moderated How to delete favorites in the edge browser

Kimber Gardner

Hello,

In the olden times of internet explorer I used to delete unwanted
favorites by accessing the folder in windows explorer, moving down the
list and pressing the delete key. Now that I'm using Edge that no
longer seems to be an option. Although I located the folder where the
bookmarks are supposed to live, I can't seem to open it.

Is there a better, i.e. simpler way to delete favorites I no longer
use? My favorites have become cluttered and often more trouble than
they are worth. So hoping someone can help. When I googled this
question all the instructions read like click on this, click on that
which was not at all helpful.

Any help is appreciated.

Kim

--
Kimberly

Paste the following in to your Edge address bar:  edge://favorites/

The result is something very similar to file explorer, but it's a favorites explorer, and you can choose to delete whole folders or individual favorites in existing folders depending on what you have currently displaying over in the items view side based on what's selected on the tree view side.  Each item in the items view has a delete button associated with it.

It is literally easier to open this and start exploring to find these bits and play around with it than trying to give any step by step instructions based upon some abstract set of favorites.

     ~ Lauren Bacall

Kimber Gardner

Thanks Brian. That did help, but my favorites are still a complete
mess. I have all these subfolders that say imported from IE, imported
from firefox etc. I can't see how to get rid of the folders I don't
want or to move the favorites from subfolders into the main folder. I
feel like it would almost be easier to delete every single favorite
and start over because the way my favorites are now they are pretty
much useless.

I see from googling that I'm not alone in my frustration so I'll keep
plugging away. Thanks again for the help.

Kim

Paste the following in to your Edge address bar: edge://favorites/

The result is something very similar to file explorer, but it's a favorites
explorer, and you can choose to delete whole folders or individual favorites
in existing folders depending on what you have currently displaying over in
the items view side based on what's selected on the tree view side. Each
item in the items view has a delete button associated with it.

It is literally easier to open this and start exploring to find these bits
and play around with it than trying to give any step by step instructions
based upon some abstract set of favorites.

*Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete. If
you’re alive, it isn’t.
* ~ Lauren Bacall

--
Kimberly

Karen Reynolds

Hi Kim,
There is a folder, sometimes there is a shortcut on your desktop. You might have to do a search for it on your computer. It has your name on it, or the name of the person the account belongs to on the computer. Go into that folder and there is a folder of your favorites. You can move them around, delete them, edit them, etc.

I'm using Windows 10 so not sure this is true for 11.

Karen

On Sun, Apr 10, 2022 at 04:31 PM, Karen Reynolds wrote:
I'm using Windows 10 so not sure this is true for 11.
-
Then I would appreciate knowing where you're going, and what you're doing.

Favorites for Edge are handled as they are for all other Chromium based browsers, and they're in a file named Bookmarks (why Microsoft didn't adopt this term inside Edge itself to match all other Chromium based browsers is a mystery).

There is no folder of browser favorites as there once was under Internet Explorer that Edge uses.  Or if there is, I want to know where it is.

     ~ Lauren Bacall

Kim,

You could also consider Exporting your favorites, which places them in an HTML file, and then using MS-Word to edit the result, then try importing the edited result.

If you decide to do this, I would definitely create a separate Edge User Profile for your initial import testing so that you're sure that they're coming in as you expect them to and that it's safe to nuke all of your original favorites in your real Edge profile before doing the import there.

     ~ Lauren Bacall

Bill White

Hi, Brian. There is no folder in Windows that contains single Favorites as there was in Internet Explorer. What Karen may be thinking of is that, once Edge is set as your default browser, old Shortcut-type favorites will work with Microsoft Edge, but must be made singly and manually through the Windows shortcut process. She also may be thinking of the process in Edge, under "More Settings>Apps>Manage Apps", where a website may be added as an app, and will be added to the Start Menu.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

On Sun, Apr 10, 2022 at 04:31 PM, Karen Reynolds wrote:

I'm using Windows 10 so not sure this is true for 11.

-
Then I would appreciate knowing where you're going, and what you're doing.

Favorites for Edge are handled as they are for all other Chromium based browsers, and they're in a file named Bookmarks (why Microsoft didn't adopt this term inside Edge itself to match all other Chromium based browsers is a mystery).

There is no folder of browser favorites as there once was under Internet Explorer that Edge uses.  Or if there is, I want to know where it is.

