Od: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> W imieniu David Goldfield
Wysłano: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 11:51 AM
Do: main@jfw.groups.io
Temat: Friday Night Tech Workshop: JAWS, Just Because. Providing Help for
JAWS-specific Questions. March 20, 8:00 PM, Eastern Time

The Covid-19 pandemic has forced many of us to spend more time at home. Some
of us are now working from home. Some of us may be staying home to stay
safe. Others may be at home in order to self-isolate or quarantine. Even
before all of this began there have been many opportunities for online
training using meeting platforms such as Zoom. Now that more of us are
forced to stay in our homes the opportunities for remote training and
assistance will likely increase.

A couple of weeks ago I attended my first Ibug
<https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ibugtoday.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb082631755174c68119208d7cb282cd7%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637201245717698466&sdata=hEfEFkOgnDSm42Zw9%2FuKSAtwRGl9uCIAVGkIyuRm%2Bs8%3D&reserved=0>
conference where participants are encouraged to ask questions and to
provide support for one another with their iOS devices. I really liked the
format of the conference but I wanted to see a similar opportunity covering
topics from a Windows perspective.

I decided that I’d like to host such a conference and this will likely be
the first in a series of free, online tech workshops, assuming there is
enough interest in such a project.

The first of these workshops is titled, “JAWS, Just Because” and is
scheduled for Friday, March 20 at 8:00 PM Eastern time. This conference will
allow users of the JAWS screen reader to both ask questions as well as to
provide answers to those who use the JAWS screen reader. No question is too
basic or too esoteric and it should be stressed that there is no such thing
as a stupid question.

For this conference I’m looking for two types of participants. First, anyone
with a question regarding JAWS is, of course, welcome. Second, I’m hoping
that those who are knowledgeable in the use of JAWS will also consider
participating to share knowledge. Due to time constraints we won’t have time
to provide lengthy support or to tandem into a user’s machine. Questions
which require this type of intervention would best be addressed by Vispero’s
technical support.

In order to keep the conference running smoothly I am going to adopt a
similar policy which has been successfully used by iBug. Users who wish to
ask a question or to provide a response should say their name, as in, “This
is John.” At that point please wait to be acknowledged by the host, as in,
“Go ahead, John.”

I have some other ideas for similar workshops but would like to hear some of
yours so that I can determine the needs that you have as well as the level
of interest. With many of us working from home are there specific
applications or programs that you might want some assistance with? Programs
that come to mind are Slack, Teams, etc. Would there be interest in similar
workshops for NVDA users?

I would also like to invite other assistive technology trainers to write to
me privately if you’re interested in assisting with any of these workshops.
Many of you may have some ideas which I haven’t thought of and you surely
have expertise with topics which I do not. I am unable to provide any type
of compensation for any assistance you may choose to provide but the point
of these workshops is to provide free assistance to those who may be
spending more time at home doing work or completing other tasks. This can be
a stressful time for many of us. Many kind and patient people assisted me
when I was first learning about assistive technology and I just want to pay
it forward and give something back to the blindness community, particularly
during this time when the need for some tech help may be even greater

Here is the relevant information about the upcoming conference.

Topic: JAWS, Just Because

Join our Zoom Meeting via the following link.

https://zoom.us/j/3565857579
<https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fzoom.us%2Fj%2F3565857579&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb082631755174c68119208d7cb282cd7%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637201245717708471&sdata=MZV0RU6mfUxXQxgeCI1imqKEWc0pGb9V3kABFj%2BA0ck%3D&reserved=0>

Meeting ID: 356 585 7579

One tap mobile

+19294362866,,3565857579# US (New York)

+13126266799,,3565857579# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location

929 436 2866 US (New York)

+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

+1 301 715 8592 US

+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

+1 253 215 8782 US

Meeting ID: 356 585 7579

Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/alWW1tLpC
<https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fzoom.us%2Fu%2FalWW1tLpC&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb082631755174c68119208d7cb282cd7%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637201245717718476&sdata=4%2BBHx8EZuHU5Ncl9CTc9PRmKzOi0yqGCVYdlv67AOsE%3D&reserved=0>

Jessica D

Hi,
I would too!
Thanks,
Jessica

On Mar 18, 2020, at 8:28 AM, Michael Mote <miketmote73@...> wrote:

Can you send me the meeting info? I would love to participate as well?
This is a good idea.

On 3/18/20, Arkadiusz Świętnicki <nuno69a@...> wrote:
I am going to join in order to listen to it, possibly answer someone and
maybe ask something? I’d be interested in learning MS Access with jFW, but
there are people with bigger needs…

[...]

Thabo Baseki

Hello! I will make time to attend as well. This is indeed a good initiative. Thank you!
Best

Thabo

JAWS certified-2020
http://www.freedomscientific.com/Services/TrainingAndCertification/Certification