From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of CJ &AA MAY
Sent: February 15, 2021 03:10 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: how to download without going through f6 downlod bar

A while ago someone mentioned how to download and the item would automatically be placed in your downloads folder without having to go through the f6 procedure. Could someone please remind me how this is done.

And, whilst on this topic, do we no longer use alt n to access the save or open options?

Alison

Richard Turner

After I determined my download folder, I navigated to it with File Explorer, and while it was selected, but not opened, I right click or use shift+f10 and select create shortcut.
Then copy that shortcut to my desktop and I can jump to that folder any old time.

Richard

"Why, what did she tell you?"
"I don't know, I didn't listen."

On Feb 15, 2021, at 1:17 PM, JM Casey <jmcasey@...> wrote:

Files are automatically placed in whatever folder you have set as your downloads folder in your browser. F6 just takes you to the downloads payne where you can 8view* your files – f6 doesn’t actually do anything, per se, just places your focus on the downloads area.

Are you looking to either see what folder your downloads are going to in-browser? Do you want to change it? Do you want a prompt, or no prompt?

All this is stuff you configure in settings of your browser of choice. Of course there are default settings – I cannot remember what those are as I am always fiddling with stuff. Right now Chrome just downloads when I activate a download link or button; no prompt or anything. I think I have Firefox set to be a bit more “prompty”. Often though what I’ll do in either is open the context menu for a link, press k, and enter in a filename from  there when the usual ‘save as” dialogue box pops up.  You can enter a full path there too, so there’s never any doubt or question as to where your files are going.

A while ago someone mentioned how to download and the item would automatically be placed in your downloads folder without having to go through the f6 procedure. Could someone please remind me how this is done.

And, whilst on this topic, do we no longer use alt n to access the save or open options?

Alison

Mike B

Now assign a shortcut keystroke to that desktop Downloads shortcut and get to it just a little quicker.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

A while ago someone mentioned how to download and the item would automatically be placed in your downloads folder without having to go through the f6 procedure. Could someone please remind me how this is done.

And, whilst on this topic, do we no longer use alt n to access the save or open options?

Alison

CJ &AA MAY

What I want is to hit the download link and have the item go directly to my Downloads folder without any other interaction. At the moment, unless I go through the f6 option and select download, all I get is a temporary file in my downloads folder.

Alison

[...]

Maria Reyes

When I use F6 to go to downloads bar and open the downloaded file it always stays in the downloads folder. But I use Google Chrome so I don't know if that's different for other browsers.

want to talk about all sorts of topics? join my list by sending an email to blind-chatroom-request@... with subscribe in the subject field.

[...]

JM Casey

Hello Allison

Ok, something doesn’t make sense here. A temporary file in your downloads folder? That usually only happens if you have downloads that are incomplete. Browsers generally don’t remove anything otherwise. If a download is in progress you will sometimes see two or more “parts” of that file, which are then copied into the proper filespace/name once the download is finished, deleting the temporary parts. Otherwise, you should have no temporary files in your downloads folder, and they should not be deleted.

What is it you are actually doing once you press f6? I mean what’s the next step you take? Are you getting a prompt that says that has buttons for you to activate? I have not actually seen that, if so, but it may have to do with my settings.

What browser are you using?

[...]

David Diamond

I too don’t understand what Alice’s problem is.  When I download something it goes straight into my downloads folder.  If incomplete, I hear …part.  Which tells me the file is not completely downloaded and in truth, I closed it before the entire file was downloaded.  Thus I just delete that file and download it again.  Sorry, Alice.  For the record I’ve never used the F6 function to go into my downloads folder although it does tell me to view downloaded items go to F6.