moderated Google Chrome Shortcut Constantly Disappearing

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I’m not sure if this is a Jaws or Google issue, but recently, it seems that my alt control G Google Chrome shortcut constantly disappears.  Sometimes, it stays for a week or so, but at other times, it doesn’t even stick for a day.

I reinstate the shortcut by accessing Google Chrome on my desktop, and then by going to properties to the shortcut page.

Is there any way I can stop this behavior??

Thanks!

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan

John Doering

Hello:

I wonder if it is not a Windows 10 thing.

I have the same problem with the Outlook short cut I created on my desk top.

Every once in a while it will disappear and I have to set it up again.

🤔

Regards,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Office: 4147783040 Extn:4063
Mobile:
445 S Curtis Rd West Allis, WI 53214
https://ibvi.org

External Message - Use caution when opening links or attachments

Hello, everyone.

I’m not sure if this is a Jaws or Google issue, but recently, it seems that my alt control G Google Chrome shortcut constantly disappears.  Sometimes, it stays for a week or so, but at other times, it doesn’t even stick for a day.

I reinstate the shortcut by accessing Google Chrome on my desktop, and then by going to properties to the shortcut page.

Is there any way I can stop this behavior??

Thanks!

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan

Jeff Christiansen

You will need to uncheck, permit themes to change the desktop, in

Themes and related settings, System settings & then, desktop icons

Tab through the options and uncheck the box indicated above

HTH

External Message - Use caution when opening links or attachments

Hello, everyone.

I’m not sure if this is a Jaws or Google issue, but recently, it seems that my alt control G Google Chrome shortcut constantly disappears.  Sometimes, it stays for a week or so, but at other times, it doesn’t even stick for a day.

I reinstate the shortcut by accessing Google Chrome on my desktop, and then by going to properties to the shortcut page.

Is there any way I can stop this behavior??

Thanks!

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan

John Doering

Will give it a try.

Thanks,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Office: 4147783040 Extn:4063
Mobile:
445 S Curtis Rd West Allis, WI 53214
https://ibvi.org

External Message - Use caution when opening links or attachments

Hello, everyone.

I’m not sure if this is a Jaws or Google issue, but recently, it seems that my alt control G Google Chrome shortcut constantly disappears.  Sometimes, it stays for a week or so, but at other times, it doesn’t even stick for a day.

I reinstate the shortcut by accessing Google Chrome on my desktop, and then by going to properties to the shortcut page.

Is there any way I can stop this behavior??

Thanks!

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan

Tom Behler

Jeff:

I tried several times, but can’t seem to get to the item that  you say needs to be un-checked.

Could you send me step-by-step instructions for accomplishing this?

I think I’m missing a step somewhere.

As additional information, I’m using Windows 10 here on a Dell laptop.

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler

External Message - Use caution when opening links or attachments

Hello, everyone.

I’m not sure if this is a Jaws or Google issue, but recently, it seems that my alt control G Google Chrome shortcut constantly disappears.  Sometimes, it stays for a week or so, but at other times, it doesn’t even stick for a day.

I reinstate the shortcut by accessing Google Chrome on my desktop, and then by going to properties to the shortcut page.

Is there any way I can stop this behavior??

Thanks!

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan

Jeff Christiansen

Bill

Try this, hoping it works better

1 touch the start key, the search menu opens

2 type, desktop icon, JAWS announces, Themes and related settings, System settings, press right to switch preview, press enter here

3 tab to related settings, JAWS announces, Desktop icon settings Link, press enter here

4 tab to, Allow themes to change desktop icons check box, you want this unchecked

5 apply the change, Alt+A, or tab to the apply button & press enter

6 close the settings window

External Message - Use caution when opening links or attachments

Hello, everyone.

I’m not sure if this is a Jaws or Google issue, but recently, it seems that my alt control G Google Chrome shortcut constantly disappears.  Sometimes, it stays for a week or so, but at other times, it doesn’t even stick for a day.

I reinstate the shortcut by accessing Google Chrome on my desktop, and then by going to properties to the shortcut page.

Is there any way I can stop this behavior??

