Topics

moderated Google Sheets - how to adjust column width?

Tanguy LOHEAC

Hi there

Does anyone know how to automatically adjust column width in Google Sheets? The only steps i found on the web refer to actions with the mouse pointer, and I can't find any options in the menus.

Thanks in advance for your help

have a nice day

Tanguy

--
Didactiweb - les formations adaptées aux déficients visuels
Tanguy Lohéac
Cofondateur et Responsable technique
06 20 23 77 26
tanguy.loheac@...
Skype/a>

Avast logo

L'absence de virus dans ce courrier électronique a été vérifiée par le logiciel antivirus Avast.
www.avast.com

Personally, I like using the "Fit to Data" option to automatically resize columns.  See: Automatically resize columns in Google Sheets with “Fit to data”

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=using+google+sheets+with+a+screen+reader 

Keyboard shortcuts for Google Sheets - Computer - Docs ...

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

~ André Gide

Tanguy LOHEAC

Hi Brian

Thank you for your answer. I've already read the first link and it is just talking about clicks. There are no keyboard steps.

Le 03/02/2021 à 16:26, Brian Vogel a écrit :

Personally, I like using the "Fit to Data" option to automatically resize columns.  See: Automatically resize columns in Google Sheets with “Fit to data”

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=using+google+sheets+with+a+screen+reader 

Keyboard shortcuts for Google Sheets - Computer - Docs ...

--

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

~ André Gide

--
Didactiweb - les formations adaptées aux déficients visuels
Tanguy Lohéac
Cofondateur et Responsable technique
06 20 23 77 26
tanguy.loheac@...
Skype/a>

Avast logo

L'absence de virus dans ce courrier électronique a été vérifiée par le logiciel antivirus Avast.
www.avast.com

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 10:56 AM, Tanguy LOHEAC wrote:
I've already read the first link and it is just talking about clicks. There are no keyboard steps.
-

To automatically resize column width in Google Sheets to fit text, follow these steps:

1. Select the column(s) that you want to fit to the text inside them
  2. Right click at the top of a selected column, then click "Resize column…"
  3. Click "Fit to data, then click, "OK"
I'm sorry, but there is no excuse, none, for a screen reader user not to be able to translate "right click" in a sighted set of instructions to "bring up the context menu by the method of your choosing."

Click resize column.  Gain focus on resize column control and activate.

Click "fit to data."    Gain focus on the Fit to data menu option/radio button/checkbox/whatever control, and activate.

Click OK button.  Activate OK button.

Etc.

If you cannot do the direct translation from typical point and click to its exact keyboard equivalent then it's time to learn.  It was long ago time to learn.

There is nothing in those three steps that any screen reader user should not immediately understand and be able to do.  It's not rocket science.

--

~ André Gide