled windows twice at this point.

Has anyone seen issues of a memory leak with JAWS? As I said in the subject line I’m grasping at straws, and I doubt it’s the problem, but I figured it didn’t hurt to ask.

Jeff Christiansen

I am running two Dells, and have not seen the same.

What makes you think there is a memory leak?