Topics

moderated From Freedom Scientific: Freedom Scientific is extending the Free Home-Use Software For Those Affected by COVID-19

David Goldfield

Freedom Scientific is extending the Free Home-Use Software Until August 31, 2020.

Extended Free Home-Use Software For Those Affected by COVID-19

First and foremost, we hope that you and your family are safe and well.

Thank you for taking advantage of the free home access of JAWS, Fusion and ZoomText. Our goal is simply to help you remain accessible as you work and study remotely. Due to Covid-19, and the impact to our customers, during Summer Schools sessions especially, we have decided to extend the expiration date on the Free June 30th software licenses to August 31, 2020. Your license will automatically be extended so there is nothing extra for you to do.

As many people have requested to continue using the product past the August 31st expiration, we are offering a 20% discount to anyone in the United States to extend their Home Annual License if you purchase your renewal before July 31st. All you need to do to take advantage of this offer is to go into the software portal prior to July 31st and choose the Renewal Option and select 1, 3, or 5 years for the Home Annual license of that product and the renewal time will begin after the August 31st date.

Patrick Murphy

Why that’s just great!!!

Why not make the rest of us unequal to those in the u.s. by not allowing anyone in Ireland for example, take advantage of the same thing.

This, to me, is discrimination.

Thanks for nothing!!!

pat

[...]

Vispero, 17757 US Highway 19 N, Suite 560, Clearwater, FL 33764, 800-444-4443

Patrick,

Such offers exist in some countries and not others all the time. I remember a time when here in Canada you had barely any access to online music streaming services such as Spotify or TV streaming services such as Netflix. They were all available in the US but not Canada just because they had not yet set it up and dealt with all the legalities involved. The same applied to Amazon, a Canadian version of Audible has only been around for 2 or so years and to this day there is no option in Canada to set up a family account where I can add, for example, my wife as a family member so she can use her Amazon account but take advantage of the Prime subscription I have. You could just as well call that discrimination, but I see little point in that because I'm sure sooner or later Amazon will have that option available.

The subscription model of Jaws is to my knowledge only available in the US right now because in other countries Jaws licenses are handled by Vispero partners and distributors so there is probably a little more involved in setting this up in every single market where Jaws is available than you think. I have a feeling Jaws would probably like everybody to be on this model whether it's free for a while as it is now or not.

Best regards,

Sieghard

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 03:58 AM, Patrick Murphy wrote:
This, to me, is discrimination.

This is, to me, inanity.   There are all sorts of laws in place in various jurisdictions about what may, or may not, be offered.

Even if there weren't, no company is required to do anything like Vispero is doing with this free offer.  It's up to them who the offer it to.  But they're far from the only company to offer something in certain markets and not others because of the legal (or other) gyrations.

You really need to understand that discrimination among, when circumstances are quite different and warrant different treatment, and discrimination against are not the same thing.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

By the way, for anyone who signed up for and is using the temporary license that was set to expire on June 30, 2020, the extension to August occurs automatically.  There is nothing that the end user has to do to request that extension.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Vaughan Dodd

HI Pat and list.

Generally, Freedom Scientific or its latest incarnation treats international customers poorly.

I am not affected by this extension, as I have Professional, but it seems that Freedom Scientific service provision in my part of the World, (New Zealand) has suffered by recent events.

It would be nice if Vispero actually took its international customers seriously rather than putting all of the responsibility on small dealerships who are struggling.

Sigh!

Vaughan.

Vaughan Dodd

Vdodd001@...

+6421 784 856.

[...]

Richard Turner

I am by no means a defender of Freedom Scientific, but there are business and licensing issues when dealing in a foreign country that make it very difficult for businesses to operate the same way as in the United States.

So, start lobbying with your government to get things changed.

A lot of companies have to deal with vendors in other countries rather than selling directly to individuals.

I don’t pretend to understand the ins and outs of international sales, so I should shut up now.

Richard

[...]

Madison Martin

So since I live in Canada I assume that I can’t take advantage of this either right?

[...]

Then Freedom Scientific should not charge for products, services and accessories which it claims it cannot provide.

Vaughan.

Vaughan Dodd

Vdodd001@...

+6421 784 856.

[...]

Tyler Wood

I live in Canada too and assuming this would be the case.

I used to deal with Richard from Frontier computing back in the day. It was great – prompt responses, great customer service, very honest and up front.

