moderated Getting my head around SharePoint and Office 365 online

Van Lant, Robin

Hi,

With the start of a new year, I’m trying to embrace learning some of the new technology our company has rolled out.  It’s a bit overwhelming, as they have been making improvements and rolling out access to various elements over time.  Namely, I’m speaking about moving our main communications platform to SharePoint online and leveraging Office 365 and Teams.  Today I’m just going through our SharePoint intranet homepage and trying to click on each button to see what it does.  What, of course, is confusing is that many aspects are customizable and not static.  A link at the top of the homepage says SharePoint, and if I click in it, it shows me various pages that I’m following, other recent pages I’ve visited that I may want to follow and some other things.   I’ll likely call a sighted colleague to walk me through some of the confusing parts, but want to spend some time getting as much of a handle on it as possible.

One question I have is about Office 365.  The first link on this SharePoint Online homepage is called “App Launcher”.  When I expand it, the default list includes links to Word, Excel, One Note, Forms, and a few others.  Other than Forms, my question to anyone with experience is whether there is value in keeping the links to Word, Excel and so on there.  I have the option to remove them from the  launcher, which would simplify my menu to only the things I need.  Since these buttons open the online versions of these programs, and I use the desktop apps, is there any value to a JAWS user of the online versions?  Other than possible Outlook webmail, would I ever use an online version?  I’m assuming it  would be a painful process to use an online version of, say, word, if it works at all with JAWS.

Thanks for thoughts.

Using Windows 10, JAWS 2021, Office 365.

Robin Van Lant

KeyCorp Public

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114