moderated How do I make Adobe Acrobat stop automatically preparing a document for reading?

Richard B. McDonald

Hi!

I am using Windows 10 and JAWS 2020.  Whenever I open a PDF, Adobe automatically goes into a mode where it “prepares the document for reading.”  How do I stop this automatic action?  Below is a bit more important information about this?

Basically, I want to know if this is a user specific setting.  My PC has three user accounts.  While I *do* want this automatic action for my account since I am blind, I *do not* want it to automatically do this for the other two user accounts since those users are not blind.

Thanks,

Richard

Adobe only does this if Jaws is running so the simple answer would be to set up Jaws to load at the logon screen since I assume you would need to have it in order to log into your account, but then set it up so Jaws only loads for you when the desktop comes up and not for the other 2 users, problem solved.

Of course if Jaws does load for them and they unload it that will do the same thing. All my employees are sighted and of course don’t want Jaws running when they use any of the computers at the front counter and we get tons of PDF’s both accessible and image based with price lists, order forms, spec sheets for products, large product catalogues with a hundred or more pages and as long as Jaws is not running these PDF’s always open normally for my sighted staff.

I am using Windows 10 and JAWS 2020.  Whenever I open a PDF, Adobe automatically goes into a mode where it “prepares the document for reading.”  How do I stop this automatic action?  Below is a bit more important information about this?

Basically, I want to know if this is a user specific setting.  My PC has three user accounts.  While I *do* want this automatic action for my account since I am blind, I *do not* want it to automatically do this for the other two user accounts since those users are not blind.

Thanks,

Richard

Unless you've explicitly chosen (and I don't even know if you can, when it comes to Adobe Reader's accessibility options) for the choices you've made at setup to apply to all users, they generally don't.

Almost any program that has options that can either apply just to an individual user, or to all users, will explicitly ask you which you wish to exercise when the install is occurring.

I would certainly believe that all the accessibility related settings of Adobe Reader are stored at the "per user" level.

    ~ William Plomer