Topics

moderated How To Access Bookmarks In Google Chrome

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

Since I’m having more problems with Firefox as my main internet browser, I’ve decided to give Google Chrome a try.

I believe I have now successfully imported my favorites from Internet Explorer into Google Chrome, but can’t figure out how to access my Google Chrome bookmark list to be sure.

Can someone tell me how that bookmark list is accessed?

Thanks!

Tom Behler

You can open the Bookmarks Manager with CTRL+SHIFT+O, or you can hit ALT+F,B,Enter to display the bookmarks list, which you can navigate down through, or you can display the Bookmarks Bar with CTRL+SHIFT+B (which would be the option that's likely least easy to deal with).

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Tom Behler

Brian:

For what it’s worth, alt plus F followed by B seems to be the easiest among the methods you suggest.

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 02:09 PM, Tom Behler wrote:
alt plus F followed by B seems to be the easiest among the methods you suggest.
This is definitely one of those, "whatever works best for you, do it!," situations.  Glad to have helped.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Patrick Murphy

It would be nice, if you could assign a shortcut key to it.

Internet explorer had its ctrl+a to get to the favourites menu.

Any of the chrome based browsers that I have tried, seem to use a number of key presses to get to their version of bookmarks.

I did a little research, and I couldn’t find an extension with a ctrl+a for example to let you right at it.

Perhaps someone will right one eventually.

I am sure other people would like a single key stroke as well, coming from ie.

Pat

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 02:09 PM, Tom Behler wrote:

alt plus F followed by B seems to be the easiest among the methods you suggest.

This is definitely one of those, "whatever works best for you, do it!," situations.  Glad to have helped.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Steve Nutt

Hi,

What you’ll also notice is that Chrome will create a folder called Imported From IE, or Imported From Firefox, or whatever browser.

So you’ll have to either open that folder before you see the bookmarks, or do as I did, and move all the bookmarks to the bookmarks bar.  Then you can easily see them on the bar, and navigate with first letter navigation.

All the best

Steve

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 02:09 PM, Tom Behler wrote:

alt plus F followed by B seems to be the easiest among the methods you suggest.

This is definitely one of those, "whatever works best for you, do it!," situations.  Glad to have helped.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Ann Byrne

Shift+ctrl+o should go directly to the bookmarks list.

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 02:09 PM, Tom Behler wrote:

alt plus F followed by B seems to be the easiest among the methods you suggest.

This is definitely one of those, "whatever works best for you, do it!," situations.  Glad to have helped.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Tom Behler

Ann:

It’s interesting, though.

Whenever I access the bookmarks list in Google Chrome via shift control plus O, I can’t do first-letter navigation to get to my imported bookmarks list from Internet Explorer.

To do this, I have to do alt F, then B for bookmarks, and then I can use first-letter navigation to my Inernet Explorer bookmarks list.

Not sure why the difference.

Tom Behler

Shift+ctrl+o should go directly to the bookmarks list.

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 02:09 PM, Tom Behler wrote:

alt plus F followed by B seems to be the easiest among the methods you suggest.

This is definitely one of those, "whatever works best for you, do it!," situations.  Glad to have helped.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Marie

That is because the ctrl shift O takes you to the bookmark manager and not to the bookmark list.

Shift+ctrl+o should go directly to the bookmarks list.

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 02:09 PM, Tom Behler wrote:

alt plus F followed by B seems to be the easiest among the methods you suggest.

This is definitely one of those, "whatever works best for you, do it!," situations.  Glad to have helped.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Gerald Levy

It's too bad there seems to be no easy way to merge the list of favorites imported from IE with the list of bookmarks created in Chrome itself to create a single list that could be navigated by first letter navigation.

Gerald

That is because the ctrl shift O takes you to the bookmark manager and not to the bookmark list.

Shift+ctrl+o should go directly to the bookmarks list.

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 02:09 PM, Tom Behler wrote:

alt plus F followed by B seems to be the easiest among the methods you suggest.

