Topics

moderated I Cannot Install the new JAWS Beta

Rick Miller

Dear Listers:

I understand that  the new JAWS 2021 Beta version has just come out.  I am trying to install it.  I am using a Desktop computer, Windows 10 and the latest version of JAWS.  I have downloaded and saved the application for the new Beta version but when I go to the folder where it is and hit the Enter key after locating it, instead of giving me the option to install it I am getting a dialog that just says “get app from store.”  I know apps are only used with phones and I don’t know how to handle apps as I have only a cell phone, not an i-phone, so I don’t know how to rectify this problem and download the Beta version to my Desktop.

Rick Miller

Mike B

Hi Rick,

Apps are now for PC's as well.  You need to tell your computer that you want to install the appfrom other than the Microsoft store, steps below.

To change your app download and installation options  to something other than the Microsoft Store do the following:
1. Windows + I, for settings and tab 1 time to, System.
2. Navigate to, Apps, and press enter.
3. The first folder in the list is, Apps and Features, press enter on this, and tab 1 time to the Choose where to get your apps combobox.  Press, Alt + down arrow, to open the
combobox, arrow up / down to the option you want and press enter.  You can Alt + F4 to close after you've made your choice.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2020 7:25 PM
Subject: I Cannot Install the new JAWS Beta

Dear Listers:

I understand that  the new JAWS 2021 Beta version has just come out.  I am trying to install it.  I am using a Desktop computer, Windows 10 and the latest version of JAWS.  I have downloaded and saved the application for the new Beta version but when I go to the folder where it is and hit the Enter key after locating it, instead of giving me the option to install it I am getting a dialog that just says “get app from store.”  I know apps are only used with phones and I don’t know how to handle apps as I have only a cell phone, not an i-phone, so I don’t know how to rectify this problem and download the Beta version to my Desktop.

Rick Miller

Cornelius

Since that is a beta, kindly contact freedom scientific so that they could assist you. I am sure they are interested to find out what happen so that they could improve or fix it in the next beta.

Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2020 10:25 AM
To: jfw@groups.io

Dear Listers:

Rick Miller

Dan Longmore

Hi,

When you get this screen you should have the option to “Continue” or “get apps from Microsoft store only”.  If you click continue JAWS should then begin to install.

Dan

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick Miller
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2020 10:26 PM

Dear Listers:

Rick Miller

Randy Meyer

Sent: Friday, September 11, 2020 9:26 PM

Dear Listers:

Rick Miller

Loy

Here is the steps to tell Windows to let you install non Windows Store apps  This will fix your problem.
  1. Click Start > Click Settings.
  2. In the Settings window, click Apps.
  3. In Apps & Features, change “Choose where to get apps” from The Microsoft Store only (recommended) to Anywhere.
  4. Close the Settings window. The change will only take effect when you close the window.

Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2020 2:27 PM
Subject: Re: I Cannot Install the new JAWS Beta

Dear Listers:

Rick Miller

Richard Turner

Thank you Loy,

I noticed there are four options, 1. only from the Microsoft Store, 2.  anywhere, but warn me if tit is not from the Microsoft store, 3.  anywhere but let me know if there is a comparable app in the Microsoft store, and 4.  Anywhere.

That should help in the future.

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Loy
Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2020 11:35 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Here is the steps to tell Windows to let you install non Windows Store apps  This will fix your problem.

1.    Click Start > Click Settings.

2.    In the Settings window, click Apps.

3.    In Apps & Features, change “Choose where to get apps” from The Microsoft Store only (recommended) to Anywhere.

4.    Close the Settings window. The change will only take effect when you close the window.

Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2020 2:27 PM

Dear Listers:

Rick Miller

It has nothing to do with the Beta but with the Windows 10 setting on where you allow apps to come from.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cornelius
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2020 9:30 PM

Since that is a beta, kindly contact freedom scientific so that they could assist you. I am sure they are interested to find out what happen so that they could improve or fix it in the next beta.

Dear Listers:

Rick Miller

Rick Miller

So if I were to go to Windows Settings, what changes should I make?  I have never dealt with apps before because I don’t have a phone.  I have a Desktop.

Rick Miller

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Sunday, September 13, 2020 12:17 PM

It has nothing to do with the Beta but with the Windows 10 setting on where you allow apps to come from.

Dear Listers:

Rick Miller

Richard Turner

Windows 10 has adopted the same language as phones. So Apps, in Microsoft's world, are  somewhat synonymous with programs.
Here are steps from another member:

1.    Click Start > Click Settings.

2.    In the Settings window, click Apps.

3.    In Apps & Features, change “Choose where to get apps” from The Microsoft Store only (recommended) to Anywhere.

4.    Close the Settings window. The change will only take effect when you close the window.

I noticed there are four options, 1. only from the Microsoft Store, 2.  anywhere, but warn me if tit is not from the Microsoft store, 3.  anywhere but let me know if there is a comparable app in the Microsoft store, and 4. Anywhere.HTH,.

Richard
"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

On Sep 13, 2020, at 2:14 PM, Rick Miller <rm1263@...> wrote:

So if I were to go to Windows Settings, what changes should I make?  I have never dealt with apps before because I don’t have a phone.  I have a Desktop.

Rick Miller

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Sunday, September 13, 2020 12:17 PM

Dear Listers:

Rick Miller