moderated How to use Find feature in MS Word

Gezim Rexha

Hi List,

Could somebody please tell me how to use Find feature in MS Word? My impression is that it has changed from the older versions.

Cheers,

Gezim

Curtis Chong

Good morning:

It is difficult to know how to answer your very broad question about the Find function in Word. What about how it behaves now is causing you trouble? At its core, Find in Word works a lot like it used to with a few minor exceptions. The one thing that has improved is what JAWS brings to the table. In a Word document, you can press the JAWS key with the letter f to invoke the JAWS find function. Pressing the JAWS key with F3 repeats the find to move you to the next occurrence.

If I missed the mark on this one, please let us know what your issue is.

Thanks.

With kind regards,

Curtis Chong

Could somebody please tell me how to use Find feature in MS Word? My impression is that it has changed from the older versions.

Cheers,

Gezim

Curtis Chong

Hello:

I erred in my previous email. To use JAWS to find something in word, press CTRL with the JAWS key and the letter f.

Kind regards,

Curtis Chong

On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 12:09 PM, Gezim Rexha wrote:
My impression is that it has changed from the older versions.
-
The native Find feature in Word has been the same for some years now.  Well before Word 2016 it behaved as it does in that version and the later versions which are its direct descendants.  That is unless they've done something very recently in Microsoft 365.

    ~ William Plomer

Bill White

Hi, Gezim. The first time you use the Find feature in Microsoft Word (CONTROL plus F), it works the same way it always did. What has changed is that, once you have entered a search term into the search box, it is difficult to get the Find feature to search properly. What I do is to make sure the Search pane is turned on in the status line, so that, when you press F6, the search pane will eventually appear. If this is done, you can press F6 until Search comes up, and then remove the previous search term, and enter another search term.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Could somebody please tell me how to use Find feature in MS Word? My impression is that it has changed from the older versions.

Cheers,

Gezim

Ann Byrne

In Word 2019 It does seem to behave differently. Often ctrl+f does nothing. Sometimes I use alt+h, f, d and it works more often. Using JAWS find seems about the best command.

At 11:47 AM 9/8/2021, you wrote:
On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 12:09 PM, Gezim Rexha wrote:
My impression is that it has changed from the older versions.

-The native Find feature in Word has been the same for some years now. Well before Word 2016 it behaved as it does in that version and the later versions which are its direct descendants. That is unless they've done something very recently in Microsoft 365.--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043 Â

   ~ William Plomer

On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 12:51 PM, Bill White wrote:
What has changed is that, once you have entered a search term into the search box, it is difficult to get the Find feature to search properly.
-
Bill,

Try hitting Escape once you're done with the current search/find.  That clears the current search term and the next time you hit CTRL+F you're right back where you need to enter it.

    ~ William Plomer

JM Casey

Hey guys.

It might be important to know what version of Word you all are using.

For me, using Word 2016, find is pretty simple and doesn’t require moving between the paynes. Once I find my first result, I press escape, and the search box disappears, placing me in the correct position of the document. Then to find the next or previous occurrences, you can use ctrl-pgdown and ctrl-pgup respectively.