     ~ Lauren Bacall

David Kingsbury

Hi Kimber,

Below is an excerpt from my book which describes a universal way of dealint with bookmarks/favorites, one of the advantages being that you don’t need to relearn all this stuff for each of the browsers you use.

Regards,

David

Here goes:

I will not go over the processes for creating, accessing and managing bookmarks and favorites in the various browsers. Instead, I will present a single approach for centralizing creation and management of favorites/bookmarks in a single folder. Doing all this in a single folder greatly simplifies and streamlines the whole process of managing them if you use multiple browsers. And even if you use a single browser, the process outlined below is easier to learn and use than doing it in any of the browsers.

First, create a new folder somewhere on your computer. This could be in the Documents folder. However, if you use Dropbox or OneDrive, create it in one of those places because this will back up the folder to the cloud. Second, create a desktop shortcut for this folder (see Chapter 7.8 below on how to do this). This will speed up the process of creating, accessing, and managing your favorites.

Steps for creating a favorite are:

1.     On the web page you want to make a favorite, and in whatever browser you happen to be in at the moment, press Alt D or F6 to navigate to the Address bar where the page’s URL is already highlighted.

2.     Press Control C to copy the URL to the Clipboard.

3.     Open the Favorites folder shortcut that you have created on your desktop.

4.     To add the favorite to one of the subfolders here, navigate to it and press Enter. Skip this step if you do not want to place it in a subfolder.

5.     Press Alt H W S which is the ribbon shortcut key for creating a shortcut (I use “World Series” as my mnemonic for this).

6.     You land in an edit field. Press Control V to paste the URL here, and then press Enter.

7.     Type in the name you want to give the favorite in this second edit field, and press Enter.

Managing favorites in this folder is easy because you use the same keystrokes as when managing files and folders elsewhere on the computer. Relevant keystrokes are:

·       Control Shift N: Create new folder.

·       Enter: Open folder.

·       Backspace: Go back up one folder level (Alt Left arrow and Alt Up arrow will also work).

·       Control C: Copy favorite.

·       Control X: Cut favorite.

·       Control V: Paste favorite.

·       F2: Rename folder or favorite.

·       Delete: Delete favorite or folder.

As in your Documents folder, you can first-letter navigate to folders and individual favorites. You can also select multiple folders and favorites, something that is not possible when you manage them in the other browsers.

Many people who have made the transition away from Internet Explorer to one of the other browsers cite grappling with bookmarks as a big challenge. If you adopt the above approach, you can sidestep these problems.

Bill White

Hi, David. In your below steps for creating a shortcut for a website, under step five, you might want to add the following,

By default, nothing is selected in the folder where you will be pressing Alt H W S, to create the shortcut. If, however, anything is selected in the folder, this step will not work until nothing is selected in the folder. Make sure nothing is selected in the folder by pressing Control plus Space, until the screen reader says Not Selected, or until no files or folders are highlighted on the screen

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Steve Nutt

The problem I have with this approach is that your favourites are not synchronised.

I have Chrome. I am logged into a Google account, so if I create a favourite in Chrome in the normal way, I can access it on my phone anywhere. If I use David’s approach, it is only unique to that PC. So that seems a little old fashioned to do it that way to me.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

[...]

Mike Pietruk

Steve

I understand what you are saying; but is it truly safe and secure to rely
on something like the cloud given all of the potential hacking,
international intriegue, and all the rest.
And do we really know who might have access to our data in that mysterious
entity known as the cloud.
So, it might be old-fashioned; but you can always periodically copy
favorites to other devices if that's what you need.
While I marvel at what the power of technology can do; I am also sensing
more and more that it's going to bite us back also if we're not careful.
Be careful as to what we wish as there are 2 potential sides to
everything.
We've seen the wonders of technology as to what it can do for us; but
perhaps we should discern what it might do to us.

Steve Nutt

Tell you what? I don't want to have to copy my new favourites to the phone
every time I go out, just not practical.

And no doubt you have an iPhone or an Android phone, if not then I
apologise, but if you do, you have to log into their cloud services whether
you like it or not. There is security, then there is paranoia.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@...
I understand what you are saying; but is it truly safe and secure to rely on
something like the cloud given all of the potential hacking, international
intriegue, and all the rest.
And do we really know who might have access to our data in that mysterious
entity known as the cloud.
So, it might be old-fashioned; but you can always periodically copy
favorites to other devices if that's what you need.
While I marvel at what the power of technology can do; I am also sensing
more and more that it's going to bite us back also if we're not careful.
Be careful as to what we wish as there are 2 potential sides to everything.
We've seen the wonders of technology as to what it can do for us; but
perhaps we should discern what it might do to us.

