moderated how do you underline a word?

Jim Rawls

Hi all, I have forgotten how to do it. I am using jaws 2021 and windows ten. Jim

crayton Benner

It should be control U. 

On Oct 9, 2021, at 15:13, Jim Rawls <jazzpiano@...> wrote:

Hi all, I have forgotten how to do it. I am using jaws 2021 and windows ten. Jim

Adrian Spratt

And you’re also using some version of MS Word? In that case, highlight the word or passage you wish to underline, then press control-u. JAWS will announce something like, “Underline.”

One caveat that will be obvious to people with sight but not those without: if you underline, italicize or bold something and then continue typing right away, the newly typed text will also be underlined, etc. What I do to prevent this from happening is to add a comma after the text I’m about to underline. When I’ve completed the underlining, I add a space after the comma, then delete the comma, which won’t have been underlined. Of course, if you want a comma there anyway, all the better.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Rawls
Sent: Saturday, October 9, 2021 3:14 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: how do you underline a word?

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 04:46 PM, Adrian Spratt wrote:
One caveat that will be obvious to people with sight but not those without: if you underline, italicize or bold something and then continue typing right away, the newly typed text will also be underlined, etc. What I do to prevent this from happening is to add a comma after the text I’m about to underline. When I’ve completed the underlining, I add a space after the comma, then delete the comma, which won’t have been underlined. Of course, if you want a comma there anyway, all the better.
-
Just to add to this concept, anything after the text you intend to highlight will do.  I'll often type the next word, or even complete the sentence, then go back to the first word I want to have formatting applied to, complete my selection, and hit the key or keys to get the formatting I want.

CTRL + B    Bold
CTRL + I    Italic
CTRL + U   Underline

And a couple of less frequently used ones:

CTRL + =  Subscript drop
CTRL + Shift + Plus Sign  Superscript lift

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

Panagiotis Antonopoulos

Hi Jim/all,

Just highlight the word with control-right arrow and press control-u. This should do the trick.

Hope it helps,

Takis

Sent: Saturday, October 9, 2021 10:14 PM

Panagiotis Antonopoulos

Hi Adrian,

The way I do it is, after finishing with the underlined or bolded text, I hit control-u once again. Jaws should say “underline off”.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Saturday, October 9, 2021 11:46 PM
Subject: Re: how do you underline a word?

And you’re also using some version of MS Word? In that case, highlight the word or passage you wish to underline, then press control-u. JAWS will announce something like, “Underline.”

Adrian Spratt

Agreed, Takis. Your method works if you know ahead of time that you intend to underline certain text, and I’m glad you brought it up. I typically make such decisions after the fact, which is why I’m more focused on making sure the underling, bolding, etc. doesn’t extend too far.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Panagiotis Antonopoulos
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2021 4:41 AM

Hi Adrian,

The way I do it is, after finishing with the underlined or bolded text, I hit control-u once again. Jaws should say “underline off”.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Saturday, October 9, 2021 11:46 PM

On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 04:40 AM, Panagiotis Antonopoulos wrote:
-
That works if you hit CTRL + U, type the text you want underlined then hit CTRL + U again when you reach the end of that text.

But a lot of people (including me), for whatever reason, don't do our formatting "in real time," which is what you are doing when you use that technique.  With sighted people such as myself I think much of that comes from the fact that very few know most of the keyboard shortcuts to do anything and having to take your hands away from the keyboard, mid-sentence and mid-thought, to tweak the formatting often breaks your train of thought.  It's a very quick thing to toggle via keyboard command while typing if you know how to do that.

I say this because I have seen people select a word or chunk of text, hit CTRL + U to underline it, but then forget to either deselect it or throw focus elsewhere before hitting CTRL + U again.  So long as a given chunk of text remains selected, any of the formatting commands will act as a toggle, so if you're not careful you could undo the formatting you just did.

--

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

Panagiotis Antonopoulos

Hi Brian/all,

I have often found that when I block a chunk of text and hit say control-u, that is underlined, while continuing to type means it is no longer underlined. However, I use the highlighting option in jaws to verify, as much as I can, the situation. If I am not satisfied, I check the attributes.

Hope this helps,

Takis

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2021 6:58 PM

On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 04:40 AM, Panagiotis Antonopoulos wrote:

-
That works if you hit CTRL + U, type the text you want underlined then hit CTRL + U again when you reach the end of that text.

But a lot of people (including me), for whatever reason, don't do our formatting "in real time," which is what you are doing when you use that technique.  With sighted people such as myself I think much of that comes from the fact that very few know most of the keyboard shortcuts to do anything and having to take your hands away from the keyboard, mid-sentence and mid-thought, to tweak the formatting often breaks your train of thought.  It's a very quick thing to toggle via keyboard command while typing if you know how to do that.

I say this because I have seen people select a word or chunk of text, hit CTRL + U to underline it, but then forget to either deselect it or throw focus elsewhere before hitting CTRL + U again.  So long as a given chunk of text remains selected, any of the formatting commands will act as a toggle, so if you're not careful you could undo the formatting you just did.

--

~ William Plomer