Topics

function keys are misbehaving

Stan Holdeman

Listers: I am running J 2020 latest update and windows 10.

Starting this morning my function keys are stuttering and repeating and generally not functioning as they should.

I closed and restarted Jaws and shut down and restarted the computer. The problem persists.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Stan

Chris Hill

Keyboard failing?  If a desktop, try a different one, if a laptop, may be worth plugging in an external to test.

On 9/25/2020 09:19, Stan Holdeman wrote:

Listers: I am running J 2020 latest update and windows 10.

Starting this morning my function keys are stuttering and repeating and generally not functioning as they should.

I closed and restarted Jaws and shut down and restarted the computer. The problem persists.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Stan

Richard Turner

Laptop or desktop?

Richard

Listers: I am running J 2020 latest update and windows 10.

Starting this morning my function keys are stuttering and repeating and generally not functioning as they should.

I closed and restarted Jaws and shut down and restarted the computer. The problem persists.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Stan

Stan Holdeman

Computer is HP laptop. Key board is a Magic big print plugged inth computer hub. Keyboard has some years on it.

Stan

Listers: I am running J 2020 latest update and windows 10.

Starting this morning my function keys are stuttering and repeating and generally not functioning as they should.

I closed and restarted Jaws and shut down and restarted the computer. The problem persists.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Stan

Then try another external keyboard that's known to be good, and you'll have your answer.   My guess is that you're experiencing keyboard failure which, while it takes a lot longer to occur with conventional keyboards than laptop built-in keyboards, can and does occur.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Stan Holdeman

I think you are right that the external keyboard is failing. When I reach over and use the function keys on the laptop, they work fine.

Thanks for your help.

Stan

Then try another external keyboard that's known to be good, and you'll have your answer.   My guess is that you're experiencing keyboard failure which, while it takes a lot longer to occur with conventional keyboards than laptop built-in keyboards, can and does occur.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Dave Durber

Stan:

If you are having problems using the function keys with the external keys, have you tried using the function keys using the laptop's keyboard?

Dave

Computer is HP laptop. Key board is a Magic big print plugged inth computer hub. Keyboard has some years on it.

Stan

Listers: I am running J 2020 latest update and windows 10.

Starting this morning my function keys are stuttering and repeating and generally not functioning as they should.

I closed and restarted Jaws and shut down and restarted the computer. The problem persists.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Stan

Stan Holdeman

Yes, and as I said earlier (or thought I did) the function keys on the laptop work good. Must be an external keyboard problem.

Stan

If you are having problems using the function keys with the external keys, have you tried using the function keys using the laptop's keyboard?

Dave

Computer is HP laptop. Key board is a Magic big print plugged inth computer hub. Keyboard has some years on it.

Stan

Listers: I am running J 2020 latest update and windows 10.

Starting this morning my function keys are stuttering and repeating and generally not functioning as they should.

I closed and restarted Jaws and shut down and restarted the computer. The problem persists.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Stan

Dave Durber

Stan:

When I replied to your message, I had not yet reached your message, stating that the laptop function keys work correctly.

Dave