moderated how to change advanced power settings in windows

James English

Hello,
I know this is a general windows question but I'm getting close to
throwing my laptop through a wall here and I'm wondering if anyone can
help.
My network card in a new pc is afflicted with the popular bug in which
when the computer goes to sleep it turns off the card and it then has
an issue turning back on again. I know that this is a regular issue
and I knew how to fix it, however I've recently found out that windows
appears to have decided to get rid of the power management tab in
device manager.
I've tried creating the CSEnabled key in the registry as the internet
has suggested but still no luck.
Does anyone know of a way of stopping windows from turning off the
network card, or am I going to have to purchase a new network card?
Would appreciate any help people can give me.
- James

Chris

Try this

Hit the windows key

Then type connections

Then hit view network connections from the results

Then right click on your connection , like wifi for example

Select properties and hit enter

Then on the networking tab click on configure

Then  from the opened adapter properties dialog go to the power management tab

Then uncheck the box that allows windows to turn off this device

Then apply and ok out of the opened dialogs

And close the connections window

And you are done

I hope that helps

[...]

There is no power management tab unfortunately.

On 10/18/21, Chris via groups.io <chrismedley=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Hi James,
I kind of followed Chris's steps and found it on my Dell laptop. Well, I found my WiFi card as it is the only one that shows up.
Only, I typed the word "connection" singular, not plural.

I arrowed down on my WiFi network so Jaws would see it as selected.
I did the application key, and selected property.
I shift+tabbed once to the configure button and pressed spacebar.
I was on the General tab, as I right arrowed, I went through all the tabs, the last one being Power Management tab, the first item when I tabbed was a checkbox for allowing the computer to turn this device off to save power.

I hope that helps.

Richard
"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it." - Jane Wagner

[...]

Hi Richard,

For some reason when I follow these steps there is simply no power
management tab there. It appears not to exist.

- James

On 10/18/21, Richard Turner <richardturner42@outlook.com> wrote:
Hi James,
I kind of followed Chris's steps and found it on my Dell laptop. Well, I
found my WiFi card as it is the only one that shows up.
Only, I typed the word "connection" singular, not plural.

I arrowed down on my WiFi network so Jaws would see it as selected.
I did the application key, and selected property.
I shift+tabbed once to the configure button and pressed spacebar.
I was on the General tab, as I right arrowed, I went through all the tabs,
the last one being Power Management tab, the first item when I tabbed was a
checkbox for allowing the computer to turn this device off to save power.

I hope that helps.

Richard
- Jane Wagner

[...]

Mario

maybe you need to disable the driver in Device Manager, where upon restarting the computer will reenable the driver?

[...]

.

James English

I don't think this is specific to the network card. There's no power
management tab for any devices.

On 10/18/21, Mario <mrb620@hotmail.com> wrote:
[...]

I think it would be a good idea to call Microsoft Accessibility because there is something seriously out of whack going on.
I don't think I saw the brand of your laptop, but the other option is to call their tec support.

[...]

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.t
urner42.com%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7Cb5d4a5a5915d4015a3ae08d99249a8ec%
7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637701667333311854%7CUnkn
own%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwi
LCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=qRjI3xIWZGT9Vj5fXgPCBUTyTJxTQ9ejudNMp8
GzPF4%3D&amp;reserved=0

[...]

Microsoft accessibility also have no clue what's going on. I'm going
to contact hp support.

[...]

Try this way then.

Open settings (windows + I)

Go to network

Then on wi-fi tab to the change adapter settings button

Again a explorer window will open

Then right click on the WIFI or ethernet connection as required

Select properties

You should open in the properties general tab

Then shift tab to the configure button and hit enter

Again shift tab to the tabs and arrow to the last tab for power management

There the option to allow windows to turn off this device should be unchecked

Finally apply and ok out of the open dialogs and close the open window

I dont know if Thats a better explanation or not but I tried

Good luck!