moderated How can I batch save emails for archiving?

Marty Hutchings

I am using Windows Live Mail on a Windows 7 computer running JAWS 2021.  I will be switching everything to a new computer and want to move the emails from this computer to the new machine.  Is there a way to do that?

How are you accessing them?  Look in your account settings in your current email client and the name of the incoming mail server will typically have IMAP in its name if you're using IMAP and POP if you're using POP.

If you're using IMAP, then you don't have to do anything other than to set up your account on your new machine in the email client of your choosing.  All of your mail is kept on the IMAP server and it's fetched when you open a message to read it.

If you're using POP, then a bit more detail would be needed about how your account is currently set up under WLM for POP access.  Things become more complicated because of how POP works and whether you've changed any defaults with regard to how quickly (or slowly) you're purging messages from the server.

            ~Brian Vogel

Marty Hutchings

I have an email address with one of each POP and IMAP.  I thought that emails in IMAP were only kept on the server for 60 days.  I have emails in my in box from 2015 that I want to keep.  Why can’t I just copy them from their folder on my computer to an external drive?

Love in Christ
Marty
The Gospel is fully accessible to all.

Sent: Friday, April 02, 2021 10:22 PM
Subject: Re: How can I batch save emails for archiving?

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

            ~Brian Vogel

Unless you've done something unusual with the IMAP account, any email message you have, no matter how old, remains resident on the server until and unless you delete it.

Email is not like files and folders, it's not a simple copy and paste.

What are the settings (and you can anonymize your address & password, it's the server settings, including checkboxes that are key, and really only for incoming messages) for the POP account?

            ~Brian Vogel

Richard Turner

Marty,
Are both addresses with gmail?
Checking your gmail settings on the web could help quite a bit as Brian has said.

Richard

www.turner42.com