Topics

function keys are misbehaving

Stan Holdeman

Listers: I am running J 2020 latest update and windows 10.

Starting this morning my function keys are stuttering and repeating and generally not functioning as they should.

I closed and restarted Jaws and shut down and restarted the computer. The problem persists.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Stan

Chris Hill

Keyboard failing?  If a desktop, try a different one, if a laptop, may be worth plugging in an external to test.

On 9/25/2020 09:19, Stan Holdeman wrote:

Starting this morning my function keys are stuttering and repeating and generally not functioning as they should.

I closed and restarted Jaws and shut down and restarted the computer. The problem persists.

Stan

Richard Turner

Laptop or desktop?

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Stan Holdeman
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2020 7:20 AM
To: JFW list (main@jfw.groups.io) <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: function keys are misbehaving

Stan

Stan Holdeman

Computer is HP laptop. Key board is a Magic big print plugged inth computer hub. Keyboard has some years on it.

Stan

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2020 11:00 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: function keys are misbehaving

Laptop or desktop?

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

Stan

Then try another external keyboard that's known to be good, and you'll have your answer.   My guess is that you're experiencing keyboard failure which, while it takes a lot longer to occur with conventional keyboards than laptop built-in keyboards, can and does occur.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Stan Holdeman

I think you are right that the external keyboard is failing. When I reach over and use the function keys on the laptop, they work fine.

Thanks for your help.

Stan

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2020 1:30 PM

Then try another external keyboard that's known to be good, and you'll have your answer.   My guess is that you're experiencing keyboard failure which, while it takes a lot longer to occur with conventional keyboards than laptop built-in keyboards, can and does occur.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Dave Durber

Stan:

If you are having problems using the function keys with the external keys, have you tried using the function keys using the laptop's keyboard?

Dave

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2020 6:19 PM

Computer is HP laptop. Key board is a Magic big print plugged inth computer hub. Keyboard has some years on it.

Stan

Laptop or desktop?

Richard

Stan

Stan Holdeman

Yes, and as I said earlier (or thought I did) the function keys on the laptop work good. Must be an external keyboard problem.

Stan

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Durber
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2020 6:46 PM

Stan:

If you are having problems using the function keys with the external keys, have you tried using the function keys using the laptop's keyboard?

Dave

Stan

Laptop or desktop?

Richard

Stan

Dave Durber

Stan:

When I replied to your message, I had not yet reached your message, stating that the laptop function keys work correctly.

Dave

Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2020 1:04 AM

Yes, and as I said earlier (or thought I did) the function keys on the laptop work good. Must be an external keyboard problem.

Stan

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Durber
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2020 6:46 PM

Stan:

Dave

Stan

Laptop or desktop?

Richard

Stan