moderated getting Jaws on the desktop

Madison Martin

Hi all,
I went to my desktop and the Jaws shortcut doesn't seem to be on there. I went
into the search box and found Jaws, but when I pressed shift f10 to create a
shortcut I got 5 options:
Run as administrator
Open file location
Unpin from taskbar
Pin to start
Uninstall

Can someone please tell me, what other way (s) can I create a shortcut for Jaws
on my desktop? Even though you've all provided me with other ways to start Jaws,
I'd still like to check and see if my shortcut key is still set or not. Thanks
Madison

Arkadiusz Świętnicki

Click on "Open File Location" and create the shorctut from there.

Madison,

            You're already half way there.  As Arkadiusz has said you can Open File Location then select JAWS and do a Send to Desktop from the context menu.

            See also:  Adding Desktop Shortcuts Under Windows 10

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Arkadiusz Świętnicki

Stupid me. He can even copy the shortcut right from there and the effect
will be the same.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Madison Martin

Hi all,
I went to my desktop and the Jaws shortcut doesn't seem to be on there. I went
into the search box and found Jaws, but when I pressed shift f10 to create a
shortcut I got 5 options:
Run as administrator
Open file location
Unpin from taskbar
Pin to start
Uninstall

Can someone please tell me, what other way (s) can I create a shortcut for Jaws
on my desktop? Even though you've all provided me with other ways to start Jaws,
I'd still like to check and see if my shortcut key is still set or not. Thanks
Madison

Brian Zolo

Hey there, Madison, BZ here again, grin! There's another way to do this in
windows ten. 1. Hit windows key plus r which will bring up the run dialog.
2. Type shell:appsfolder and then press enter. This will bring up a list
of all your applications. Down arrow until you hear jaws and then hit your
applications key and go down until you hear create shortcut and then press
enter. You'll get a message that will say something like do you want
windows to create a shortcut anyway and then press enter. I'm doing the
message off the top of my head so that's not the verbatim message you'll
hear but this method will create the jaws item on your desktop. If you're
not comfortable doing this and you need assistance, just let me know and
I'll be happy to help you. BZ!

I went to my desktop and the Jaws shortcut doesn't seem to be on there. I
went into the search box and found Jaws, but when I pressed shift f10 to
create a shortcut I got 5 options:
Run as administrator
Open file location
Unpin from taskbar
Pin to start
Uninstall

Can someone please tell me, what other way (s) can I create a shortcut for
Jaws on my desktop? Even though you've all provided me with other ways to
start Jaws, I'd still like to check and see if my shortcut key is still set
or not. Thanks
Madison

https://www.avg.com

Chris Hill

If it isn't on the desktop, the shortcut key likely won't work. To create the shortcut do the following.

hit windows+r and type shell:appsfolder and press enter

Now, find your version of jaws, hit the applications key and choose create shortcut.  windows will complain and ask if you would like to put the shortcut on the desktop instead.  Do that and you're done.  You can right click on your new shortcut and choose properties, in there you will find where to put the shortcut key.  When you're in the edit box, hit the key combination you want and then tab to okay.

Hope this helps.

CH

On 11/15/2020 12:54, Madison Martin wrote:
Hi all,
I went to my desktop and the Jaws shortcut doesn't seem to be on there. I went
into the search box and found Jaws, but when I pressed shift f10 to create a
shortcut I got 5 options:
Run as administrator
Open file location
Unpin from taskbar
Pin to start
Uninstall

Can someone please tell me, what other way (s) can I create a shortcut for Jaws
on my desktop? Even though you've all provided me with other ways to start Jaws,
I'd still like to check and see if my shortcut key is still set or not. Thanks
Madison

Andrew Summers

Do what you did, but Open file location find your JAWS and copy the file to
the clipboard.
Now go to your desktop and paste the file.

Andrew

I went to my desktop and the Jaws shortcut doesn't seem to be on there. I went
into the search box and found Jaws, but when I pressed shift f10 to create a
shortcut I got 5 options:
Run as administrator
Open file location
Unpin from taskbar
Pin to start
Uninstall

Can someone please tell me, what other way (s) can I create a shortcut for Jaws
on my desktop? Even though you've all provided me with other ways to start Jaws,
I'd still like to check and see if my shortcut key is still set or not. Thanks
Madison

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 02:32 PM, Madison Martin wrote:
That didn't work.
-
And it will not work.  That's not creating a shortcut, and copying your executable out of its folder and pasting it on the desktop, even if you did it, would result in a non-functional JAWS.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 02:14 PM, Chris Hill wrote:
hit windows+r and type shell:appsfolder and press enter . . .
-
And that absolutely does work, as far as getting the shortcut.  You may still have to open the shortcut file on the desktop and define a shortcut key sequence.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

And I'll repeat, as it includes all that's been discussed here, in one handy downloadable file:   Adding Desktop Shortcuts Under Windows 10

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

Go to file location right click on the JAWS file and choose send to and then
choose desktop shortcut.

I went to my desktop and the Jaws shortcut doesn't seem to be on there. I
went
into the search box and found Jaws, but when I pressed shift f10 to create a
shortcut I got 5 options:
Run as administrator
Open file location
Unpin from taskbar
Pin to start
Uninstall

Can someone please tell me, what other way (s) can I create a shortcut for
Jaws
on my desktop? Even though you've all provided me with other ways to start
Jaws,
I'd still like to check and see if my shortcut key is still set or not.
Thanks
Madison

Madison Martin

How do I do a right click? I don't use a mouse and the touch pad is turned off.

Go to file location right click on the JAWS file and choose send to and then
choose desktop shortcut.

I went to my desktop and the Jaws shortcut doesn't seem to be on there. I went
into the search box and found Jaws, but when I pressed shift f10 to create a
shortcut I got 5 options:
Run as administrator
Open file location
Unpin from taskbar
Pin to start
Uninstall

Can someone please tell me, what other way (s) can I create a shortcut for Jaws
on my desktop? Even though you've all provided me with other ways to start Jaws,
I'd still like to check and see if my shortcut key is still set or not.
Thanks
Madison

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 02:51 PM, Madison Martin wrote:
How do I do a right click?
-
Any time you see "right click" think, "bring up the context menu."   I can't say whether you prefer SHIFT+F10 or the Applications/Menu Key, if your keyboard has one.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Madison Martin

Jaws isn’t there.

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 02:14 PM, Chris Hill wrote:

hit windows+r and type shell:appsfolder and press enter . . .

-
And that absolutely does work, as far as getting the shortcut.  You may still have to open the shortcut file on the desktop and define a shortcut key sequence.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

context key is the same as right click.

[...]

Stupid question, but is the applications/menu key the same as the alt key?

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 02:51 PM, Madison Martin wrote:

How do I do a right click?

-
Any time you see "right click" think, "bring up the context menu."   I can't say whether you prefer SHIFT+F10 or the Applications/Menu Key, if your keyboard has one.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

no, the context key is to left of control key on right side on most keyboards. If you have a laptop with out the context key you can use shift F10.