From: jfw-bounces@... [mailto:jfw-bounces@...]
On Behalf Of Frank Ventura
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:44 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Having JFW 12 read a phone number as one word

Hi all can anyone tell me what number processing options need to be set
to have JFW read a phone number as one word. For example if I type
617-222-2345 I don't want JFW to speak at all until after I typed the 5.
Hope that makes snese.
Frank

Ann Byrne

turn on smart reading. That's supposed to treat a phone number as a single unit.

At 07:19 AM 7/12/2011, you wrote:
The hyphens tell JAWS to separate the three sets of numbers. You would need
to write all ten digits without any separators, including spaces.

Hi all can anyone tell me what number processing options need to be set
to have JFW read a phone number as one word. For example if I type
617-222-2345 I don't want JFW to speak at all until after I typed the 5.
Hope that makes snese.
Frank

Mike & Barbara In Arcadia <mb69mach1@...>

Hi all,

Thank you Ann for mentioning this little known option . Below is what
Jaws10 & Jaws12 says about Smart Word Reading. I included both because
Jaws10 explains it much better & there might be some list members who don't
have Jaws10 installed

Jaws10;
In previous JAWS releases, when issuing the Say Word command, JAWS would
only read the current word or character when the cursor was positioned on a
text

unit,

such as a compound word, telephone number, date, time, or math equation.
With Smart Word Reading enabled, JAWS now reads the entire text

unit when the Say Word command is issued.

Note: Cursor movement is controlled by the application. So, if Microsoft
Word's cursor normally navigates the entire

text unit as one word or number, then JAWS will read it the same way.
Likewise, if an application, such as WordPad,

navigates through each component of the text unit, then JAWS will read it
the same way.

For example, in the sentence, "She is my sister-in-law," if the cursor is
placed anywhere on the word "sister," JAWS would say "sister." However,

with Smart Word Reading, JAWS will now say the entire compound word,
"sister-in-law."

Likewise, in the sentence, "The appointment was at 2:00 P.M.," JAWS would
say "colon" if the cursor was placed between the digit 2 and the colon.

Now with Smart Word Reading enabled, JAWS will say the entire text unit as
two o'clock.

As a final example, let's look at how JAWS reads a telephone number. If the
cursor is placed between the dash and the 444 in the telephone number
1-800-444-4443,

previous JAWS versions would say, "444." With Smart Word Reading enabled,
JAWS reads the entire telephone number as, "1-800-444-4443."

Jaws12;

Select this check box to have JAWS read the entire text unit, such as a
compound word, telephone number, date, time, or math equation, when using
the Say
Word command. Note: Cursor movement is controlled by the application. So,
if Microsoft Word's cursor normally navigates the entire text unit as one
word
or number, then the text is read in the same way. Likewise, if an
application, such as WordPad, navigates through each component of the text
unit, then
JAWS will read it the same way. This check box is selected by default.

Hope this helps. Take care.
Mike

At 07:19 AM 7/12/2011, you wrote:
>The hyphens tell JAWS to separate the three sets of numbers. You would
need
>to write all ten digits without any separators, including spaces.

julie <memphis.magnolia@...>

Where do you find this checkbox in jfw12 to enable the smart word command? Thank you.

David <davidwhitehead1957@...>

Hello there;

I believe the
Smart word reading is on by default,
You find this setting by pressing,
Insert+v=adjust jaws options,
Now press the letter "s", until you hear,
Smart word reading,
It's probably set to on.

Hi all can anyone tell me what number processing options need to be set
to have JFW read a phone number as one word. For example if I type
617-222-2345 I don't want JFW to speak at all until after I typed the 5.
Hope that makes snese.
Frank

Marquette, Ed <Ed.Marquette@...>

To adjust smart word reading a little more globally (and permanently), go to settings center (one way is with insert plus F-2 and then "S" until you hear "Settings Center")
In the Settings Center search box, type "SMART"
It was on by default.
I just checked.

Now press the letter "s", until you hear,
Smart word reading,
It's probably set to on.

Hi all can anyone tell me what number processing options need to be set
to have JFW read a phone number as one word. For example if I type
617-222-2345 I don't want JFW to speak at all until after I typed the 5.
Hope that makes snese.
Frank

#############################################################################################################
This E-mail message is confidential, is intended only for the named recipient(s) above and may contain information
Thank you.
#############################################################################################################

julie <memphis.magnolia@...>

This is very helpful. Thank you so much.

Mike & Barbara In Arcadia <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Julie,

This was posted earlier from David.

From: David
Hello there;

I believe the
Smart word reading is on by default,
You find this setting by pressing,
Insert+v=adjust jaws options,
Now press the letter "s", until you hear,
Smart word reading,
It's probably set to on. Press the spacebar to turn it off.
David

To do this in the default configuration manager do the following;

1. Press Insert / Jaws key + 6 on the number row or press Insert / Jaws key
+ F2 key, arrow down to Settings Center & press enter.
2. Press control, shift, + D, for default settings center.
3. Arrow down to Text Processing & press right arrow to open.
4. Arrow down 1 time to General & right arrow to open.
5. Arrow down to smart word reading, if this box is unchecked, press the
spacebar to check it, & tab to okay, press enter to save the changes &
close.

Hope this helps. Take care.
mike

Where do you find this checkbox in jfw12 to enable the smart word command?
Thank you.

julie <memphis.magnolia@...>

Thank you, tracked it down and it was on by default.
Smiles,
Julie

Frank Ventura

Ann, thanks actually with keyboard echo set to Words I actually had to
turn OFF smart reading. Sounds weird but it worked.
Thanks
Frank

Hi all can anyone tell me what number processing options need to be set
to have JFW read a phone number as one word. For example if I type
617-222-2345 I don't want JFW to speak at all until after I typed the
5.
Hope that makes snese.
Frank

Dorothy <dorothy.ingram-gorban@...>

Getting phone numbers read is hell,in Uk to ring USA you remove the first
number then add 001 and like as not finish up speaking to a stranger, and
the brackets are a nuisance a friend now using Jaws once worked as a
telephonist years ago he said he could memorise long numbers spoken as no
computers then, anddid not make mistakes, why I can only just remember next
version of jaws is number13, and was told it was going to skip toJaws14
sender said in Hotels they never have a floor that is13,but jump to14 from
12 I have never noticed that in the UK butvcounting is a gift I do not have,
never trust people who say there are ten stairs, they always miscount and I
have injuries to prove that! Sorry about that!

Hi all can anyone tell me what number processing options need to be set
to have JFW read a phone number as one word. For example if I type
617-222-2345 I don't want JFW to speak at all until after I typed the
5.
Hope that makes snese.
Frank

Alex Stone <alex.stone@...>

Dorothy, Yes I'm sure I read somewhere last year that there wasn't going to
be a Jaws 13, which just goes to show you should never listen to rumours.
Cheers
Alex

Hi all can anyone tell me what number processing options need to be set
to have JFW read a phone number as one word. For example if I type
617-222-2345 I don't want JFW to speak at all until after I typed the
5.
Hope that makes snese.
Frank

Chris Smart <csmart8@...>

Whatever it ends up being called, I'm sure it will be more bloated with bells and whistles, run a little slower, etc. :)

Dave Durber

Chris:

It is a shame, that FS lack the ability in taking a courageous decision, not to add more useless features in the next release of JFW and, instead, concentrate on fixing many of the long-term problems that we as JAWS users have been complaining about for years.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber