moderated Hearing the word suggestions as I type e-mails

Michael Massey

Hi.  I am using office 365 and use Outlook 365 as my e-mail client.  I am running the latest version of Jaws under the latest version of Windows 10 pro edition.  While I am typing this e-mail, the word suggestion keeps coming up which is distracting and annoying.  How do I turn this feature off?  Thanks. 

Curtis Chong

Hello Michael:

Where, in Outlook, are you being bugged by the suggestions? When writing in the body of the email or in one of the to or copy fields?

With best regards,

Curtis Chong

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Massey
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 11:02 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Hearing the word suggestions as I type e-mails

Hi.  I am using office 365 and use Outlook 365 as my e-mail client.  I am running the latest version of Jaws under the latest version of Windows 10 pro edition.  While I am typing this e-mail, the word suggestion keeps coming up which is distracting and annoying.  How do I turn this feature off?  Thanks. 

Michael Massey

I am hearing the word suggestion while in the body of the e-mail. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Curtis Chong
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 11:15 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io; jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Hearing the word suggestions as I type e-mails

Hello Michael:

Where, in Outlook, are you being bugged by the suggestions? When writing in the body of the email or in one of the to or copy fields?

With best regards,

Curtis Chong

Kevin Minor

Hi Curtis.

I think I’m running into the same problem. For me, it’s in the message body. If I’m not typing as fast as I can, I hear the suggestion, and hit TAB to accept it if it’s what I want. Most of the time, I’ve already started typing, and I miss the suggestion, so I’d also like it gone as well.

Kevin, Valerie and Jilly

Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 1:15 PM

Hello Michael:

With best regards,

Curtis Chong

Hi,

Although I don’t have specific solutions, I know exactly what’s up – see the next post for details.

Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 10:16 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Hello Michael:

With best regards,

Curtis Chong

Hi,

This is caused by Outlook’s attempt to guess what you are about to type. The text is part of a UIA notification event. Although I don’t have specific solutions for Outlook, but at least from JAWS side, try turning off “accessible event notification” (found in settings Center).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kevin Minor
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 10:19 AM

Hi Curtis.

I think I’m running into the same problem. For me, it’s in the message body. If I’m not typing as fast as I can, I hear the suggestion, and hit TAB to accept it if it’s what I want. Most of the time, I’ve already started typing, and I miss the suggestion, so I’d also like it gone as well.

Kevin, Valerie and Jilly

Hello Michael:

With best regards,

Curtis Chong

Michael Massey

Hi.  I am trying to get to the settings center in Jaws, but I am pressing the incorrect keystroke.  I was sure I remembered the keystroke, but I guess I have forgotten it.  Thanks. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 11:21 AM

Hi,

This is caused by Outlook’s attempt to guess what you are about to type. The text is part of a UIA notification event. Although I don’t have specific solutions for Outlook, but at least from JAWS side, try turning off “accessible event notification” (found in settings Center).

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Curtis.

Kevin, Valerie and Jilly

Hello Michael:

With best regards,

Curtis Chong

Hi,

That will be JAWS Key+number row 6.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 10:29 AM

Hi.  I am trying to get to the settings center in Jaws, but I am pressing the incorrect keystroke.  I was sure I remembered the keystroke, but I guess I have forgotten it.  Thanks. 

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Curtis.

Kevin, Valerie and Jilly

Hello Michael:

With best regards,

Curtis Chong

Curtis Chong

Michael:

Go into JAWS Settings Center by pressing Insert with 6 on the number row. Press Control Shift d to go into default settings. Now type “accessible event” without the quotes. Arrow down until you hear enable accesible event notifications. Press space to uncheck this. Shift tab to and press OK.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 11:16 AM

Hello Michael:

With best regards,

Curtis Chong

Curtis Chong

It is insert with 6 on the number row.

Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 11:29 AM

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Curtis.

Kevin, Valerie and Jilly

Hello Michael:

With best regards,

Curtis Chong

Mike B.

Hola Michael,

The most common keystroke to access the Settings Center is, Insert + 6, on the number row, but another way to get to the Settings Center is by pressing, Insert + F2, to open the Jaws Manager, and navigate to Settings Center and press enter.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 10:28 AM

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Curtis.

Kevin, Valerie and Jilly

Hello Michael:

With best regards,

Curtis Chong

Kevin Minor

Hi.

INSERT may not work on a laptop. In that case, try CAPS LOCK instead.

Kevin, Valerie and Jilly

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 1:54 PM

Hola Michael,

The most common keystroke to access the Settings Center is, Insert + 6, on the number row, but another way to get to the Settings Center is by pressing, Insert + F2, to open the Jaws Manager, and navigate to Settings Center and press enter.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 10:28 AM

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Curtis.

Kevin, Valerie and Jilly

Hello Michael:

With best regards,

Curtis Chong

Tom Behler

I have this same issue in both Outlook and word.

Am also using Office 365.

I too find this very distracting and anoying, and would like to know how to disable these word suggestions.

Tom Behler

Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 1:02 PM

Tom Behler

Joseph:

Thanks very much for this work-around.

I no longer get word suggestions as I type.

What a relief!

Tom Behler

Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 1:21 PM

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Curtis.

Kevin, Valerie and Jilly

Hello Michael:

With best regards,

Curtis Chong

Curtis Chong

And now you know how if you’ve been reading previous emails on this.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 4:37 PM

I too find this very distracting and anoying, and would like to know how to disable these word suggestions.

Tom Behler

Tom Behler

Yes, and I have both carried out and saved the instructions.

So, again, all is well now.

Tom Behler

Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 6:56 PM

And now you know how if you’ve been reading previous emails on this.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 4:37 PM

Tom Behler

Steve Nutt

I actually like them, because if you hear a suggestion which is correct, you can just press enter, and it is pre-filled in.

For example, if I type S then T and hear steve@... , I can just press enter to fill it in. Saves a lot of keystrokes over time.

If there are more than one ST, you can down arrow to the one you want and press enter.

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

Sent: 22 August 2021 23:44

Joseph:

Thanks very much for this work-around.

I no longer get word suggestions as I type.

What a relief!

Tom Behler

Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 1:21 PM

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Curtis.

Kevin, Valerie and Jilly

Hello Michael:

With best regards,

Curtis Chong