This is definitely one of those, "whatever works best for you, do it!," situations.  Glad to have helped.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Orlando Enrique Fiol

At 10:46 AM 5/26/2020, Marie wrote:
That is because the ctrl shift O takes you to the bookmark manager and
not to the bookmark list.
The bookmark list is right in the bookmark manager. But when you're in the list by itself, you can't move or delete bookmarks. Consider the list as a read-only version of your bookmarks, while the bookmark manager gives you complete control.

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Tom Behler

Ok, I get it now. … Makes sense.

Thanks!

Tom Behler

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 10:50 AM, Gerald Levy wrote:
It's too bad there seems to be no easy way to merge the list of favorites imported from IE with the list of bookmarks created in Chrome itself to create a single list that could be navigated by first letter navigation.
If you are able to copy and paste in Windows Explorer, then you already know the basic process that is used in Bookmarks Manager to do exactly what you're seeking.

The one really weird thing I've found is that you cannot Paste into a folder when you have focus on it, nor can you paste in to an empty folder.  You must have focus on an existing bookmark in order for paste to show up after a cut or copy.  So, if you do want to move things into folders via cut/copy, and paste, you not only have to create the folder, but then create a single "junk bookmark" you can gain focus on before trying to paste, then deleting it afterward.  This seems to be the case in all Chromium-based web browsers (though I didn't try new Edge - and since MS has kept the Favorites idiom they may also have slightly different behavior - I don't know).

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Marie

You can use copy and paste in the new Edge, because I do it all the time. However, I have only been able to do one at a time. Is there a way to copy and paste more than one?
Marie

At 03:22 PM 5/26/2020, Marie wrote:
You can use copy and paste in the new Edge, because I do it all the
time. However, I have only been able to do one at a time. Is there a
way to copy and paste more than one?
Yes. Hold down the shift key and arrow up and down through the items you want to select, if they're contiguous. If you want to select noncontiguous items, hold down the control key, arrow up and down through the list of items and press space to select the ones you want.

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Marty Hutchings

I really miss the Favorites folder that was associated with IE.  I would love to be able to save bookmarks from Firefox and Google to the Favorites folder and search by first letter and have them open up in whatever our default browser is instead of each browser having it’s own list of bookmarks.  I have saved bookmarks in Firefox and in Chrome, but I then forget which one and can’t find them again when I want them.

Love in Christ
Marty
Ephesians 6:12, 13

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 03:50 PM, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
Hold down the shift key and arrow up and down through the items you want to select, if they're contiguous. If you want to select noncontiguous items, hold down the control key, arrow up and down through the list of items and press space to select the ones you want.
Just the additional note that selection tends to work like this under Windows no matter what program you need to do it in.  It works this way in File Explorer, Open dialogs where you can select more than one thing such as multiple documents to attach, and the list goes on and on.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Marie

I could not get this to work as I had expected it to do. So I will give it another try as I must have been doing something wrong.
Marie

You can use copy and paste in the new Edge, because I do it all the
time. However, I have only been able to do one at a time. Is there a
way to copy and paste more than one?
Yes. Hold down the shift key and arrow up and down through the items
you want to select, if they're contiguous. If you want to select
noncontiguous items, hold down the control key, arrow up and down
through the list of items and press space to select the ones you want.

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Marie

Yes, I use it all the time but it was not working for me in the bookmarks, so will try it again.

At 04:23 PM 5/26/2020, Marty Hutchings wrote:
I really miss the Favorites folder that was associated with IE. I
would love to be able to save bookmarks from Firefox and Google to the
Favorites folder and search by first letter and have them open up in
whatever our default browser is instead of each browser having its
own list of bookmarks. I have saved bookmarks in Firefox and in
Chrome, but I then forget which one and can't find them again when I
want them.
You can still do this. There is still a Favorites folder in your user profile that you can navigate by first-letter and have any item opened by your default browser. You could make a shortcut to this folder for convenience. But with Chrome and Chromium Edge, you can just press control+L and begin typing the first few letters of the bookmark you want. If it's there, your search will return results right from your bookmarks and history. With Chromium browsers, you can also synch all your bookmarks, history, extensions, passwords, etc., on all your devices. When I add a bookmark to Chrome on my desktop, it appears on my laptop and Android phone.

Orlando