Topics

moderated FW: is there a way to delete messages with the same subject all at once?

Jim Rawls

From: jazzpiano@... <jazzpiano@...>
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2020 1:36 PM
To: blindtech@groups.io
Subject: is there a way to delete messages with the same subject all at once?

Hi all, I am using outlook 2019, and many times I see a message that I'm uninterested in, and it has several responses to the original post. Can I delete these messages all at once to take them out of the in box? I am running jaws 21 beta on a windows ten machine.                    Jim

Cohn, Jonathan

Current versions of Outlook usually have a "ignore function that will delete the conversation and move replies to that conversation to some place other than the Inbox. I don't remember if Ignore /mute functionality in Outlook is configurable (Sorry too many mail clients). But for me it shows up as the first item in the home ribbon when reading a message.

And the straight delete function will delete all existing messages in a conversation if the "parent/root" message is selected, whether the conversation is expanded or not.

When I select a root message in a conversation, and hit delete, I get a dialog box that says, "Delete applies to all items in this folder that are part of the conversation," with a checkbox for "Don't show this message again," and Delete selected messages and Cancel buttons.

This presumes, of course, that conversation view is in use.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Justin Williams

Isn't there a keystroke for it also?

I think I remember osemthing like that.

Justin

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 09:25 PM, Justin Williams wrote:
Isn't there a keystroke for it also?
-
That would be the delete key.  As soon as you hit it the dialog box I mention appears.

As per usual, Windows gives you multiple ways to achieve the same end.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Justin Williams

Oh, so I must have done that accidently, then.

Justin

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 09:42 PM, Justin Williams wrote:
Oh, so I must have done that accidently, then.
-
That's entirely possible, particularly if you, at any point in time, checked that checkbox to not show the Delete confirm dialog box again.

This is one reason I encourage people to think long and hard before disabling this sort of thing.  Sometimes, it's just fine, but at others it allows you to accidentally trigger something with a single key press and never know that you've triggered it.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss