moderated Having Trouble Accessing Bookmarks In Google Chrome

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

Up until today, I could easily access my bookmark list in Google Chrome when in the main search window by pressing alt F and then B for bookmarks.  Once there, it was very easy to arrow down or use first-letter navigation to get to the bookmark I was looking for.

Now, wheneber I hit alt F, I land in a help menu, and have to physically navigate to my bookmark list by using my arrow keys.

I’m not sure what has changed or why.

I’m also not sure how to get things to function the way they previously did.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan

Bill White

There was an update to Google Chrome today. That could be the culprit, or you may have turned off the bookmarks bar.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Up until today, I could easily access my bookmark list in Google Chrome when in the main search window by pressing alt F and then B for bookmarks.  Once there, it was very easy to arrow down or use first-letter navigation to get to the bookmark I was looking for.

Now, wheneber I hit alt F, I land in a help menu, and have to physically navigate to my bookmark list by using my arrow keys.

I’m not sure what has changed or why.

I’m also not sure how to get things to function the way they previously did.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan

Tom Behler

Bill:

I have no clue how I could have turned off the bookmarks bar.

How do I make sure that is turned on?

Regarding the update, I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and what can be done to restore easy access to my bookmarks.

Tom Behler

There was an update to Google Chrome today. That could be the culprit, or you may have turned off the bookmarks bar.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Up until today, I could easily access my bookmark list in Google Chrome when in the main search window by pressing alt F and then B for bookmarks.  Once there, it was very easy to arrow down or use first-letter navigation to get to the bookmark I was looking for.

Now, wheneber I hit alt F, I land in a help menu, and have to physically navigate to my bookmark list by using my arrow keys.

I’m not sure what has changed or why.

I’m also not sure how to get things to function the way they previously did.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan

Bill White

Hi, Tom. Try pressing CONTROL plus SHIFT plus B while in Chrome, and see if your bookmarks show up again.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

There was an update to Google Chrome today. That could be the culprit, or you may have turned off the bookmarks bar.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Up until today, I could easily access my bookmark list in Google Chrome when in the main search window by pressing alt F and then B for bookmarks.  Once there, it was very easy to arrow down or use first-letter navigation to get to the bookmark I was looking for.

Now, wheneber I hit alt F, I land in a help menu, and have to physically navigate to my bookmark list by using my arrow keys.

I’m not sure what has changed or why.

I’m also not sure how to get things to function the way they previously did.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan

Tom Behler

Sorry, Bill.

Control shift B did nothing.

I get no bookmark list, and Jaws doesn’t say anything at all.

Tom Behler

[...]

Hareth

Hi,
the hotkey for chrome bookmarks is: ctrl + shift + o
TC

On 5/24/22, Tom Behler <tombehler@...> wrote:
Hello, everyone.

Up until today, I could easily access my bookmark list in Google Chrome
when
in the main search window by pressing alt F and then B for bookmarks. Once
there, it was very easy to arrow down or use first-letter navigation to get
to the bookmark I was looking for.

Now, wheneber I hit alt F, I land in a help menu, and have to physically
navigate to my bookmark list by using my arrow keys.

I'm not sure what has changed or why.

I'm also not sure how to get things to function the way they previously
did.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Dr. Tom Behler From Michigan

Tom Behler

Hello.

I assume you mean control shift O for accessing the bookmark list, rather than control shift OTC.

When I press control shift O, I do get a bookmark list, but is more complex than the one I used to get with alt F followed by the letter B.

The new list has more actions with each bookmark, and is rather difficult to navigate consistently with Jaws.

If anyone has any clarifications on this, or any other work-arounds, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Tom Behler

the hotkey for chrome bookmarks is: ctrl + shift + o TC

On 5/24/22, Tom Behler <tombehler@...> wrote:
Hello, everyone.

