Topics

moderated I Cannot Install the new JAWS Beta

Rick Miller

Dear Listers:

I understand that  the new JAWS 2021 Beta version has just come out.  I am trying to install it.  I am using a Desktop computer, Windows 10 and the latest version of JAWS.  I have downloaded and saved the application for the new Beta version but when I go to the folder where it is and hit the Enter key after locating it, instead of giving me the option to install it I am getting a dialog that just says “get app from store.”  I know apps are only used with phones and I don’t know how to handle apps as I have only a cell phone, not an i-phone, so I don’t know how to rectify this problem and download the Beta version to my Desktop.

Rick Miller

Mike B

Hi Rick,

Apps are now for PC's as well.  You need to tell your computer that you want to install the appfrom other than the Microsoft store, steps below.

To change your app download and installation options  to something other than the Microsoft Store do the following:
1. Windows + I, for settings and tab 1 time to, System.
2. Navigate to, Apps, and press enter.
3. The first folder in the list is, Apps and Features, press enter on this, and tab 1 time to the Choose where to get your apps combobox.  Press, Alt + down arrow, to open the
combobox, arrow up / down to the option you want and press enter.  You can Alt + F4 to close after you've made your choice.

Sent: Friday, September 11, 2020 7:25 PM
Subject: I Cannot Install the new JAWS Beta

Dear Listers:

I understand that  the new JAWS 2021 Beta version has just come out.  I am trying to install it.  I am using a Desktop computer, Windows 10 and the latest version of JAWS.  I have downloaded and saved the application for the new Beta version but when I go to the folder where it is and hit the Enter key after locating it, instead of giving me the option to install it I am getting a dialog that just says “get app from store.”  I know apps are only used with phones and I don’t know how to handle apps as I have only a cell phone, not an i-phone, so I don’t know how to rectify this problem and download the Beta version to my Desktop.

Rick Miller

Cornelius

Since that is a beta, kindly contact freedom scientific so that they could assist you. I am sure they are interested to find out what happen so that they could improve or fix it in the next beta.

I understand that  the new JAWS 2021 Beta version has just come out.  I am trying to install it.  I am using a Desktop computer, Windows 10 and the latest version of JAWS.  I have downloaded and saved the application for the new Beta version but when I go to the folder where it is and hit the Enter key after locating it, instead of giving me the option to install it I am getting a dialog that just says “get app from store.”  I know apps are only used with phones and I don’t know how to handle apps as I have only a cell phone, not an i-phone, so I don’t know how to rectify this problem and download the Beta version to my Desktop.

Rick Miller

Dan Longmore

Hi,

When you get this screen you should have the option to “Continue” or “get apps from Microsoft store only”.  If you click continue JAWS should then begin to install.

Dan

I understand that  the new JAWS 2021 Beta version has just come out.  I am trying to install it.  I am using a Desktop computer, Windows 10 and the latest version of JAWS.  I have downloaded and saved the application for the new Beta version but when I go to the folder where it is and hit the Enter key after locating it, instead of giving me the option to install it I am getting a dialog that just says “get app from store.”  I know apps are only used with phones and I don’t know how to handle apps as I have only a cell phone, not an i-phone, so I don’t know how to rectify this problem and download the Beta version to my Desktop.

Rick Miller

Randy Meyer

I understand that  the new JAWS 2021 Beta version has just come out.  I am trying to install it.  I am using a Desktop computer, Windows 10 and the latest version of JAWS.  I have downloaded and saved the application for the new Beta version but when I go to the folder where it is and hit the Enter key after locating it, instead of giving me the option to install it I am getting a dialog that just says “get app from store.”  I know apps are only used with phones and I don’t know how to handle apps as I have only a cell phone, not an i-phone, so I don’t know how to rectify this problem and download the Beta version to my Desktop.

Rick Miller

Loy

Here is the steps to tell Windows to let you install non Windows Store apps  This will fix your problem.
  1. Click Start > Click Settings.
  2. In the Settings window, click Apps.
  3. In Apps & Features, change “Choose where to get apps” from The Microsoft Store only (recommended) to Anywhere.
  4. Close the Settings window. The change will only take effect when you close the window.

I understand that  the new JAWS 2021 Beta version has just come out.  I am trying to install it.  I am using a Desktop computer, Windows 10 and the latest version of JAWS.  I have downloaded and saved the application for the new Beta version but when I go to the folder where it is and hit the Enter key after locating it, instead of giving me the option to install it I am getting a dialog that just says “get app from store.”  I know apps are only used with phones and I don’t know how to handle apps as I have only a cell phone, not an i-phone, so I don’t know how to rectify this problem and download the Beta version to my Desktop.

Rick Miller

Richard Turner

Thank you Loy,

I noticed there are four options, 1. only from the Microsoft Store, 2.  anywhere, but warn me if tit is not from the Microsoft store, 3.  anywhere but let me know if there is a comparable app in the Microsoft store, and 4.  Anywhere.

That should help in the future.

Richard

I understand that  the new JAWS 2021 Beta version has just come out.  I am trying to install it.  I am using a Desktop computer, Windows 10 and the latest version of JAWS.  I have downloaded and saved the application for the new Beta version but when I go to the folder where it is and hit the Enter key after locating it, instead of giving me the option to install it I am getting a dialog that just says “get app from store.”  I know apps are only used with phones and I don’t know how to handle apps as I have only a cell phone, not an i-phone, so I don’t know how to rectify this problem and download the Beta version to my Desktop.

Rick Miller

It has nothing to do with the Beta but with the Windows 10 setting on where you allow apps to come from.

[...]

So if I were to go to Windows Settings, what changes should I make?  I have never dealt with apps before because I don’t have a phone.  I have a Desktop.

[...]

Windows 10 has adopted the same language as phones. So Apps, in Microsoft's world, are  somewhat synonymous with programs.
Here are steps from another member:

Here is the steps to tell Windows to let you install non Windows Store apps  This will fix your problem.

1.    Click Start > Click Settings.

2.    In the Settings window, click Apps.

3.    In Apps & Features, change “Choose where to get apps” from The Microsoft Store only (recommended) to Anywhere.

4.    Close the Settings window. The change will only take effect when you close the window.

I noticed there are four options, 1. only from the Microsoft Store, 2.  anywhere, but warn me if tit is not from the Microsoft store, 3.  anywhere but let me know if there is a comparable app in the Microsoft store, and 4. Anywhere.HTH,.

Richard