Topics

moderated Having two accounts in Windows

Van Lant, Robin

Hi,

With my kids out of school and teachers trying online learning, my sighted 9 year old needs to use my personal laptop.  I suppose I could give her my Windows password, but I’m wondering if it’s better to giver her own user profile so it will turn JAWS off for her and maybe even use a normal windows color scheme and simpler desktop with just what she needs.  This is uncharted territory for me.  Is this easy to set up?  Will it be easy for me to switch profiles at the login screen if JAWS is set to run at login?  Any issues I should be aware of in sharing my laptop with a sighted user?

Windows 1909, Office 2016 and JAWS 2020

Thanks.

Robin

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Yes, quite easy to do, I have a login on our home laptop for myself and my wife. Jaws is set to come on at the logon, but once my wife logs in Jaws does not start, she has her own folders like Documents, Pictures, Music etc., of course her own Desktop and so on. Much better if you set up your daughter with her own login.

You might want to ask her school if she has her own account there, in Settings > Accounts you have an option for “Access Work or School”, but for that she would have to have I think an account with her school.

If not just go to Settings > Accounts and go to “Email and Accounts”, tab once to “Add Account” and set it up.

With my kids out of school and teachers trying online learning, my sighted 9 year old needs to use my personal laptop.  I suppose I could give her my Windows password, but I’m wondering if it’s better to giver her own user profile so it will turn JAWS off for her and maybe even use a normal windows color scheme and simpler desktop with just what she needs.  This is uncharted territory for me.  Is this easy to set up?  Will it be easy for me to switch profiles at the login screen if JAWS is set to run at login?  Any issues I should be aware of in sharing my laptop with a sighted user?

Windows 1909, Office 2016 and JAWS 2020

Thanks.

Robin

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Van Lant, Robin

Thank you.  I’ll give it a try tonight.

[...]

Thabo Baseki

Hi!

That should be an easy thing to do. I have three accounts on my Windows machine. I can switch to any of them at any time. I love the service, it makes work much easier for me. I haven’t encountered any issue as JAWS is concerned. What you will need to do is, by default, your computer will need a password of the last account which you used previously when it was on. If you want to switch to another account, in the logon screen, simply just press the tab key, until you hear JAWS say “switch to XXX account”, then press enter to switch to that account. Then you’ll be prompted to enter the password for that particular account.

Thanks for asking! I hope I could help.

Best

Thabo

JAWS certified-2020