moderated Has Windows finally developed a screen curtain like Apple has for Voice over

turab chimthanawala

Hi all,
Is there a screen curtain in Windows? If not anyway I can prevent
people spoofing in when I type in some personal content?
Thanks

--
Regards,

Turab Chimthanawala
(ACS, LLM)
+91-8087813609
turabhvc@gmail.com

Steve Nutt

No, and I'm glad of it too.

The trouble with screen curtains is if your device crashes and the screen doesn't come on, you can't get sighted help.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@comproom.co.uk
Is there a screen curtain in Windows? If not anyway I can prevent people spoofing in when I type in some personal content?
Thanks

--
Regards,

Turab Chimthanawala
(ACS, LLM)
+91-8087813609
turabhvc@gmail.com

Sameer

Dear Turab,

You can use the "Screenshade" feature in JAWS to prevent others from looking over your shoulder when you type sensitive details. The Screenshade can be turned on or off with the keystroke, JAWS key + Spacebar, followed by F11. This keystroke is a toggle keystroke.

Regards
Sameer Latey

On 07-10-2021 04:56 pm, Steve Nutt wrote:
[...]

Jim Weiss <jimweiss72@...>

There is not one in Win 10, and I haven’t played with Win 11 enough to answer that question. JAWS has a screen curtain that I believe was introduced in 2020. As far as Steve’s comment about the system crashing, the screen curtain would not remain active as it is only on until JAWS is reset (or in the case of MacOS or iOS until the device is reset). Meaning if you are using JAWS and logout or reboot the machine the screen curtain is off until you turn it back on again. If the machine crashes and reboots or is forced to reboot the screen curtain will be off until you reactivate it again.
Jim Weiss
jimweiss72@icloud.com

On Oct 7, 2021, at 7:08 AM, turab chimthanawala <turabhvc@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,
Is there a screen curtain in Windows? If not anyway I can prevent
people spoofing in when I type in some personal content?
Thanks

--
Regards,

Turab Chimthanawala
(ACS, LLM)
+91-8087813609
turabhvc@gmail.com

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

For the purpose of entering sensitive data, the screen curtain is ideal since you can toggle it on and off very quickly.

Richard
"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it." - Jane Wagner

[...]

Glenn / Lenny

Why not just turn off the monitor completely?
Or if it is a laptop with a separate keyboard, keep the lid closed, and set the power options to do nothing when the lid is closed.
It saves energy too.
Glenn

Is there a screen curtain in Windows? If not anyway I can prevent
people spoofing in when I type in some personal content?
Thanks

--
Regards,

Turab Chimthanawala
(ACS, LLM)
+91-8087813609
turabhvc@gmail.com

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

I would never leave a laptop lid closed. At my last place of employment (last as in now retired,) a guy did that because he had a large external monitor and a very small office so used it as extra desk space ... that is until it over heated and wouldn't turn on and was making lots of noise because the fan was working massive overtime.

Just use the screen curtain it is easy and effective.

Richard
"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it." - Jane Wagner

Is there a screen curtain in Windows? If not anyway I can prevent
people spoofing in when I type in some personal content?
Thanks

--
Regards,

Turab Chimthanawala
(ACS, LLM)
+91-8087813609
turabhvc@gmail.com

Glenn / Lenny

That must have been a long time ago, when the laptop lids locked shut.
They don't lock down now, and air can get in when the lids are closed.
Glenn

Is there a screen curtain in Windows? If not anyway I can prevent
people spoofing in when I type in some personal content?
Thanks

--
Regards,

Turab Chimthanawala