moderated Finding Documents

Tom Cramer

Hi,
I realize this may not directly be a JAWS question, but I hope someone
can help me.
I cannot remember how to find where something is actually saved on a computer.
I had two Word documents that got saved somewhere, but I can't find
them. I am able to find them by hitting the windows key and typing the
name in the edit box. But, it doesn't actually tell me the name of the
folder where it is saved. I looked in Documents and in the normal
places.
Does anyone know what I can do?
Thanks
Tom

Curtis Chong

Hello Tom:

After finding the document in the Start Menu, ensure you are focused on the document name and then press Shift F10. This brings up the context menu. From there, arrow down to Open File location. This will bring up File Explorer with your focus on the document but in the folder where the document resides. Then, to find out the folder name, press Alt D to focus in on the address bar where the full path of the document's folder is shown.

I trust this is useful.

All the best,

Curtis Chong

I realize this may not directly be a JAWS question, but I hope someone
can help me.
I cannot remember how to find where something is actually saved on a computer.
I had two Word documents that got saved somewhere, but I can't find
them. I am able to find them by hitting the windows key and typing the
name in the edit box. But, it doesn't actually tell me the name of the
folder where it is saved. I looked in Documents and in the normal
places.
Does anyone know what I can do?
Thanks
Tom

Personally, I hate Windows Search for this particular usage scenario, though I use it often for many others.

If you are someone who searches for files based upon filename, or even a part of the filename, and perhaps the extension, I cannot recommend the Everything Search tool by voidtools.com more highly.  It has a very light footprint, is accessible, and in its default "out of the box" configuration presents the folder path as one of the columns in search results it finds.

     ~ Lauren Bacall

JM Casey

Or, you could just check the file properties for location, though sometimes it won't show the whole path if it's a long one. You can do this fromt eh context menu of course, but I usually just hit alt-enter.
Also, try going to the drive where you know the file is, hitting f3, and searching from there instead of using the windows key. I don't seem to have the problems with Windows 10 search that brian and others do, though one time it stopped working completely and utterly -- that was a great time ... not ... considering how much I use search in Windows.

I realize this may not directly be a JAWS question, but I hope someone can help me.
I cannot remember how to find where something is actually saved on a computer.
I had two Word documents that got saved somewhere, but I can't find them. I am able to find them by hitting the windows key and typing the name in the edit box. But, it doesn't actually tell me the name of the folder where it is saved. I looked in Documents and in the normal places.
Does anyone know what I can do?
Thanks
Tom

I encourage everyone to install and use the Everything utility on their Windows computer and become familiar with a naming convention to spur your memory when trying to locate previously saved files. With Everything, you can get a list of files on your computer matching the characters being searched and when focus is placed on the filename, you can press Insert + PageUp to have the folder path in which it resides spoken by JAWS. You can find out more about Everything at this website:

https://www.voidtools.com/

Alan Lemly

On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 03:25 PM, JM Casey wrote:
I don't seem to have the problems with Windows 10 search that brian and others do
-
I don't "have problems" with it in the literal sense, it's just more cumbersome for getting the information I generally seek.

I'm old school, and almost always search for files based on file name (and that includes extension).  That is just so much faster with Everything, and the information I generally want most, the folder in which it lives, is part and parcel of what Everything presents.  It minimizes the steps I have to take.  And since Everything searches only on filename (by default, you can tweak it to include file contents, but I don't want that) it's just blazingly fast at finding files.

On those rare occasions where I need to search on file content, because I've forgoten the file name, I use Windows Search with the "docs:" operator and the quote enclosed phrase I'm hunting for.

It's a tool to task kinda thing.

     ~ Lauren Bacall

JM Casey

That’s how I search, too, though – by filename or extension. I don’t find it particularly slow, except on my oldest 2 tb external where it does take a bit, but that drive is over ten years old now and a little slow in general. On the SSSd’s especially it’s as fast as I, at least, could ever want.