Topics

moderated How to disable "Add Blocker" in Google Chrom

Paul Filpus

Hello Listers,

I tried listening live to a local radio station using Google Chrome, but it said I’d have to disable Add Blocker first. How does one do that? I had no trouble listening to that station using IE.

Thanks,

Paul Filpus

Paul Filpus

Correction: "ADD BLOCKER" should be spelled "AD BLOCKER".

Paul

James English

go to your extentions, find your adblocker and click disable.

On 10/12/20, Paul Filpus <Paulfilpus@...> wrote:
Correction: "ADD BLOCKER" should be spelled "AD BLOCKER".

Paul

Mike B

Try the following:
1. Open the menues with, Alt + F, and up arrow to, submenu More Tools, and press enter.

2. Down arrow to, Extensions, and press enter.

3. Down arrow to find this AdBlocker extension and when you find it down arrow to the, Details button, and press the spacebar.  Now tab 1 time to, Extension Enabled Toggle button Pressed.

4. Press the spacebar so that Jaws reports, Extension Enabled Toggle button Not Pressed.  You might have to tab and shift tab back to it and if Jaws doesn't report, Pressed, it's off.

5. If you tab 2 more times you'll find   a list of 3 Ad Block settings that you use your up and down arrow keys to change.  These options are, On click clickable, On specific sites clickable and On all sites

6. After making any setting changes they should take place immediately, but closing and restarting Chrome is good to do just to make sure.

Take care and stay safe.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers, Lakers & Rams!

Sent: Monday, October 12, 2020 2:39 AM
Subject: How to disable "Add Blocker" in Google Chrom

Hello Listers,

I tried listening live to a local radio station using Google Chrome, but it said I’d have to disable Add Blocker first. How does one do that? I had no trouble listening to that station using IE.

Thanks,

Paul Filpus

Mike B

Hi again Paul,

Disregard steps 5 and 6.  This isn't the correct way to change the AdBlock Plus settings and I can't figure out how to do it as of yet.

Take care and stay safe.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers, Lakers & Rams!

Sent: Monday, October 12, 2020 2:39 AM

Hello Listers,

I tried listening live to a local radio station using Google Chrome, but it said I’d have to disable Add Blocker first. How does one do that? I had no trouble listening to that station using IE.

Thanks,

Paul Filpus

Have you installed an ad-blocking extension in Chrome?  If not, there's nothing to be done, as Chrome (and most browsers, for that matter) do not have an ad-blocker built-in.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Mike B

I believe he had installed the extension, Adblock Plus.

Sent: Monday, October 12, 2020 8:49 AM
Subject: Re: How to disable "Add Blocker" in Google Chrom

Have you installed an ad-blocking extension in Chrome?  If not, there's nothing to be done, as Chrome (and most browsers, for that matter) do not have an ad-blocker built-in.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

There is no statement from the original poster that there is any ad blocker, hence my comment.  Regardless of which one he may have installed, I'd give the following advice:

1. Ignore the demand it be turned off and try what you're trying to do anyway.  Very often these warnings are given solely because there is a desire to serve up ads, not because the function will not work when an ad blocker is on.  It's always worth trying.

2. As someone already mentioned, you can go to the Chrome Extensions page, ALT+F,L,E [Menu, More Tools option, Extensions], locate your ad block extension and either toggle it off (most likely) or remove it entirely (not a good idea).

3. If you find you do need to have the Ad Blocker disabled, then I'd take the effort to actually have it turn itself off for the site where you need it to be turned off without being disabled entirely.  I no longer use AdBlock Plus, so cannot tell you the exact steps to do this under that extension.  I went to uBlock Origin in all browsers that don't have ad-blocking built in quite a while back.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Paul Filpus

Hello Guys,

I tried Mike's 4-step procedure and it worked! I'm now able to listen to radio stations using the Chrome browser. I've noted the rest of the replies here, so I can get more good ideas of working with Adblocker.

Thanks to all,
Paul