moderated How to use Find feature in MS Word

Gezim Rexha

Hi List,

Could somebody please tell me how to use Find feature in MS Word? My impression is that it has changed from the older versions.

Cheers,

Gezim

Curtis Chong

Good morning:

It is difficult to know how to answer your very broad question about the Find function in Word. What about how it behaves now is causing you trouble? At its core, Find in Word works a lot like it used to with a few minor exceptions. The one thing that has improved is what JAWS brings to the table. In a Word document, you can press the JAWS key with the letter f to invoke the JAWS find function. Pressing the JAWS key with F3 repeats the find to move you to the next occurrence.

If I missed the mark on this one, please let us know what your issue is.

Thanks.

With kind regards,

Curtis Chong

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gezim Rexha
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2021 10:09 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: How to use Find feature in MS Word

Hi List,

Could somebody please tell me how to use Find feature in MS Word? My impression is that it has changed from the older versions.

Cheers,

Gezim

Curtis Chong

Hello:

I erred in my previous email. To use JAWS to find something in word, press CTRL with the JAWS key and the letter f.

Kind regards,

Curtis Chong

On Sep 8, 2021, at 10:09 AM, Gezim Rexha <gezim_rexha@...> wrote:

Hi List,

Cheers,

Gezim

On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 12:09 PM, Gezim Rexha wrote:
My impression is that it has changed from the older versions.
-
The native Find feature in Word has been the same for some years now.  Well before Word 2016 it behaved as it does in that version and the later versions which are its direct descendants.  That is unless they've done something very recently in Microsoft 365.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

Bill White

Hi, Gezim. The first time you use the Find feature in Microsoft Word (CONTROL plus F), it works the same way it always did. What has changed is that, once you have entered a search term into the search box, it is difficult to get the Find feature to search properly. What I do is to make sure the Search pane is turned on in the status line, so that, when you press F6, the search pane will eventually appear. If this is done, you can press F6 until Search comes up, and then remove the previous search term, and enter another search term.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gezim Rexha
Sent: Wednesday, September 8, 2021 9:09 AM

Hi List,

Cheers,

Gezim

Ann Byrne

In Word 2019 It does seem to behave differently. Often ctrl+f does nothing. Sometimes I use alt+h, f, d and it works more often. Using JAWS find seems about the best command.

At 11:47 AM 9/8/2021, you wrote:

-The native Find feature in Word has been the same for some years now. Well before Word 2016 it behaved as it does in that version and the later versions which are its direct descendants. That is unless they've done something very recently in Microsoft 365.--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043 Â

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 12:51 PM, Bill White wrote:
What has changed is that, once you have entered a search term into the search box, it is difficult to get the Find feature to search properly.
-
Bill,

Try hitting Escape once you're done with the current search/find.  That clears the current search term and the next time you hit CTRL+F you're right back where you need to enter it.
--

~ William Plomer

JM Casey

Hey guys.

It might be important to know what version of Word you all are using.

For me, using Word 2016, find is pretty simple and doesn’t require moving between the paynes. Once I find my first result, I press escape, and the search box disappears, placing me in the correct position of the document. Then to find the next or previous occurrences, you can use ctrl-pgdown and ctrl-pgup respectively.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: September 8, 2021 12:51 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: How to use Find feature in MS Word

Hi, Gezim. The first time you use the Find feature in Microsoft Word (CONTROL plus F), it works the same way it always did. What has changed is that, once you have entered a search term into the search box, it is difficult to get the Find feature to search properly. What I do is to make sure the Search pane is turned on in the status line, so that, when you press F6, the search pane will eventually appear. If this is done, you can press F6 until Search comes up, and then remove the previous search term, and enter another search term.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gezim Rexha
Sent: Wednesday, September 8, 2021 9:09 AM

Hi List,

Cheers,

Gezim

CJ &AA MAY

For some time now I have been using control h instead of control f for find.
This is the find and replace command but it is easier to use than control f.