Up until today, I could easily access my bookmark list in Google
Chrome when in the main search window by pressing alt F and then B for
bookmarks. Once there, it was very easy to arrow down or use
first-letter navigation to get to the bookmark I was looking for.

Now, wheneber I hit alt F, I land in a help menu, and have to
physically navigate to my bookmark list by using my arrow keys.

I'm not sure what has changed or why.

I'm also not sure how to get things to function the way they
previously did.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Dr. Tom Behler From Michigan

Hareth

Sorry, thought I've put The TC in a new line for take care.
Ctrl+ shift + o it is.
I rarely use it since I prefer creating my favorites the old way.
TC

On 5/25/22, Tom Behler <tombehler@...> wrote:
[...]

Adrian Spratt

Hi Tom,

To restore your bookmarks bar, try this:

With focus in Chrome, press alt-f, then b

Arrow down to the checkbox for the bookmarks bar. Assuming it’s unchecked, press enter.

I hope this works for you. It just did for me.

--

My novel Caroline is now available in paperback, Kindle and audiobook versions and, for qualified readers in the US, at the National Library Service/BARD. Go to: https://adrianspratt.com/book/

There was an update to Google Chrome today. That could be the culprit, or you may have turned off the bookmarks bar.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Up until today, I could easily access my bookmark list in Google Chrome when in the main search window by pressing alt F and then B for bookmarks.  Once there, it was very easy to arrow down or use first-letter navigation to get to the bookmark I was looking for.

Now, wheneber I hit alt F, I land in a help menu, and have to physically navigate to my bookmark list by using my arrow keys.

I’m not sure what has changed or why.

I’m also not sure how to get things to function the way they previously did.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan

Bill White

Hi, Tom. Have you restarted your computer since you began having trouble with ALT plus F taking you to the help file in Chrome?

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

the hotkey for chrome bookmarks is: ctrl + shift + o TC

On 5/24/22, Tom Behler <tombehler@...> wrote:
Hello, everyone.

Up until today, I could easily access my bookmark list in Google
Chrome when in the main search window by pressing alt F and then B for
bookmarks. Once there, it was very easy to arrow down or use
first-letter navigation to get to the bookmark I was looking for.

Now, wheneber I hit alt F, I land in a help menu, and have to
physically navigate to my bookmark list by using my arrow keys.

I'm not sure what has changed or why.

I'm also not sure how to get things to function the way they
previously did.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Dr. Tom Behler From Michigan

Panagiotis Antonopoulos

Hi Tom/all,

I too have experienced this, but should have nothing to do with the update because I have noticed this earlier. Unfortunately I can not give you directions for mending this.

                                                                Take care,

                                                                Takis

There was an update to Google Chrome today. That could be the culprit, or you may have turned off the bookmarks bar.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Up until today, I could easily access my bookmark list in Google Chrome when in the main search window by pressing alt F and then B for bookmarks.  Once there, it was very easy to arrow down or use first-letter navigation to get to the bookmark I was looking for.

Now, wheneber I hit alt F, I land in a help menu, and have to physically navigate to my bookmark list by using my arrow keys.

I’m not sure what has changed or why.

I’m also not sure how to get things to function the way they previously did.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan

Tom Behler

Yes, I have with no luck.

In fact, that's the first thing I did when I noticed the problem.

Thanks for the great suggestion, though.

Tom Behler

[...]

Curtis Chong

Tom:

My experience in Chrome with bookmarks does not match yours. Pressing Alt f followed by the letter b takes me to Bookmarks, which has a submenu which I need to open. As far as I know, I am on the latest version of Chrome, that being Google Chrome Version 102.0.5005.61.

I think that in order to solve your problem, someone needs to Tandem into your system and take a look around. If you think I might be of help, you can reach me offline at chong.curtis@....

Warmly,

Curtis Chong

[...]

Curtis:

Bill White has offered assistance to me via phone, which I will use if I can't solve the issue soon.

