From: "Ann Byrne" <annakb@sbcglobal.net>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2021 11:37 AM
Subject: Get new mail in gmail?

My student's gmail account has received no mail since mid-April. Is
there a 'get mail' command? Is there a setting somewhere that might
have been changed and needs to be changed back?

Thanks

None that I'm aware of.  The only thing I can think of is if they accidentally turned on the Vacation Responder in General Settings and people have stopped sending anything.  But even if that were the case, I'd expect that something would have arrived from somewhere.

           ~ André Gide

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 12:43 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
Typically every six months gMail will turn off the ability to use eMail
clients that are not one of their products, they call anything else to be
unsecure eMail clients.
-
This has not been true for several years now if one is not using an unsecure email client.  Anything that required you to go through the Google OAUTH process when initially setting up the account under the email client is secure.  Outlook, Thunderbird, eM Client, and the Windows 10 Mail App are all secure clients that follow this protocol.

If, however, they're still using something like Windows Live Mail, or ignored certain security alert messages from Google, they need to check in their Google Account under the Security Tab to see what it says with regard to attempts to access Gmail and whether Less Secure Apps are enabled.

If they're using an out-of-support email client they really need to update to one that's in support.

By the way, have they checked the webmail interface to see what may have come in?  That will tell you whether mail's still arriving on the Gmail server for that account.

           ~ André Gide

Ann Byrne

I did check the web interface. Nothing since 4/17.

At 11:53 AM 5/14/2021, you wrote:
On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 12:43 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
Typically every six months gMail will turn off the ability to use eMail clients that are not one of their products, they call anything else to be unsecure eMail clients.

-This has not been true for several years now if one is not using an unsecure email client. Anything that required you to go through the Google OAUTH process when initially setting up the account under the email client is secure. Outlook, Thunderbird, eM Client, and the Windows 10 Mail App are all secure clients that follow this protocol.If, however, they're still using something like Windows Live Mail, or ignored certain security alert messages from Google, they need to check in their<https://myaccount.google.com/security> Google Account under the Security Tab to see what it says with regard to attempts to access Gmail and whether Less Secure Apps are enabled.If they're using an out-of-support email client they really need to update to one that's in support.By the way, have they checked the webmail interface to see what may have come in? That will tell you whether mail's still arriving on the Gmail server for that account. --

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042 Â

          ~ André Gide

If the web interface is showing nothing since 4/17, then there's nothing since 4/17, and definitely nothing an e-mail client could pick up for download.

If the owner is virtually certain that this simply cannot be (and I have to believe it cannot be under any typical circumstances), then contacting Google tech support is the only option I can suggest.  And if they're blind, go the disability route, as it's easier to get a human being:

Google Accessibility Get In Touch Page

Contact the Google Disability Support Team

           ~ André Gide

Glenn / Lenny

You could send something to the address and then check the web interface.
Glenn

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 03:27 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
You could send something to the address and then check the web interface.
-
Excellent suggestion.  And precisely what I would have done moments after logging in to that account and seeing nothing.

Email messages very seldom literally disappear into the ether.  If Gmail is not accepting them for a given account some sort of bounce message should come back.  If it doesn't, and the message never does show up, it's something Google should be informed of.

           ~ André Gide

Ann Byrne

She is receiving gmail on her phone, just not on the computer. Are there filters that could be holding the new mail?

At 02:27 PM 5/14/2021, you wrote:

You could send something to the address and then check the web interface.
Glenn
If the web interface is showing nothing since 4/17, then there's nothing since 4/17, and definitely nothing an e-mail client could pick up for download.

If the owner is virtually certain that this simply cannot be (and I have to believe it cannot be under any typical circumstances), then contacting Google tech support is the only option I can suggest. And if they're blind, go the disability route, as it's easier to get a human being:

<https://www.google.com/accessibility/get-in-touch/>Google Accessibility Get In Touch Page

<https://support.google.com/accessibility/answer/7641084?visit_id=637220373530564687-4114290317&rd=1#disability-support>Contact the Google Disability Support Team

~ André Gide

Mike B

If I'm not understanding this thread correctly please forgive me, but if she doesn't have the setting, leave a copy on the server, turned on or set then once a message goes to her phone there isn't a copy left on the server to be retrieved by her computers email client.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

At 02:27 PM 5/14/2021, you wrote:

>You could send something to the address and then check the web interface.
>Glenn

Mike,

          We're thinking along the same lines.  I suspect something has gone horribly wrong on the computer side.  Gmail on phones uses IMAP by default, and it could be someone switched to POP, but unlikely.

            If the phone is still using IMAP, I'd just nuke the account out of the email client and then set it up again anew, using IMAP.  All the messages will still be there, including the ones that have not, as yet, made an appearance on the computer side.

           ~ André Gide