moderated Footnotes getting disrupted when image-based PDF converted into word, using ABBYY Fine Reader

Rahul Bajaj

Hi,

I use ABBYY Fine Reader 14, JAWS 2021. I often have to work with
inaccessible journal articles and the like. I OCR them, and the body
of the result remains fine, but the footnotes get disrupted. As in,
JAWS will say footnote 45, and then suddenly it will say footnote 250,
and then footnote 46. So there is no consistency and uniformity in how
footnotes are presented in the end product.

Is there a way to fix this, and why does this happen?

Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Judicial Law Clerk to Dr. Justice D.Y. Chandrachud, Supreme Court of India
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

That sounds like a Fine Reader setting, or performance issue.
Does Abby Fine Reader provide support?
When I did a lot scanning with OpenBook, things like that would happen depending on the layout, mostly with table of contents for me. I did not scan that much with footnotes.
Jaws is just reading what it is given.

Richard

"Living by answers is a form of death. It’s only questions that keep you living." -From, The Cross of Lead by Avi, chapter 24
"I've often been asked, 'What do you old folks do now that you're retired?'
Well ... I'm fortunate to have a chemical engineering background and one of the things I enjoy most is converting beer, wine and vodka into urine. I do it every day and I really enjoy it."  -- Author unknown