I'm currently traveling, and won't be able to get into a detailed tandem session until Friday or over the week-end.

If things don't work out with Bill, I may be contacting you, and I truly appreciate your offer.

For your and everyone's information, I'm using the following version of Google Chrome, which I think I successfully located in the Google Chrome help menu:

Google Chrome 102.0.5005.63 (Official Build) (64-bit) (cohort: Stable)

Thanks to you and everyone for your continued assistance.

Tom Behler

[...]

Marie Nelson

I just opened Chrome and find that I can not get to the bookmarks with any of the keystrokes previously mentioned. It has been so reliable and simple to get to the list with Alt+f+b but now no luck. I did see right away that the "show Bookmarks bar" was not checked so I checked it but still no luck. I closed Chrome and re-opened with the same problem and the show bookmarks bar was once again unchecked. I am running Win 11, jaws 2022.
Marie

[...]

Greetings Marie:

I do not understand why some folks are having this issue with Chrome. I do
understand that this is indeed a real issue for those folks where this is
happening.

This is not a universal issue for all Chrome users, however. Also, I am
wondering if people can try this with something like Narrator or NVDA to see
if the behavior changes.

I myself cannot get to the menus with Narrator, but with NVDA/JAWS, the
menus work for me, including getting to my book marks in Chrome.

Warmly,

Curtis Chong

the hotkey for chrome bookmarks is: ctrl + shift + o TC

On 5/24/22, Tom Behler <tombehler@...> wrote:
Hello, everyone.

Up until today, I could easily access my bookmark list in Google
Chrome when in the main search window by pressing alt F and then B for
bookmarks. Once there, it was very easy to arrow down or use
first-letter navigation to get to the bookmark I was looking for.

Now, wheneber I hit alt F, I land in a help menu, and have to
physically navigate to my bookmark list by using my arrow keys.

I'm not sure what has changed or why.

I'm also not sure how to get things to function the way they
previously did.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Dr. Tom Behler From Michigan

leonard morris

I use edge for my browser but I did open chrome to see if the bookmark keystroke was working properly. The keystroke alt f followed by b does bring up bookmarks for me. So, is it possible you brought up the edge browser? I am just thinking out loud. I certainly hope you get the issue fixed.

On May 26, 2022, at 12:57 AM, Curtis Chong <chong.curtis@...> wrote:

[...]

Curtis and list,

Two or three weeks ago, I decided that the reason a certain function (I wish I could remember which one) wasn't working for me with Chrome must mean the browser had somehow deteriorated. I uninstalled and reinstalled it, and the problem went away. One correction I needed to make on reinstalling was to check the "bookmarks bar" checkbox.

I've told Tom off-list.

[...]

Well I hate to admit a foolish mistake on my part. My primary system is my Dell desktop, but I recently purchased a Lenovo Tiny. I normally use Microsoft Edge but had installed Chrome. I thought I had set it to synch with the other system. There is where my mistake occurred. I was not seeing my bookmarks because there were none on this device. So sorry for this error and it is now corrected and the normal Ald F B works as usual.
I thought it wise to post this just in case it might happen to someone else.
Marie

the hotkey for chrome bookmarks is: ctrl + shift + o TC

On 5/24/22, Tom Behler <tombehler@...> wrote:
Hello, everyone.

Up until today, I could easily access my bookmark list in Google
Chrome when in the main search window by pressing alt F and then B for
bookmarks. Once there, it was very easy to arrow down or use
first-letter navigation to get to the bookmark I was looking for.

Now, wheneber I hit alt F, I land in a help menu, and have to
physically navigate to my bookmark list by using my arrow keys.

I'm not sure what has changed or why.

I'm also not sure how to get things to function the way they
previously did.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Dr. Tom Behler From Michigan

Tom Behler

Leonard:

No, I’m sure I’m using Google Chrome, not Edge.

My Google Chrome shortcut continues to work fine, which is good.

Tom Behler