Topics

moderated Google Chrome Question

Pastor Gil Pries <gilp@...>

I’d like Google Chrome to open with one of my book marks as a start page.

How do I do this?

Pastor Gil

Richard Turner

Here is the Google support page on how to do that,
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95314?hl=en

Richard

On Jan 20, 2020, at 5:07 AM, Pastor Gil Pries <gilp@...> wrote:

I’d like Google Chrome to open with one of my book marks as a start page.

How do I do this?

Pastor Gil

Pastor Gil Pries <gilp@...>

I read the article and couldn’t set the pstart page.

What do I do?

Pastor Gil

Here is the Google support page on how to do that,

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95314?hl=en

Richard

On Jan 20, 2020, at 5:07 AM, Pastor Gil Pries <gilp@...> wrote:

I’d like Google Chrome to open with one of my book marks as a start page.

How do I do this?

Pastor Gil

Richard Turner

Well, if you have a smart phone with the Be My Eyes app installed, you can call Google support through that and get a live accessibility agent at Google to assist.

I do not use Chrome.  I was attempting to be helpful since no one else had responded.

There are lots of Chrome users, so maybe someone will come up with better steps.

Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

I read the article and couldn’t set the pstart page.

What do I do?

Pastor Gil

Here is the Google support page on how to do that,

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95314?hl=en

Richard

On Jan 20, 2020, at 5:07 AM, Pastor Gil Pries <gilp@...> wrote:

I’d like Google Chrome to open with one of my book marks as a start page.

How do I do this?

Pastor Gil

It's precisely the same in Google Chrome as it is in pretty much any Chromium-based browser, and is done in the On Startup page of settings, the direct address of which is, in the Chrome Browser:  chrome://settings/onStartup.
I suggest that folks get to it via the menu and settings, looking for the On Startup entry there, but pasting the above address in a new tab will get you straight ther.

I wrote instructions:  Chromium-based Edge: Setting Home Page, Default Opening Page(s), and Search Engine
It's no different in the On Startup page in Chrome.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Pastor Gil Pries <gilp@...>

I had microsoft disability tech do it.

Thank you for your help.

I appreciate it very much.

Pastor Gil

I read the article and couldn’t set the pstart page.

What do I do?

Pastor Gil

Here is the Google support page on how to do that,

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95314?hl=en

Richard

On Jan 20, 2020, at 5:07 AM, Pastor Gil Pries <gilp@...> wrote:

I’d like Google Chrome to open with one of my book marks as a start page.

How do I do this?

Pastor Gil

Pastor Gil Pries <gilp@...>

How do I get Google Chrome to prompt me about saving passwords?

I have autofill turned on and I pressed the button about passwords, but Google Chrome doesn’t retain my passwords.

Pastor Gil

Jason White

After you’ve entered the password and submitted it, there’s a dialogue to which you have to respond in order to save it. Try Shift+Tab from the top of the page, or Shift+F6 until you get ther.

From: <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Pastor Gil Pries <gilp@...>
Date: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 at 06:51
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: Google Chrome Question

How do I get Google Chrome to prompt me about saving passwords?

I have autofill turned on and I pressed the button about passwords, but Google Chrome doesn’t retain my passwords.

Pastor Gil

Pastor Gil Pries <gilp@...>

Hi Jason,

I couldn’t find the dialog.

Pastor Gil

Pastor Gil Pries <gilp@...>

Thank you for replying.

I solved the pproblem.

Pastor Gil

I would highly recommend a proper password manager, I would not want my passwords remembered by my Browser, way to insecure.

From: <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Pastor Gil Pries <gilp@...>
Date: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 at 06:51
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>

How do I get Google Chrome to prompt me about saving passwords?

I have autofill turned on and I pressed the button about passwords, but Google Chrome doesn’t retain my passwords.

Pastor Gil

Pramit

Hi,

Rightly said by Jason, that you'll have to respond to the dialogue box that appears to save the password.
Also personally at times I face this challenge where even after the settings are Turned On to save the password but it still doesn't work, so let me share my personal work around for this. Mentioning it below and hope this helps.
1. Go to Chrome Settings and select "Autofill"
2. Under this there's an option - "Offer to save password"
3. Turn the - Offer to save password option OFF and then Turn it Back ON.

Now Below this you can also find the Saved Passwords that contains the list of all the websites whose passwords you have saved till date and below this you'll find "Never Saved". Also make sure the website whose password you want to save is not under Never Saved.

After this simply close the Chrome browser once and open it up.

Hope this helps!

Pramit

From: <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Pastor Gil Pries <gilp@...>
Date: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 at 06:51
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>

How do I get Google Chrome to prompt me about saving passwords?

I have autofill turned on and I pressed the button about passwords, but Google Chrome doesn’t retain my passwords.

Pastor Gil

Steve Nutt

Or Alt+Shift+A when you hear the notification, it will get you straight there.

All the best

Steve

From: <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Pastor Gil Pries <gilp@...>
Date: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 at 06:51
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>

How do I get Google Chrome to prompt me about saving passwords?

I have autofill turned on and I pressed the button about passwords, but Google Chrome doesn’t retain my passwords.

Pastor Gil

Steve Nutt

Why is it insecure?  It’s encrypted from Chrome’s end, I don’t see it being any less secure than a password manager.

All the best

Steve

From: <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Pastor Gil Pries <gilp@...>
Date: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 at 06:51
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 10:03 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:
It’s encrypted from Chrome’s end, I don’t see it being any less secure than a password manager
There is no one who's an IT professional who recommends that any browser's "remember passwords" feature be used.  They do encrypt, but they are nowhere near as secure as a true password manager.  Browsers have constant contact with and exposure to cyberspace, and password managers (or many of them, anyway) do not.  Virtually all modern password managers also include the ability to go straight to the website and auto-type the password you've stored (though this is getting less robust, which to me is a good thing, actually).

        ~ Joshua Liebman