Topics

moderated FW: Jaws 2021 and emoji panel

Richard Turner

Again, when I read the message in the sent folder, it reads the emoji just fine.

But not while composing.

Very odd.

Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2020 11:10 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: RE: Jaws 2021 and emoji panel

Thanks Joseph,

Very interesting.

I tried SAPI 5 and Eloquence and they read the emoji just fine.

I went back to my default of Tom enhanced from Vocalizer and it read it when I re-read a sent message.

Then, I just added one here and it just says 12.

🍸

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2020 10:59 AM
Subject: Re: Jaws 2021 and emoji panel

Hi,

This is a synthesizer issue, and unless JAWS is told to process certain Unicode symbols directly and send them to synths, it won’t be able to read emojis and some Unicode symbols correctly.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2020 6:37 AM
Subject: Jaws 2021 and emoji panel

I find I have to use Narrator to arrow through the emoji panel, and after picking one, Narrator reads the emoji just fine.

Jaws 2021 reads a number.

I sent a note to a friend who has a great job at a place where it is not uncommon for the office to go out for a drink at 3 PM to end the day.  So I used the whiskey glass emoji.  Narrator reads it accurately.  Jaws 2021 says “twelve.”

Any thoughts about how Jaws can be made to speak the emoji?

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert