Hi all, I have forgotten how to do it. I am using jaws 2021 and windows ten. Jim

crayton Benner

It should be control U.

On Oct 9, 2021, at 15:13, Jim Rawls <jazzpiano@...> wrote:

Hi all, I have forgotten how to do it. I am using jaws 2021 and windows ten. Jim

Adrian Spratt

And you’re also using some version of MS Word? In that case, highlight the word or passage you wish to underline, then press control-u. JAWS will announce something like, “Underline.”

One caveat that will be obvious to people with sight but not those without: if you underline, italicize or bold something and then continue typing right away, the newly typed text will also be underlined, etc. What I do to prevent this from happening is to add a comma after the text I’m about to underline. When I’ve completed the underlining, I add a space after the comma, then delete the comma, which won’t have been underlined. Of course, if you want a comma there anyway, all the better.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Rawls
Sent: Saturday, October 9, 2021 3:14 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: how do you underline a word?

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 04:46 PM, Adrian Spratt wrote:
One caveat that will be obvious to people with sight but not those without: if you underline, italicize or bold something and then continue typing right away, the newly typed text will also be underlined, etc. What I do to prevent this from happening is to add a comma after the text I’m about to underline. When I’ve completed the underlining, I add a space after the comma, then delete the comma, which won’t have been underlined. Of course, if you want a comma there anyway, all the better.
-
Just to add to this concept, anything after the text you intend to highlight will do.  I'll often type the next word, or even complete the sentence, then go back to the first word I want to have formatting applied to, complete my selection, and hit the key or keys to get the formatting I want.

CTRL + B    Bold
CTRL + I    Italic
CTRL + U   Underline

And a couple of less frequently used ones:

CTRL + =  Subscript drop
CTRL + Shift + Plus Sign  Superscript lift

    ~ William Plomer

Panagiotis Antonopoulos

Hi Jim/all,

Just highlight the word with control-right arrow and press control-u. This should do the trick.

                                                            Hope it helps,

                                                            Takis

Hi all, I have forgotten how to do it. I am using jaws 2021 and windows ten. Jim

Panagiotis Antonopoulos

Hi Adrian,

The way I do it is, after finishing with the underlined or bolded text, I hit control-u once again. Jaws should say “underline off”.

And you’re also using some version of MS Word? In that case, highlight the word or passage you wish to underline, then press control-u. JAWS will announce something like, “Underline.”

One caveat that will be obvious to people with sight but not those without: if you underline, italicize or bold something and then continue typing right away, the newly typed text will also be underlined, etc. What I do to prevent this from happening is to add a comma after the text I’m about to underline. When I’ve completed the underlining, I add a space after the comma, then delete the comma, which won’t have been underlined. Of course, if you want a comma there anyway, all the better.

Hi all, I have forgotten how to do it. I am using jaws 2021 and windows ten. Jim

Adrian Spratt

Agreed, Takis. Your method works if you know ahead of time that you intend to underline certain text, and I’m glad you brought it up. I typically make such decisions after the fact, which is why I’m more focused on making sure the underling, bolding, etc. doesn’t extend too far.