Topics

Getting embedded links to work again in Outlook Express

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I am not sure if this is a Jaws issue, or something else, so I hope this
won't be considered to be too "off topic" for the list.

I currently use Outlook Express as my e-mail program on this Windows XP
laptop.

I used to be able to directly access embedded links in an e-mail, but seem
to have lost that capability recently.

I have gone into the Options under Outlook Express, and made sure the box
that says "read only in plain text" was un-checked.

This has not solved my problem.

Can anyone else tell me what to try either in Outlook Express, or maybe even
in Jaws to get embedded links to work again?

Thanks very much.

Tom Behler from Michigan

Mike & Barbara In Arcadia <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Tom,

Below are a few different notes I have saved regarding your issue.
From: "Alan Dicey" <adicey@...>
Hello Ron, and others,
The way I have always opened links is to position my curser on them.
Then do a JAWS Key F7
Tab once .
This "Moves to Link"
Tab again
This "activates" the link
then hit Enter
I have opened links like this since JAWS 3.3
Alan

From: "Justin Williams" <justin.williams2@...>

also, if you just do an insert f7, and press enter on the link, then itd
would also work.

From: "Victor" <victor.gouveia@...>

Hi Lenny and everyone else experiencing this problem.

Press insert+Z. Do it several times until Jaws states on for all
applications.

I don't know why this happens, but suffice it to say, this seems to happen
to me quite frequently.

Will have to write Jaws tech support about it.

Victor

From: "Rick Justice" <ricjustice@...>

Hi Victor,
It would be helpful to folks if you told what the keystroke does.
Jaws key + Z, toggles the virtual cursor on and off.
Rick Justice

From: "Lenny McHugh" <lmchugh@...>

Hi Rick,
That was also a question that I was going to ask. I don't know what it does
in the background but it does correct the problem. I just opened an email
with several links and none were identified as links. I used insert z three
times and the links in the email were identified. What an interesting
work-around.
Lenny

Hope at least 1 of these helped you. Take care.
Mike

I am not sure if this is a Jaws issue, or something else, so I hope this
won't be considered to be too "off topic" for the list.

I currently use Outlook Express as my e-mail program on this Windows XP
laptop.

I used to be able to directly access embedded links in an e-mail, but seem
to have lost that capability recently.

I have gone into the Options under Outlook Express, and made sure the box
that says "read only in plain text" was un-checked.

This has not solved my problem.

Can anyone else tell me what to try either in Outlook Express, or maybe
even
in Jaws to get embedded links to work again?

Thanks very much.

Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Mike:

Believe it or not, I tried all three of the suggestions you sent, and the
problem still persists.

Interestingly, when I do the two options involving the Jaws key plus f7, and
I'm in the body of the e-mail with my cursor positioned on the embedded
link, Jaws says "no links".

Tom Behler

Below are a few different notes I have saved regarding your issue.

From: "Justin Williams" <justin.williams2@...>

From: "Rick Justice" <ricjustice@...>

Hi Victor,
[...]

Adrian Spratt

Hi, Tom.

In addition to the suggestions Mike passed along, I find with Outlook (I
realize you're using OE) that moving the focus to the right of the "h" in
an http" link enables my XP system to click the link. Until a friend made
the suggestion off-list, I'd been unable to make email links work in
Outlook. Maybe it will also work in OE now.

I am not sure if this is a Jaws issue, or something else, so I hope this
won't be considered to be too "off topic" for the list.

I currently use Outlook Express as my e-mail program on this Windows XP
laptop.

I used to be able to directly access embedded links in an e-mail, but seem
to have lost that capability recently.

I have gone into the Options under Outlook Express, and made sure the box
that says "read only in plain text" was un-checked.

This has not solved my problem.

Can anyone else tell me what to try either in Outlook Express, or maybe even

in Jaws to get embedded links to work again?

Thanks very much.

Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Adrian:

I tried your suggestion, but still no luck.

I am wondering if some setting in Outlook Express is incorrect, but can't
figure out what that might be.

Will keep trying here, and I appreciate everyone's tolerance of this thread.

