Topics

moderated How to correct dictionary entries for internet explorer?

David Ingram

Hi list members, i'd like to know how I can correct a jaws dictionary entry for internet explorer? Thank you.

Mike B

Hi David,

1. While in Inter net Explorer press, Insert + D, to open the IE Jaws dictionary file.

2. Tab to the, Tree View, which the German language is at the top, and navigate down this using 1st leter navigation until you have the word highlighted.

3. Tab to, Change... button, and press the spacebar to open.

4. Tab to, Actual word, if you want to keep this actual word leave this alone and tab 1 time to, Replacement word, and retype this replacement to the way you want Jaws to say it.  If you want to remove the word from the dictionary delete the, Actual word.

5. Tab to, Okay, and press the spacebar, press, Control + S, to save and Alt + F4 to close the dictionary.

Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2020 5:41 AM
Subject: How to correct dictionary entries for internet explorer?

Hi list members, i'd like to know how I can correct a jaws dictionary entry for internet explorer?  Thank you.

Mario

a minor note. when tabbing to the list of entries, instead of down arrowing thru a long list, first letter navigation can get you closer to the entry you need to correct. for example, the list starts with words that start with b, pressing t will get you to the first word that starts with t. in addition, typing to will not get you to words starting with to but will get you to words that start with o. so first letter navigation works in this list.

Hi list members, i'd like to know how I can correct a jaws dictionary
entry for internet explorer?  Thank you.

David Ingram

Hi, mike, how are you?  First, I speak English, next I think that there was just a .com at the end of something and I want to correct the replacement that I created.  how can I do that?  Thank you for all your help, and everyone else who has assisted in answering my many questions.

Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2020 5:41 AM

Hi list members, i'd like to know how I can correct a jaws dictionary entry for internet explorer?  Thank you.

Adrian Spratt

David,

Mike wasn’t suggesting you speak German. When you tab to the field he indicated, he was saying you’ll recognize it by the first spoken line. On his system, it’s German. On mine, it’s French. On your system, it’s likely to be one language or another.

You can arrow down this list or, as Mario noted, use first-letter navigation. After you get past the languages, you’ll arrive at your list of dictionary entries.

I just tried using a period as a first letter to find your term, but it seems I have nothing in my list that begins with that particular punctuation. So, you’ll need to arrow down until you find it. My guess is that it’s near the beginning of the list after you get past the languages, or else it’s near the end. You can go right to the end by pressing the end key.

Hi, mike, how are you?  First, I speak English, next I think that there was just a .com at the end of something and I want to correct the replacement that I created.  how can I do that?  Thank you for all your help, and everyone else who has assisted in answering my many questions.

Hi list members, i'd like to know how I can correct a jaws dictionary entry for internet explorer?  Thank you.

David Ingram

Just getting clarification.  That is all I was trying to do.  Thank you all.

[...]

If you tell me exactly what it is you want to change, original word, and how you would like for Jaws to say it I'll give you exact steps.

Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2020 11:14 AM

Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2020 5:41 AM

Hi list members, i'd like to know how I can correct a jaws dictionary entry for internet explorer?  Thank you.

Adrian Spratt

Good point. Assuming the word is in the dictionary, David will be asked to replace it after confirming the new replacement.