Topics

moderated How to Read Kindle Books with Jaws Keyboard Commands

Ed Culpepper

I am not able to read Kindle books using Jaws keyboard commands. For example, I cannot use “Say All” (Jaws command Insert + down arrow) to read continuously. I have to use the Kindle command (Shift + spacebar) to toggle continuous reading on and off. With Kindle commands I can’t read word-by- word or other reading methods that would be possible with Jaws commands. I am missing something, but I have no idea what. I am running Jaws 2020, Windows 10 with latest updates. My Kindle for PC is version 1.28.0 (57030) updated 2/28/2020. I keep reading that Jaws is now able to read Kindle books with Jaws keyboard commands and that the Kindle Accessibility Plug-in is no longer needed. I want to be able to read and study Kindle books more efficiently. Please help.

and that the Kindle Accessibility Plug-in is no longer needed. I want to be able to read and study Kindle books more efficiently. Please help.

J Edward Culpepper, PhD

Huntsville, Alabama

Chris Hill

Weird, but try hitting alt to bring up the menus and then hitting it again to make them go away, that seems to let jaws start working with the content.

Loook in the options for a setting about page turn animations, make sure it is off.  When on, jaws commands don't work, when off they do.

On 3/30/2020 16:05, Ed Culpepper wrote:

[...]

Tried all to no avail. "Page turn" is turned off; in “Tools/Options” I turned it on and back off with no change in use of Jaws keyboard commands able to read books. I have searched this list archives and Jaws support but have found no help to get Jaws keyboard commands to work with Kindle. Additional suggestions? J Edward Culpepper, PhD

Huntsville, Alabama

Chris Hill

Probably time to contact fs.