Bill White

I don't have an iPhone, and I don't have sync turned on in any of my
browsers, so I don't need any devices to be synced.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I understand what you are saying; but is it truly safe and secure to rely on
something like the cloud given all of the potential hacking, international
intriegue, and all the rest.
And do we really know who might have access to our data in that mysterious
entity known as the cloud.
So, it might be old-fashioned; but you can always periodically copy
favorites to other devices if that's what you need.
While I marvel at what the power of technology can do; I am also sensing
more and more that it's going to bite us back also if we're not careful.
Be careful as to what we wish as there are 2 potential sides to everything.
We've seen the wonders of technology as to what it can do for us; but
perhaps we should discern what it might do to us.

Steve Nutt

That's fair enough. But if you do use one of these ecosystems, it's very
convenient to have all your favourites synced to those devices.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@...

I understand what you are saying; but is it truly safe and secure to rely on
something like the cloud given all of the potential hacking, international
intriegue, and all the rest.
And do we really know who might have access to our data in that mysterious
entity known as the cloud.
So, it might be old-fashioned; but you can always periodically copy
favorites to other devices if that's what you need.
While I marvel at what the power of technology can do; I am also sensing
more and more that it's going to bite us back also if we're not careful.
Be careful as to what we wish as there are 2 potential sides to everything.
We've seen the wonders of technology as to what it can do for us; but
perhaps we should discern what it might do to us.

Mike Pietruk

Bill

Same here! The only device I need to have synced is a laptop onto which I
can easily tranfer so-called favorites is via a thumb drive.
I do something similar to what David, in his book, outlines.
My favorites are .htm files which I edit in the classic text editor,
Edsharp, and which have a homepage link into each of my browsers.
That way, I can choose whatever browser I want whenever (right now they're
Chrome and Edge) and I have all the links available to me whichever
browser I happen to want to choose.

I started doing this late in my XP days, then in Win 7, and now in Win 10.
This way, I don't concern myself with the bookmarking intracacies a given
browser might have; and that I suspect is why David came up with his
approach.

There are many ways to skin the favorites cat; and one can use whichever
fits their current needs.

David Kingsbury

Hi all,

If you save your favorites folder in Dropbox or some other cloud app and add that app to your smart phone, you can access the favorites on your smart phone that way from whatever your default phone browser is.

David

Andrew J. LaPointe

Hi David, how do I obtain a copy of your latest book that is on the carroll center’s website? I don’t seem to be able to find the link.  Thank you. Andy and Leroy

If you save your favorites folder in Dropbox or some other cloud app and add that app to your smart phone, you can access the favorites on your smart phone that way from whatever your default phone browser is.

David

Bill White

Hi, Andy. You must click the Shop link first, then the link to download the book is on the next page. You must fill in your email, city, state, and phone number before the link for his book comes up. If any of these fields is omitted, you will get an error, and the link won't come up.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi David, how do I obtain a copy of your latest book that is on the carroll center’s website? I don’t seem to be able to find the link.  Thank you. Andy and Leroy

If you save your favorites folder in Dropbox or some other cloud app and add that app to your smart phone, you can access the favorites on your smart phone that way from whatever your default phone browser is.

David

Steve Nutt

Yep that works. But I will say it’s even less effort to go to Favourites on your phone and know they are all synced up.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

If you save your favorites folder in Dropbox or some other cloud app and add that app to your smart phone, you can access the favorites on your smart phone that way from whatever your default phone browser is.

David

David Kingsbury

Steve and others,

It may be less effort if you only use one browser. But if you use multiple browsers, create favorites/bookmarks in more than one of them, and then have to deal with the whole mess of importing from one to another, dealing with their complicated subfolder structure, and so forth, that’s a real pain. If you use only one browser, it may be better to do it your way. People can have different approaches, but I find the way I discovered to be good for the considerable number of people (like Kimber who kicked off this message thread) who migrated from Internet Explorer to some other browser and abandoned the whole notion of using favorites/bookmarks because they found it too clunky to manage.

David