Alison

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ann Byrne
Sent: 08 September 2021 18:12

In Word 2019 It does seem to behave
differently. Often ctrl+f does
nothing. Sometimes I use alt+h, f, d and it works more often. Using JAWS
find seems about the best command.

At 11:47 AM 9/8/2021, you wrote:

-The native Find feature in Word has been the same for some years now.Â
Well before Word 2016 it behaved as it does in that version and the
later versions which are its direct descendants. That is unless
they've done something very recently in Microsoft 365.--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043 Â

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between
thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly
different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the
power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

Bill White

Hi, Brian. I just tried escape to clear the search dialog, and, not only did it not clear the search dialog, it did what Ann Byrne referred to in her last message. When I pressed CONTROL plus F, JAWS spoke nothing, and there was no search dialog box. This is why I clear the search in the search pane by going to it by using F6, and clearing the search box there.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, September 8, 2021 10:15 AM

What has changed is that, once you have entered a search term into the search box, it is difficult to get the Find feature to search properly.

-
Bill,

Try hitting Escape once you're done with the current search/find.  That clears the current search term and the next time you hit CTRL+F you're right back where you need to enter it.
--

~ William Plomer

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

Control f while focused in a document in Word always has worked and continues to work for me. Something peculiar is happening as I believe this is the intended behavior in Word since time immemorial. Now, sometimes, after typing my search string and pressing enter and then escape, I find my focus in not on the word for which I was searching. But if I then press Control with page down, my focus moves where it is supposed t go.

Having Control with f not working in Word  is definitely a problem.

Kindly,

Curtis Chong

Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2021 12:16 PM

Hi, Brian. I just tried escape to clear the search dialog, and, not only did it not clear the search dialog, it did what Ann Byrne referred to in her last message. When I pressed CONTROL plus F, JAWS spoke nothing, and there was no search dialog box. This is why I clear the search in the search pane by going to it by using F6, and clearing the search box there.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

-
Bill,

--

~ William Plomer

On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 02:16 PM, Bill White wrote:
Hi, Brian. I just tried escape to clear the search dialog
-
Bill,

I think that many of us, and I include myself in this, are really talking at cross-purposes about different things here.  CTRL + F, in Word, has for the longest time opened what is called the Navigation Pane, which contains an edit box very much akin to the Find/Find & Replace dialog, which is an entirely different animal.

I don't have anything more recent than Word 2016 to work with here at home, but I've played with Word 2019 (or think I have at one point) and Word 365 and, at the time I did so, they were behaving precisely as Word 2016 does.

This is an instance where we all have to be very, very aware of precisely what function it is we're actually using, as at one time CTRL + F did invoke the Find Dialog, if memory serves.  It has been so long since I used any version of Word where that was the case, rather than the Navigation Pane coming up, that I honestly cannot be certain my memory is accurate or not.
--

~ William Plomer

Panagiotis Antonopoulos

Hi Curtis/all,

While control-f appears not to be working effectively any longer, I use jawskey-contrl-f and it usually works well.

Hope this helps,

Takis

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Curtis Chong
Sent: Τετάρτη, 8 Σεπτεμβρίου 2021 22:15

Greetings:

Control f while focused in a document in Word always has worked and continues to work for me. Something peculiar is happening as I believe this is the intended behavior in Word since time immemorial. Now, sometimes, after typing my search string and pressing enter and then escape, I find my focus in not on the word for which I was searching. But if I then press Control with page down, my focus moves where it is supposed t go.

Kindly,

Curtis Chong

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

-
Bill,

--

~ William Plomer

JM Casey

Hey.

You all can benefit from knowing that ctrl-pgdn and ctrl-pgup will place your cursor on the next and previous results. It’s pretty efficient this way. But yes, not the same as the find/replace dialogue, which you can get to with ctrl-h.

