Topics

moderated Free screen reader Spreadsheet Program

Morey Worthington

Morning all. Looking for a Jaws friendly SpreadSheet Program to download. I tried Open Office but cannot even figure out how to get it to load. Tried Google Sheets and Jaws will not work in it either. Any other suggestions?

Currently using a version of Office 2007, but Excel keeps shutting it off in the middle of work saying it is not being offered anymore and it wants me to try "X number of days" trial.

So any other help appreciated. I cannot afford new Office Version.  I have JART on this tcomputer but how the heck does a person even get past the first page???

Thanks

Morey Worthington

Richard Turner

I use and really like Excel, but a quick web search found this page of things you could try.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-spreadsheet-programs-1356337

Richard

Morning all. Looking for a Jaws friendly SpreadSheet Program to download. I tried Open Office but cannot even figure out how to get it to load. Tried Google Sheets and Jaws will not work in it either. Any other suggestions?

Currently using a version of Office 2007, but Excel keeps shutting it off in the middle of work saying it is not being offered anymore and it wants me to try "X number of days" trial.

So any other help appreciated. I cannot afford new Office Version.  I have JART on this tcomputer but how the heck does a person even get past the first page???

Thanks

Morey Worthington

Hi Morey,

I assume you are in the US? Can you afford $69.99 a year or $6.99 a month? If you can you could subscribe to Microsoft 365 Personal, formerly known as Office 365 Personal. This allows you to download the full Office suite to your computer including Excel, Word, Outlook, Power Point etc. In addition you also get 1 Tb of OneDrive cloud storage. You can buy this from the Microsoft Store at the following link:

Buy Microsoft 365 Personal- Microsoft Store

Best regards,

Sieghard

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 07:45 AM, Morey Worthington wrote:
I cannot afford new Office Version.
I didn't want Office 365 and still don't.  There exists a thriving, and entirely legal, grey market for software licenses that came about secondary to legal rulings in the EU.  Every license for Office 2016 I have (and I have 4 of my own, and 1 that was purchased for a friend's machine) were obtained via the grey market via eBay.  I believe that even Office 2019 licenses are appearing on the grey market now, though Office 2016 has a number of years of support still ahead of it.

On the Grey Market  (PDF on Google Drive), if you want to read more detailed information I've written on this topic.

As far as free alternatives, Open Office has become far more "rickety" than Libre Office.  The thing I recommend most often, but have not done any accessibility testing with, is SoftMaker Free Office.  The look and feel of the user interface, at least for those of us who can see, is as close to MS-Office as I've ever encountered, and far closer than Libre Office or Open Office ever have been.  It is perfectly capable of handling all of the standard MS-Office file formats and has the very nice feature of allowing you to set it such that it uses those by default when saving files itself.  It's up to someone here to play with it to determine accessibility, or the lack thereof.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Glenn / Lenny

I like Libra Office.
https://www.libreoffice.org/
Glenn

Morning all. Looking for a Jaws friendly SpreadSheet Program to
download. I tried Open Office but cannot even figure out how to get it
to load. Tried Google Sheets and Jaws will not work in it either. Any
other suggestions?

Currently using a version of Office 2007, but Excel keeps shutting it
off in the middle of work saying it is not being offered anymore and it
wants me to try "X number of days" trial.

So any other help appreciated. I cannot afford new Office Version. I
have JART on this tcomputer but how the heck does a person even get past
the first page???

Thanks

Morey Worthington

Chris Hill

Open office is pretty much a dead letter.  Try libre office.

On 6/2/2020 06:45, Morey Worthington wrote:
Morning all. Looking for a Jaws friendly SpreadSheet Program to download. I tried Open Office but cannot even figure out how to get it to load. Tried Google Sheets and Jaws will not work in it either. Any other suggestions?

Currently using a version of Office 2007, but Excel keeps shutting it off in the middle of work saying it is not being offered anymore and it wants me to try "X number of days" trial.

So any other help appreciated. I cannot afford new Office Version.  I have JART on this tcomputer but how the heck does a person even get past the first page???

Thanks

Morey Worthington

Morey Worthington

Thanks all for suggestions and input. Gave me some choices and hopeing one of them fits me just fine.

Thanks again.

Morey

On 6/2/2020 8:09 AM, Richard Turner wrote:
I use and really like Excel, but a quick web search found this page of things you could try.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-spreadsheet-programs-1356337

Richard

Morning all. Looking for a Jaws friendly SpreadSheet Program to download. I tried Open Office but cannot even figure out how to get it to load. Tried Google Sheets and Jaws will not work in it either. Any other suggestions?

Currently using a version of Office 2007, but Excel keeps shutting it off in the middle of work saying it is not being offered anymore and it wants me to try "X number of days" trial.

So any other help appreciated. I cannot afford new Office Version.  I have JART on this tcomputer but how the heck does a person even get past the first page???

Thanks

Morey Worthington

David Griffith

I am very surprised that you say Google Sheets is not accessible with Jaws.
I know FS have done Webinars on using Google Docs and sheets and there are loads of tutorials on using Google apps with screenreaders for example
https://www.perkinselearning.org/technology/posts/google-docs-and-sheets-screen-reader-resources

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 07:09 PM, David Griffith wrote:
I am very surprised that you say Google Sheets is not accessible with Jaws.
As am I.  Google has a number of glaring faults, but accessibility is not one of them.  In fact, on that count, they're an industry leader.

That being said, I do not prefer Google Docs as a replacement for the equivalent MS-Office (or other office suite) analogs.  And not for accessibility reasons, either.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Ann Byrne

You can buy an inexpensive Office 2019 from Kevin. nocm@...

At 09:24 AM 6/2/2020, you wrote:
Hi Morey,

I assume you are in the US? Can you afford $69.99 a year or $6.99 a month? If you can you could subscribe to Microsoft 365 Personal, formerly known as Office 365 Personal. This allows you to download the full Office suite to your computer including Excel, Word, Outlook, Power Point etc. In addition you also get 1 Tb of OneDrive cloud storage. You can buy this from the Microsoft Store at the following link:

<https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/p/microsoft-365-personal/cfq7ttc0k5bf?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab>Buy Microsoft 365 Personal- Microsoft Store

Best regards,
Sieghard