These days it’s a dealer in Quebec that, not only have I never heard of, last time I bought an SMA, attempted to over charge me before I called them out, took 6 days to call back, and, though they took my money immediately, took a week and a half to actually send me confirmation that yes, my SMA had, in fact, been approved and renewed.

It’s really a shame as customer service from first party (Vispero) Is absolutely great. Of course, I may be in the minority here. Your mileage may vary and things may have improved since here in Canada. I really hope this is the case.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 03:43 PM, Vaughan Dodd wrote:

A lot of companies have to deal with vendors in other countries rather than selling directly to individuals.

I don’t pretend to understand the ins and outs of international sales, so I should shut up now.

You understand the basics quite well.   And the contractual obligations with said international vendors may expressly forbid any offering of free service since they make their livings off of being second-party sellers of same.

Any sentient adult knows that interstate, let alone international, commerce is a complicated matter.

And, again, Vispero is not obligated to give anything away to anyone.  It's entirely up to them whether they do and to whom such offers apply.  That's how things work in capitalist enterprises.  They're not a charity.  (And this is coming from someone who thinks the amount that continues to be charged for JAWS is pretty extreme).

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Richard Turner

Actually Brian, That was Vaughn quoting part of a message I sent. His sentient response was:

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 05:04 PM, Richard Turner wrote:
Actually Brian, That was Vaughn quoting part of a message I sent. His sentient response was:
Then Freedom Scientific should not charge for products, services and accessories which it claims it cannot provide.

Richard, it was unclear and the attribution was as picked up by Groups.io, so I apologize to you.

And my "sentient" comment remains entirely appropriate for what Vaughn wrote.  He has posted several messages that reveal a gross lack of understanding of the basics of how both the free market and international commerce work.

No private entity has any obligation to provide you, any you, with anything beyond what you have paid for.  If they choose to do so, it should be considered a kindness, and it should be understood that those offers depend on an awful lot of things including laws and contracts.  Pretending otherwise is to be willfully foolish.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Richard Turner

Amen to that!

No apology necessary.

Richard

[...]

Adrian Spratt

Vaughan and the others writing from outside the U.S.,

I’m sorry this thread became so political. I’d just like you to know that many Americans have a much more sophisticated understanding of the questions you raise than you’ve read in this thread. If you haven’t already, you might alert Vispero to your concerns. They need to know you’ve noticed and that it troubles you.

All the best.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 06:10 PM, Adrian Spratt wrote:
I’d just like you to know that many Americans have a much more sophisticated understanding of the questions you raise than you’ve read in this thread.
Then, Mr.Spratt, take the time to elaborate that "more sophisticated understanding."

You really like to throw shade, but nothing that's been said here is not factual.  And people who cry "Discrimination!!" when there is not are not doing anyone any favors.  Nor are those who are demanding things that cannot be provided for a variety of reasons, or they likely would be.  The PR itself would be worth it if it were simple to do.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Cristóbal

Seriously… No good deed goes unpunished.
Vispero didn’t have to do the initial offer to begin with  or even extend  it to anyone at all.

On Jun 17, 2020, at 3:15 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 06:10 PM, Adrian Spratt wrote:
I’d just like you to know that many Americans have a much more sophisticated understanding of the questions you raise than you’ve read in this thread.
Then, Mr.Spratt, take the time to elaborate that "more sophisticated understanding."

You really like to throw shade, but nothing that's been said here is not factual.  And people who cry "Discrimination!!" when there is not are not doing anyone any favors.  Nor are those who are demanding things that cannot be provided for a variety of reasons, or they likely would be.  The PR itself would be worth it if it were simple to do.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Vaughan Dodd

A perfectly reasonable suggestion Adrian.

Thanks.

Vaughan.

Vaughan Dodd

Vdodd001@...

+6421 784 856.

[...]

Cristóbal,

No question, Vispero has done a good deed by making its software available for free to Americans and extending a 20% discount for subsequent purchases during this phase of the pandemic. But it makes sense for people who feel excluded from the offer to resent it.

Since this issue has aroused interest on this list and I've been urged to support my previous post, here goes.

As Brian wrote so emphatically, Vispero/freedom Scientific is not a charity. It follows that they didn't give away temporary free use of their software for purely altruistic reasons. Presumably, they hope to attract new customers, and they hope to retain those customers by offering a 20% discount once the "free" offer expires. But it's this relationship between a seller and its customers that makes demands by excluded customers completely reasonable even—actually, above all—in what Brian insists is a capitalist model. Customers have every right to ask to be included. I'm not sure why anyone would lash out at them.