Sent: September 8, 2021 03:15 PM

Greetings:

Kindly,

Curtis Chong

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

-
Bill,

--

~ William Plomer

Shirley Tracy

I have found that both are unstable. I sometimes try one and then the other before I find the one that works. I didn’t know about control+H.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

Sent: Wednesday, September 8, 2021 3:39 PM

Hi Curtis/all,

While control-f appears not to be working effectively any longer, I use jawskey-contrl-f and it usually works well.

Hope this helps,

Takis

Greetings:

Kindly,

Curtis Chong

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

-
Bill,

--

~ William Plomer

JM Casey

Hi.

There really shouldn’t’ be any instability. We’re talking about a kind of feature that has been around for as long as word processors or text editors themselves. It may just be a matter of getting familiar with Word’s little quirks, I guess.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shirley Tracy
Sent: September 8, 2021 04:13 PM

I have found that both are unstable. I sometimes try one and then the other before I find the one that works. I didn’t know about control+H.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

Sent: Wednesday, September 8, 2021 3:39 PM

Hi Curtis/all,

Hope this helps,

Takis

Greetings:

Kindly,

Curtis Chong

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

-
Bill,

--

~ William Plomer

On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 04:32 PM, JM Casey wrote:
There really shouldn’t’ be any instability. We’re talking about a kind of feature that has been around for as long as word processors or text editors themselves.
-
Precisely.

Were this instability anything near to universal or common the complaints from the embedded user base of MS-Word would be many and loud.

People just don't seem to want to accept that when something "quirky" is happening for them, but for very few others, the issue is likely one that lies either with some corruption in the installed software or the end user.

Ask anyone who is a professional computer technician, and they'll agree:  Most Computer Issues Are Idiosyncratic – Not Global

--

~ William Plomer

Shirley Tracy

I have to respectfully differ with you. I never had a problem with the “find” command until just lately. I’m not the sharpest person with technology, but I have used Word for many, many years. And control/F doesn’t always work now. Sometimes JAWS key plus control works, and sometimes not. I’ll have to try using H.

There can be many reasons why things of recently changed—but it’s not always the user.  

Shirley Tracy

Sent: Wednesday, September 8, 2021 5:49 PM

On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 04:32 PM, JM Casey wrote:

There really shouldn’t’ be any instability. We’re talking about a kind of feature that has been around for as long as word processors or text editors themselves.

-
Precisely.

Were this instability anything near to universal or common the complaints from the embedded user base of MS-Word would be many and loud.

People just don't seem to want to accept that when something "quirky" is happening for them, but for very few others, the issue is likely one that lies either with some corruption in the installed software or the end user.

Ask anyone who is a professional computer technician, and they'll agree:  Most Computer Issues Are Idiosyncratic – Not Global

--

~ William Plomer

Shirley,

You can differ with me if you like, it doesn't change the fact that this is most likely a software problem on your machine, or something you're doing.

The fact that you never had problems with find before support my position, they don't weaken it.  There are a couple of people who've reported issues in this very topic, which is about problems with find, while as many or more say they're not having them.  That supports my position, too.  If these were actual widespread bugs a very, very great many people should be having the same, or very similar issues.
--

~ William Plomer

Shirley Tracy

Okay. I’ll give you that one. I just don’t want to think there’s anything wrong with my computer, software, or the JAWS program which I would then have to do some repairs. But in all honesty, I didn’t notice the find problem until the last JAWS update. I already had to have help from Microsoft with my files hiding everywhere (I only slightly exaggerate).

Have a good day.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

Sent: Wednesday, September 8, 2021 6:34 PM

Shirley,

You can differ with me if you like, it doesn't change the fact that this is most likely a software problem on your machine, or something you're doing.

The fact that you never had problems with find before support my position, they don't weaken it.  There are a couple of people who've reported issues in this very topic, which is about problems with find, while as many or more say they're not having them.  That supports my position, too.  If these were actual widespread bugs a very, very great many people should be having the same, or very similar issues.
--

~ William Plomer