Thanks!

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan

Tom Behler

Jeff:

I tried your new set of instructions, but got only so far.

Here’s what I did:

1 touch the start key, the search menu opens

2 type, desktop icon, JAWS announces, Themes and related settings, System settings, press right to switch preview, press enter here

3 tab to related settings, JAWS announces, Desktop icon settings Link, press enter here

However, once I got to this point, and tried to tabbed to allow themes to change desktop icons, I only found a link, not a checkbox to uncheck.

I think I’m close, but not quite there.

All I know is that this seems much more complicated than it needs to be for making such a simple change.

And, of course, I’m still confused as to why the shortcut is lost to begin with.

If you don’t mind, please let me know where I might still be going wrong, and I’ll give things another try.

Hopefully, more people than just me will benefit from these instructions.

Thanks again!

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 11:07 AM, Jeff Christiansen wrote:

Try this, hoping it works better

1 touch the start key, the search menu opens

2 type, desktop icon, JAWS announces, Themes and related settings, System settings, press right to switch preview, press enter here

3 tab to related settings, JAWS announces, Desktop icon settings Link, press enter here

4 tab to, Allow themes to change desktop icons check box, you want this unchecked

5 apply the change, Alt+A, or tab to the apply button & press enter

6 close the settings window

-
The above steps are just fine.  The only thing I'll add is that after activating the Desktop Icon Settings link what opens up is a dialog with the title, Desktop Icon Settings.

In that dialog, there is absolutely a checkbox for Allow themes to change desktop icons.  This particular dialog is "as old as the hills" and existed since Windows 7, possibly even before that.

Personally, I'd change Step 5 to simply, "Navigate to the OK button and activate."   The OK button always applies whatever changes you've made and also closes the dialog at the same time.

You still do have to close the Windows 10 settings after having closed the dialog.

Friendship. . . Intimacy, untroubled by eros.

         ~ Kim Chernin

Adrian Spratt

Tom and Jeff,

It might be worth trying a completely different approach that Vispero’s tech guys gave me for JAWS’ desktop items. Those icons used to disappear on me all the time. The solution was to add another word or phrase to the icon’s name. In the case of JAWS 22, for instance, I added “shortcut.” Thus: JAWS 2022 shortcut.” I have no idea why it makes a difference, but it does. I haven’t lost a JAWS icon since. Shouldn’t the same fix work for other icons?

So, the steps:

Place focus on the icon.

Press F2 to enable editing of the icon’s name.

Make the desired change.

Press enter.

That’s it. Simple, utterly mysterious and completely effective.

--

My novel Caroline is now available in paperback, Kindle and audiobook versions: https://adrianspratt.com/book/

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 01:09 PM, Adrian Spratt wrote:
Simple, utterly mysterious and completely effective.
-
Definitely mysterious.

Neither this, nor unchecking the previously noted checkbox, should have anything to do with having desktop icons disappear (or not).

Even that checkbox is about changing icon appearance, not changing the presence of icons on the desktop.  Some themes have some pretty wild icon sets and what they choose to replace certain things with can be pretty darned annoying (at least if you're relying on vision - the name of the icon remains unchanged - but like all things habitual, that matters when you're a "point and clicker" on auto-pilot).

Friendship. . . Intimacy, untroubled by eros.

         ~ Kim Chernin

Jeff Christiansen

Interesting, if this approach works then I’ve learned a new one.

Toying with my, VMware Horizon Client shortcut, following your steps I don’t see any difference, as to ownership or anything that shows itself as the reason, thanks

External Message - Use caution when opening links or attachments

Hello, everyone.

I’m not sure if this is a Jaws or Google issue, but recently, it seems that my alt control G Google Chrome shortcut constantly disappears.  Sometimes, it stays for a week or so, but at other times, it doesn’t even stick for a day.

I reinstate the shortcut by accessing Google Chrome on my desktop, and then by going to properties to the shortcut page.

Is there any way I can stop this behavior??

Thanks!