The word "capitalism" comes from "capital." As Adam Smith, considered the father of capitalism explained, family businesses had been unable to grow from generation to generation. It was only when they gained access to third-party financing that they could expand, hire people outside the family and thus improve quality of life for society in general. At least, that was the theory, and it makes sense so long as government provided a safety net for those unable to participate fully in the capitalist model. Smith understood and advocated this role of government. It's the part of his capitalist model that notoriously got overlooked for a very long time.

Vispero and similar accessibility businesses would not exist were it not for the Americans with Disabilities Act. Through the ADA, Congress put the law and governmental resources behind the movement to enable disabled people to participate fully in society. To this end, government combined with businesses to advance a social objective along Smith's capitalist lines.

Nations around the world have adopted laws similar to our ADA. Since Vispero says it operates in ninety countries, we would expect its policies to be consistent, the way they are here in the U.S. While Vispero is not a charity, it is participating in a broad social movement backed by the law and government policy.

But even if you don't accept a reciprocal relationship between a business's mission and social policies, I go back to my original point. What is wrong with a Vispero customer in New Zealand, Canada or elsewhere speaking up for treatment similar to what Vispero provides Americans? Like any business, Vispero ultimately depends on the goodwill of its customers. Think of all the companies around the world currently issuing statements in support of Black Lives Matter and, to take a specific instance, Quaker Foods elimination of the Aunt Jemimah brand because of its racist connotations. You don't have to agree with these actions to see how social movements affect customer relations.

I didn't understand the harsh rejection of posts from non-Americans urging similar treatment by Vispero in their countries. Their posts made perfect sense from both business and philosophical points of view. That's why I felt compelled to post.

[...]

Well said Adrian!!!

I understand, to some degree, that there are various laws and such things in other countries that may cause companies to change their sales models.

However, I do not pretend to understand in great detail.

I am sure, that a good many of you out there, have a much better understanding of this type of thing, as you may have more exposure to it through your businesses etc.

Take for example Netflix. They have different content in different parts of the world. However, this is due to copyright problems.

Freedom scientific owns jaws. There is no copyright issue here that I can see.

How they choose to sell it is their prerogative.

As I understand it, there should be no problem using the same licencing model in the u.s. as anywhere else.

Maybe this is not the case though.

However, the aim of any company is to attract new customers. Given the problems with jaws2020, and there would seem to be a good few, given the various messages on this forum, they should be doing everything they can to attract/keep their customers.

Add to that, the expense of upgrading/buying the product, as I have said before.

Lack of testing also is an issue. We have seen problems with basic windows apps in windows 10.

I have used the example of Netflix before. Huge company, no testing.

Also, I have seen recent posts on this forum about facebook. Again, lack of testing.

Before someone jumps all over me, I realize, that not everything can be tested with jaws.

However, large apps that are out there should be, if you want to sell a quality product.

I also realize, that things such as facebook and Netflix can change their layout, which can lead to accessibility problems.

However, if you are releasing several updates a year, why not keep an eye on the big companies?

Surely, Netflix and facebook for example would love to say that they were completely accessible?

However, that would mean freedom scientific having to work directly with those companies.

They cannot even get it right with windows 10 for god sake.

Personally, I have been in touch with Netflix in Ireland, and was told, that they would love to work with companies in relation to accessibility, but they had received no such offers. Obviously, I cannot say that this is completely true.

Given that freedom scientific are the market leader, there is a lot of wind blowing about from them, but very little substance when it comes to improvement.

In Ireland, I cannot get support directly from them. I have to go through sight and sound in the u.k.

Nine times out of ten, they don’t know what they are looking at in terms of problems.

In fact, when I had the authorization problem with 2020, it was one of you good people that were able to explain it to me.

Sight and sound hadn’t a clue!!!

Freedom scientific really need to look at what they are producing, and where exactly they think their customer base is going to be in the future.

Greed and disregard for your customers will come back to bite you eventually.

To anyone reading this, I am extremely sorry for the ranting!!!

Its just, that I have had enough of this type of thing. I pay a fortune for upgrades, only to suffer from authorization problems, crashes etc, and can get no help other than from you helpful and kindly people.

So much so, that shortly, I will probably abandon jaws in favour of nvda. This is open source, costs nothing, and the suggestions given by its users are actually taken seriously.

Kind regards,

pat

Sen