moderated HjPad and save

leonard morris

I want .txt not .rtf as the default format when saving a document in HjPad. I don't find how to do this in any of the help topics.

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

When I started a new file with control+n I have the option of Word, RTf, Text, which is alt+t
When I hit control+s to save, I had the same three options, hitting Alt+t set it to plain text.
There is no default format that I find.
Again, I'm running Jaws 2021.

Richard
"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."
- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Web site: www.turner42.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of leonard morris
Sent: Monday, May 3, 2021 9:19 PM
To: jaws <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: HjPad and save

I want .txt not .rtf as the default format when saving a document in HjPad. I don't find how to do this in any of the help topics.

Or I suspect if Leonard adds a period followed by txt when naming the saved file, he'll get a plain text file.

Alan Lemly 

with Outlook for iOS

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>
Sent: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 8:10:14 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: Re: HjPad and save

When I started a new file with control+n I have the option of Word, RTf, Text, which is alt+t
When I hit control+s to save, I had the same three options, hitting Alt+t set it to plain text.

Richard
"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."
- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Actually, it doesn’t give you a chance to name it first, and it defaults to RTF.

I never saved as RTF, but the first time I loaded the program in a long time was yesterday and it just popped up the dialog to choose Word 6.0, RTf, or TXT when I hit control+n to create a new document.

Even picking txt, which I did, when you go to save it, you get a warning that you will lose all formatting if you save in text format, so you have to pick text from that list.

Now, no matter if I do a save as or a straight save, it defaults to rtf.  You have to pick text format.

But, to me that is a small price to pay for a non-bloated text editor with the standard spell check feature.

Richard

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Lemly
Sent: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 6:23 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Or I suspect if Leonard adds a period followed by txt when naming the saved file, he'll get a plain text file.

Alan Lemly 

with Outlook for iOS

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Richard
- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

I think I’ll stick with Windows Notepad for basic plain text editing. I think HjPad’s attempts to force rich text formatting is odd but perhaps it considers itself to be a WordPad as opposed to a Notepad substitute.

Alan Lemly

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 8:36 AM

Actually, it doesn’t give you a chance to name it first, and it defaults to RTF.

I never saved as RTF, but the first time I loaded the program in a long time was yesterday and it just popped up the dialog to choose Word 6.0, RTf, or TXT when I hit control+n to create a new document.

Even picking txt, which I did, when you go to save it, you get a warning that you will lose all formatting if you save in text format, so you have to pick text from that list.

Now, no matter if I do a save as or a straight save, it defaults to rtf.  You have to pick text format.

But, to me that is a small price to pay for a non-bloated text editor with the standard spell check feature.

Richard

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Lemly
Sent: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 6:23 AM

Alan Lemly 

with Outlook for iOS

Richard
- John Ruskin, 1819-1900