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan

Bill White

Hi, Tom. This has to do with the fact that, periodically, Google Chrome is updated to a new version. Each time that Google Chrome is updated to a new version, the desktop shortcut disappears. I haven't found that unchecking "permit themes to change the desktop, stops this from happening.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 02:02 PM, Bill White wrote:
Each time that Google Chrome is updated to a new version, the desktop shortcut disappears.
-
Uh, no.  Absolutely not.

Friendship. . . Intimacy, untroubled by eros.

         ~ Kim Chernin

Bill White

Listen, Bryan. Don't tell me what happens on my system. Contrary to what you think, you don't know everything, despite what that megalomaniac voice inside your head tells you!

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 02:02 PM, Bill White wrote:

Each time that Google Chrome is updated to a new version, the desktop shortcut disappears.

-
Uh, no.  Absolutely not.

Friendship. . . Intimacy, untroubled by eros.

         ~ Kim Chernin

Adrian Spratt

Bill,

Your experience may also explain why my JAWS icons used either to disappear or cease to have effect. In turn, it could suggest why changing the icon’s name works. My system recognizes the new icon name, but the underlying program wouldn’t know to alter it.

I’m a near-total non-techy. However, I got the idea about changing an icon’s name from a Vispero technician years ago, and it’s served me well ever since. I can only make guesses at why.

Listen, Bryan. Don't tell me what happens on my system. Contrary to what you think, you don't know everything, despite what that megalomaniac voice inside your head tells you!

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 02:02 PM, Bill White wrote:

Each time that Google Chrome is updated to a new version, the desktop shortcut disappears.

-
Uh, no.  Absolutely not.

Friendship. . . Intimacy, untroubled by eros.

         ~ Kim Chernin

Ward Dudley

I have at different times had different ikons disappear. They are placed in the recycle bin. Just go there and restore it.

Ward

Listen, Bryan. Don't tell me what happens on my system. Contrary to what you think, you don't know everything, despite what that megalomaniac voice inside your head tells you!

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 02:02 PM, Bill White wrote:

Each time that Google Chrome is updated to a new version, the desktop shortcut disappears.

-
Uh, no.  Absolutely not.

Friendship. . . Intimacy, untroubled by eros.

         ~ Kim Chernin

Bill White

Hi, Ward and Adrian. What happens on my system is that Google Chrome overwrites the shortcut for Chrome, and the hotkey ceases to work, because, Windows sees it as a new shortcut, and thus, there is no hotkey assigned to the shortcut. The old shortcut never ends up in the recycle bin on my system. It is just overwritten with a new shortcut which has no hotkey assigned to it. The approach I have taken is to have a backup folder with all my desktop icons stored in it. If the Google Chrome shortcut is overwritten, I just delete the new one, and recopy the old one from the backup folder back onto my desktop. This saves me from having to reassign a hotkey to the shortcut each time Google Chrome is updated.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 02:30 PM, Bill White wrote:
Listen, Bryan. Don't tell me what happens on my system.
-
Sorry, Bill, but you're presenting what happens on your system - which is idiosyncratic by the way - as though it's universal.  It's not.

And I'm sorry if my years of experience as a computer support tech, and what that direct experience tells me about what is the norm, does not suit you.  That doesn't make it incorrect, nor me a megalomaniac.

Friendship. . . Intimacy, untroubled by eros.

         ~ Kim Chernin

Bill White

Brian, someone wrote on the list after I posted my comment, saying that on their system, the same thing is happening on their system as is happening on mine, so this behavior is not idiosyncratic.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 02:30 PM, Bill White wrote:

Listen, Bryan. Don't tell me what happens on my system.

-
Sorry, Bill, but you're presenting what happens on your system - which is idiosyncratic by the way - as though it's universal.  It's not.

And I'm sorry if my years of experience as a computer support tech, and what that direct experience tells me about what is the norm, does not suit you.  That doesn't make it incorrect, nor me a megalomaniac.

Friendship. . . Intimacy, untroubled by eros.

         ~ Kim Chernin

Adrian Spratt

Yes, I shouldn’t have mentioned disappearing icons, which do, indeed, end up in Recycle. What you describe here, Bill, is what I experience and what changing the icon name solves.