Hopefully, others who may be having the same problem will benefit from
whatever solutions arise.

Tom Behler

I am not sure if this is a Jaws issue, or something else, so I hope this
won't be considered to be too "off topic" for the list.

I currently use Outlook Express as my e-mail program on this Windows XP
laptop.

I used to be able to directly access embedded links in an e-mail, but seem
to have lost that capability recently.

I have gone into the Options under Outlook Express, and made sure the box
that says "read only in plain text" was un-checked.

This has not solved my problem.

Can anyone else tell me what to try either in Outlook Express, or maybe even

in Jaws to get embedded links to work again?

Thanks very much.

Tom Behler from Michigan

Mike & Barbara In Arcadia <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Tom,

Have you tried copying the link & pasting into your browser? I know you
shouldn't have to do this but, about 10% of the links I get in emails, that
is what I have to do. 1 other thing to check is, on the Security Page in
Tools / Options, tab to, Block images and other external content in HTML
e-mail, if this box is check, uncheck it & see if that helps. Take care.

From: "Justin Williams" <justin.williams2@...>

From: "Rick Justice" <ricjustice@...>

Hi Victor,
[...]

Stan Holdeman

Hi: I thought it has something to do with the set-up in the machine that
created the email. Links in my daughter's email never work. Most of the time
links in other emails work as they should.

Stan

I am not sure if this is a Jaws issue, or something else, so I hope this
won't be considered to be too "off topic" for the list.

I currently use Outlook Express as my e-mail program on this Windows XP
laptop.

I used to be able to directly access embedded links in an e-mail, but seem
to have lost that capability recently.

I have gone into the Options under Outlook Express, and made sure the box
that says "read only in plain text" was un-checked.

This has not solved my problem.

Can anyone else tell me what to try either in Outlook Express, or maybe even

in Jaws to get embedded links to work again?

Thanks very much.

Tom Behler from Michigan

Mike & Barbara In Arcadia <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Tom,

1 other thought. If you are getting messages in plain text, having HTML
checked in the Read tab of Toolls / Options won't change the format in which
you receive them. If I'm wrong someone please correct me. Take care.
Mike

I am not sure if this is a Jaws issue, or something else, so I hope this
won't be considered to be too "off topic" for the list.

I currently use Outlook Express as my e-mail program on this Windows XP
laptop.

I used to be able to directly access embedded links in an e-mail, but seem
to have lost that capability recently.

I have gone into the Options under Outlook Express, and made sure the box
that says "read only in plain text" was un-checked.

This has not solved my problem.

Can anyone else tell me what to try either in Outlook Express, or maybe
even

in Jaws to get embedded links to work again?

Thanks very much.

Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Mike:

Yes, I can get the links to work by copying them from the e-mail, and
pasting them into my browser, which is what I have been doing in all cases.

And, I did look at the security page, and the "block images and other
external content in HTML" box is unchecked.

Will keep at it here.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Tom Behler

From: "Justin Williams" <justin.williams2@...>

From: "Rick Justice" <ricjustice@...>

Hi Victor,
[...]

Sugar <sugarsyl71@...>

Hi Mike
yes that is correct, no matter, I have mine on HTML, and I use OE, and IE 7, with jaws 11 on a lap top..
think it is in the seetings for the OE not sure

'Real tears are not those that fall from your eyes and cover your face,
but that fall from your heart and cover your soul.'
~Be Blessed, Sugar

I am not sure if this is a Jaws issue, or something else, so I hope this
won't be considered to be too "off topic" for the list.

I currently use Outlook Express as my e-mail program on this Windows XP
laptop.

I used to be able to directly access embedded links in an e-mail, but seem
to have lost that capability recently.

I have gone into the Options under Outlook Express, and made sure the box
that says "read only in plain text" was un-checked.

This has not solved my problem.

Can anyone else tell me what to try either in Outlook Express, or maybe
even

in Jaws to get embedded links to work again?

Thanks very much.

Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Well, Stan, I don't know, but that's a possibility.

