Topics

moderated How Many of you out there have used Google Calendar?

Rick Miller

Dear Listers:

I am learning how to use Google Calendar.  I have learned how to create an event, but am trying to set notifications.  I have read that there are three ways to receive notifications—either by e-mail, desktop or alert.  Notifications are not working.  When I create events for myself, usually, I don’t want to invite any guests.  The events I create are primarily Zoom meetings or classes at the church I belong to.  When I have tried to set notifications I have gone into the General settings of Google Calendar.  When it comes to notifications it shows that there are three kinds of notification settings—off, Desktop or alert.  When I create events for which I have described—for meetings at church or Bible study meetings in which I do not want to invite any guests, how can I go about getting notifications to work?  Is there anybody out there totally blind who has used Google calendar?  If so, is there any way in the world you can help me or give me the advice I need?

Rick Miller

Rick,

            I have several questions before I try to offer any guidance:

1.  Are you already familiar and comfortable with Outlook calendar?

2.  Is the Google Calendar you're trying to manage your own, or does it belong to someone else or another entity and you've been granted modification permissions?

3.  Am I safe in presuming, at least at the moment, that you are trying to use the Google Calendar web interface to create/edit events/appointments?

Google Calendar's own web interface has changed, not like last week recently, but within the last year, so that a minimal set of features for an event, not including notifications, is shown by default.  You must activate the More Options control in order to have the full complement of event options, including the Notifications controls, become visible.  There are only two Notification methods, email and notification.  Email is exactly what you'd think, an e-mail is sent to you to remind you at whatever interval prior to the event you set.  Notification will cause a pop-up on a desktop computer or a notification message on a smartphone that's much like a text, but generated by Google Calendar.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Rick Miller

Dear Brian:

I am very comfortable with Outlook calendar—in fact, much more so than with Google Calendar.  The Google calendar I am using is my own, and I am trying to use it from the web.  Every time I open up my browser, which is Chrome, I hit Alt+L, and when the addressbar pops up I enter calendar.google.com and hit the Enter key, and the calendar comes up with no trouble.  I have learned how to create an event, but it is just the notifications I am concerned about.  When I get into the Settings menu and go down to where the notification settings are I hit the Enter key, and when the combo box comes up I see there are alert notifications and desktop notifications, but when I up-arrow from where it indicates there are desktop notifications instead of hearing the word “E-mail,” I hear the word “off.”  I don’t know why this is so, and when I try to turn notifications on nothing seems to be working, so I have for the moment just gone back to using Outlook calendar which I am more comfortable and familiar with.  If you can receive e-mail Google calendar notifications I do not know how to access them.  But in answer to your questions, I am very familiar with Outlook calendar and I am trying to use Google calendar from the web.  I am using the latest JAWS beta version and Windows 10.

Rick Miller

[...]

             One quick request for clarification.  I am not certain whether you're having trouble with the settings related to Notifications from Google Calendar, setting up notifications in a Google Calendar Event, or both.  Would you please let me know whether you need assistance with one, the other, or both of these things.

              I am also presuming that you wish to use Google Calendar via its own web interface, rather than using a Sync Client to sync your Google Calendar to your Outlook Calendar.  If that's not true, please let me know your preference.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Rick Miller

Brian:

It is the Settings for notifications with Google calendar I am having trouble with.  I did not know there are settings for just a single event.  The problem I am having is this.  When I get into the Settings menu for Google Calendar I arrow down to where there are notifications.  I have heard that there are three ways you can get notifications—e-mail, Desktop and Alert.  When I get to where the notification settings are I hit the Enter key.  The option for Desktop notifications is there and the Option for Alerts is there, but when I arrow up above Desktop I have found that instead of giving an e-mail notification, JAWS is just saying the word “off.”  That puzzles me, and that is what I have been inquiring about.

Rick Miller

             One quick request for clarification.  I am not certain whether you're having trouble with the settings related to Notifications from Google Calendar, setting up notifications in a Google Calendar Event, or both.  Would you please let me know whether you need assistance with one, the other, or both of these things.

              I am also presuming that you wish to use Google Calendar via its own web interface, rather than using a Sync Client to sync your Google Calendar to your Outlook Calendar.  If that's not true, please let me know your preference.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Rick Miller

Yes, Brian, I am wanting to use Google Calendar via its web interface.

Rick Miller

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 06:05 PM, Rick Miller wrote:
I have heard that there are three ways you can get notifications—e-mail, Desktop and Alert.
-
Rick,

            This is true, but Desktop Notification is one thing, and Alert, in practice, is set on the event itself and can be done via e-mail, or pop-up notification which is presented in the manner appropriate to the device on which it's being done.

            What you are encountering in the main Calendar settings is correct.  You choose one of three things:  Off, Desktop, or Alerts (and I'm not trying to split hairs here, but the choice for Alerts is plural).  My own Google Calendar main setting for notification is Alerts.

             The specific Alert or Alerts you actually get are not done at the Calendar level, but as part of creating or editing an Event.  When you create a New Event, only a few of the many fields/options are shown initially for both ease and speed, and these are:  Title, Date & Time, Add Guests, Add Google Meet Video Conferencing, Add Location, Add Description and attachments, and the actual calendar the event will be created in.  The last is only really relevant if you have access to more than one calendar, which I do, so I am not positive whether it will show to anyone who is using a single calendar.   After those things, at the end of the pop-up dialog for the Event, are two controls:  More Options and Save.   If you wish to add any one of the other possible features to an event, and this would include the sorts of notifications you want, you must activate More Options before these features become visible.

              Now, I will presume you have activated More Options on the Event.  If you set a default notification in Calendar Settings (and we can come back to that later if needed) you will see one notification already present with whatever you set up.  In my case the default notification is "Notification" (which is the pop-up I mentioned earlier) and 30 minutes ahead of the event, followed by an option to delete it.  Immediately following that, is the Add Notification, control, which allows you to add as many additional notifications, whether by Notification or Email, that you want.

               I'll now presume you've activated the Add Notification Control for the event. By the way, all of what follows is also part of that default notification I mentioned, as you can tweak your chosen default if you want or need to.  You are presented with three components:
1. A dropdown that lets you pick Notification or Email.
2. A combo box for a number of units before the event.  You can either type in the number or use the up/down arrows that are part of that control.
3. The "units" dropdown, where you pick minutes, hours, days, or weeks.

So if you want e-mail notifications, you do have to set them up in the event, not at the calendar level.  And since I've never used the Desktop option at the calendar level, I can't describe what happens if it's on.  I have always used Alerts and set up the alerts I need on a given event when I create it.

At one time the event-level notifications settings appeared without the use of the previously mentioned More Options control.  But that changed at least a year and a half to two years back, I can't remember exactly when.  And I still find that change mightily annoying.  I virtually never have need to deal with anything other than the event title, date & time, and calendar selection that's shown on the initial pop-up dialog.  I'd far rather have both the event-level notifications options and repeat options shown on the initial pop-up dialog, and would gladly ditch a couple of the other things like location, attachments/description, guests, and video conferencing options that currently do appear.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss