Topics

moderated Hourly rate for JAWS scripting

goodwitch <glsims99@...>

I want to know what people usually charge per hour to write JAWS scripts.  I know what the big a11y firms charge (tends to be over $150 per hour).  I'm also seeing $150 an hour listed as the rate for the California Governments Department of Rehabilitation https://www.dor.ca.gov/Cal-atsd/Service/Details?id=206

What do y'all think the hourly rate for JAWS scripting is?

Thanks so much,
Glenda the Goodwitch

You would have to ask different scripters as to what they charge.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of goodwitch
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 7:19 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Hourly rate for JAWS scripting

I want to know what people usually charge per hour to write JAWS scripts.  I know what the big a11y firms charge (tends to be over $150 per hour).  I'm also seeing $150 an hour listed as the rate for the California Governments Department of Rehabilitation https://www.dor.ca.gov/Cal-atsd/Service/Details?id=206

Thanks so much,
Glenda the Goodwitch

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Glenda & List:

If you are scripting for the California Dept. of Rehabilitation, I guess you charge $150/Hour for scripting, if working for a client with a big firm, whatever they will pay.

Why should you work for less than the maximum they will pay?

JAWS scripting seems to pay well. Cash in!

Brian K. Lingard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 11:55 PM
Subject: Re: Hourly rate for JAWS scripting

Thanks so much,
Glenda the Goodwitch

Richard Turner

If you were Elfaba, you might charge more than $150, but since you are Glenda, it depends on what State you are scripting in.

Not all States pay as much as California.

But, if in California, do as Californians do.

Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian K. Lingard
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 12:24 AM

Dear Glenda & List:

If you are scripting for the California Dept. of Rehabilitation, I guess you charge $150/Hour for scripting, if working for a client with a big firm, whatever they will pay.

Why should you work for less than the maximum they will pay?

JAWS scripting seems to pay well. Cash in!

Brian K. Lingard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 11:55 PM

Thanks so much,
Glenda the Goodwitch

goodwitch <glsims99@...>

So, I'm actually not a JAWS script developer (at least not yet).  But I wanted to get a feel for the rates.  And I didn't want to assume that $150 was the only rate.

Interestingly enough, I found a firm in the UK that does a lot of JAWS scripting work, and they charge $60 and hour.  They also have a big backlog of work.  They said, they couldn't even start on a JAWS scripting job until April. The firm is Hartgen Consultancy http://www.hartgen.org/accessible  

Thank y'all for your responses.  In my mind..I'm now thinking that the hourly rate for JAWS scripting is likely between $60 and $150, depending on where in the world you are.  I also realize that the rate could be higher or lower than that...I was just looking for a ballpark number (and I am in the United States).

Peace out,
G

And it will of course depend somewhat on your skill, there are OK scripters and good scripters and then there are the few outstanding ones like Brian Hartgen.

I had somebody write some script for me once (I am not going to mention a name) and I ended up paying him $500 for a rather small script to do one thing in one of my point of sale applications and it only ever worked so-so.

He worked on it for a few hours via Jaws Tandem, can’t remember the exact time, but I certainly did not feel like I got a very good deal. I think if you are starting out you may not be able to charge top Dollar until you made a name for yourself.

Regards,

Sieghard

Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 7:19 AM

So, I'm actually not a JAWS script developer (at least not yet).  But I wanted to get a feel for the rates.  And I didn't want to assume that $150 was the only rate.

Interestingly enough, I found a firm in the UK that does a lot of JAWS scripting work, and they charge $60 and hour.  They also have a big backlog of work.  They said, they couldn't even start on a JAWS scripting job until April. The firm is Hartgen Consultancy http://www.hartgen.org/accessible  

Thank y'all for your responses.  In my mind..I'm now thinking that the hourly rate for JAWS scripting is likely between $60 and $150, depending on where in the world you are.  I also realize that the rate could be higher or lower than that...I was just looking for a ballpark number (and I am in the United States).

Peace out,
G

Rayn Darren

I actually missed the OP of this topic, I think, so sorry for responding out of order.

Ms Goodwitch, lovely name btw, would you mind contacting me offlist, I have an idea for you. :)

rayndarren@...

Thanks,

Sarah

On 2/12/2020 1:40 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
And it will of course depend somewhat on your skill, there are OK scripters and good scripters and then there are the few outstanding ones like Brian Hartgen.
I had somebody write some script for me once (I am not going to mention a name) and I ended up paying him $500 for a rather small script to do one thing in one of my point of sale applications and it only ever worked so-so.
He worked on it for a few hours via Jaws Tandem, can’t remember the exact time, but I certainly did not feel like I got a very good deal. I think if you are starting out you may not be able to charge top Dollar until you made a name for yourself.

Regards,
Sieghard

Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 7:19 AM

So, I'm actually not a JAWS script developer (at least not yet). But I wanted to get a feel for the rates. And I didn't want to assume that $150 was the only rate.

Interestingly enough, I found a firm in the UK that does a lot of JAWS scripting work, and they charge $60 and hour. They also have a big backlog of work. They said, they couldn't even start on a JAWS scripting job until April. The firm is Hartgen Consultancy http://www.hartgen.org/accessible

Thank y'all for your responses. In my mind..I'm now thinking that the hourly rate for JAWS scripting is likely between $60 and $150, depending on where in the world you are. I also realize that the rate could be higher or lower than that...I was just looking for a ballpark number (and I am in the United States).

Peace out,
G