I'm not sure how to check into this, but will see what I can do as I
continue to work the problem from this end.

Tom Behler

I am not sure if this is a Jaws issue, or something else, so I hope this
won't be considered to be too "off topic" for the list.

I currently use Outlook Express as my e-mail program on this Windows XP
laptop.

I used to be able to directly access embedded links in an e-mail, but seem
to have lost that capability recently.

I have gone into the Options under Outlook Express, and made sure the box
that says "read only in plain text" was un-checked.

This has not solved my problem.

Can anyone else tell me what to try either in Outlook Express, or maybe even

in Jaws to get embedded links to work again?

Thanks very much.

Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Mike:

I already have the "read messages in plain text" box un-checked. Are you
saying I need to look at something else to be sure it is set correctly?

Tom Behler

I am not sure if this is a Jaws issue, or something else, so I hope this
won't be considered to be too "off topic" for the list.

I currently use Outlook Express as my e-mail program on this Windows XP
laptop.

I used to be able to directly access embedded links in an e-mail, but seem
to have lost that capability recently.

I have gone into the Options under Outlook Express, and made sure the box
that says "read only in plain text" was un-checked.

This has not solved my problem.

Can anyone else tell me what to try either in Outlook Express, or maybe
even

in Jaws to get embedded links to work again?

Thanks very much.

Tom Behler from Michigan

Mike & Barbara In Arcadia <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Tom,

A correction to my last post. I should have said; If you have the read in
plain text box unchecked, in Tools / Options / Read tab doesn't change the
format in which the person sending you an email has sent it. Take care.
Mike

I am not sure if this is a Jaws issue, or something else, so I hope this
won't be considered to be too "off topic" for the list.

I currently use Outlook Express as my e-mail program on this Windows XP
laptop.

I used to be able to directly access embedded links in an e-mail, but
seem
to have lost that capability recently.

I have gone into the Options under Outlook Express, and made sure the
box
that says "read only in plain text" was un-checked.

This has not solved my problem.

Can anyone else tell me what to try either in Outlook Express, or maybe
even

in Jaws to get embedded links to work again?

Thanks very much.

Tom Behler from Michigan

Adrian Spratt

No. I'm only speaking for Mike because I'm thinking along a parallel line.
Put it this way. Are you having problems accessing links in all your email
messages, or just some? If some, Mike's suggestion would point to one
explanation, which is that you're getting some messages produced in text
format. For my part, I'm wondering if the problem links are or are not
announced by JAWS as links.

I'm guessing the answer doesn't lie here because you began by saying links
used to work. So just covering all possibilities that come to mind.

[...]

Stan, if you're still following this thread, I have a thought about your
daughter's messages. At a time when I was sending links that didn't come out
as links, I solved it by adding a double return before the start of the link
and another double return after. She needs to make sure there are no extra
spaces or other characters, like periods that aren't part of the address.

[...]

Dan Kerstetter <dhk457@...>

Tom,

I'm curious as to whether or not you happen to have a second, perhaps older,
version of JAWS installed on your machine you could use to test your outlook
express? Apparently the version you're using doesn't see links. Also you
might try arrowing into the link name itself and pressing enter. If none of
that works, I would try a clean install of JAWS.

HTH

Dan

From: "Justin Williams" <justin.williams2@...>

From: "Rick Justice" <ricjustice@...>

Hi Victor,
[...]

Adrian and all:

I seem to be having trouble accessing links in all e-mails, not just some.

I'm sorry if I was not clear on that initially.

P.S. I'm currently traveling, and don't have consistent access to e-mail.
So if my e-mail responses are sporadic, please don't interpret this as a
lack of interest or appreciation to all who are trying to help me with this
issue.

Tom Behler

[...]

Dan:

I do have earlier versions of Jaws that I could install just to try.

I think that, before I do that, though, I may call FS when I get the chance
just to get their take on the situation.

I'll also keep monitoring the list for other suggestions people might have.

Tom Behler

From: "Justin Williams" <justin.williams2@...>

From: "Rick Justice" <ricjustice@...>

Hi Victor,