Topics

moderated fillable pdf forms?

Jenni Kent

How are people filling out pdf files these days my computer tries to load edge that a disaster. Then I open the file with chrome and well no It won’t let me fill in the file that way either. Any ideas?

Jennifer Kent

iMessage: lightsrage@...

Skype: lightsrage

Whatsapp: Ask.

Telegram: ask

Twitter: lights_rage

Facebook: http://facebook.com/lights_rage

Jenni,

I hate to comment on fonts used by posters especially on a visually impaired list but since this issue was raised the other day in another thread, I'll point it out. The font in your message below appears to be some sort of italicized script font and if anyone is using sight to try and read it, I expect they are going to struggle.

Alan Lemly

How are people filling out pdf files these days my computer tries to load edge that a disaster. Then I open the file with chrome and well no It won’t let me fill in the file that way either. Any ideas?

Jennifer Kent

iMessage: lightsrage@...

Skype: lightsrage

Whatsapp: Ask.

Telegram: ask

Twitter: lights_rage

Facebook: http://facebook.com/lights_rage

Judy

I don’t think even sighted people can fill out pdf forms on the computer. They have to print them out and fill them in. Judy & Libby

How are people filling out pdf files these days my computer tries to load edge that a disaster. Then I open the file with chrome and well no It won’t let me fill in the file that way either. Any ideas?

Jennifer Kent

iMessage: lightsrage@...

Skype: lightsrage

Whatsapp: Ask.

Telegram: ask

Twitter: lights_rage

Facebook: http://facebook.com/lights_rage

Tom Behler

Jenni:

I’m sure there are going to be varying answers here, but here’s mine for starters.

I most often read PDF files with Adobe Acrobat DC.

In addition, I have had some success converting PDF files into Microsoft Word documents with Microsoft Word under Office 365.  The process gives me an editable Word document.  Of course, the conversion process sometimes messes with the formatting of the original document, so it is not perfect.

I’ll read further responses to this question with interest.

Tom Behler

How are people filling out pdf files these days my computer tries to load edge that a disaster. Then I open the file with chrome and well no It won’t let me fill in the file that way either. Any ideas?

Jennifer Kent

iMessage: lightsrage@...

Skype: lightsrage

Whatsapp: Ask.

Telegram: ask

Twitter: lights_rage

Facebook: http://facebook.com/lights_rage

Judy,

You are incorrect. Both the sighted and visually impaired can fill out properly designed PDF forms on the computer. The IRS uses many PDF forms that can be filled in just fine on one's computer.

Alan Lemly

I don’t think even sighted people can fill out pdf forms on the computer. They have to print them out and fill them in. Judy & Libby

How are people filling out pdf files these days my computer tries to load edge that a disaster. Then I open the file with chrome and well no It won’t let me fill in the file that way either. Any ideas?

Jennifer Kent

iMessage: lightsrage@...

Skype: lightsrage

Whatsapp: Ask.

Telegram: ask

Twitter: lights_rage

Facebook: http://facebook.com/lights_rage

John Covici

I have had somesuccess using Acrobat DC to fill out pdf forms. aIt
gvery much depends on how it was created.

[1 <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]

iMessage: lightsrage@... <mailto:lightsrage@...>

Skype: lightsrage

Whatsapp: Ask.

Telegram: ask

Twitter: lights_rage

Facebook: http://facebook.com/lights_rage

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 03:24 PM, Alan Lemly wrote:
Both the sighted and visually impaired can fill out properly designed PDF forms on the computer. The IRS uses many PDF forms that can be filled in just fine on one's computer.
Yep.

That being said, there are also two classes of fillable PDF forms:  those that allow you to save the forms with the material you've filled in (see: IRS forms), and those that do not allow you to do so, only to print the filled form and once you close it, the filled in material is discarded.

Which of the two you have is a design choice by the creator.  I also never recommend trying to convert a fillable PDF to MS-Word format, at least if you haven't already filled it out.  The conversion issues I've witnessed over the years (including this afternoon, but for a non-fillable PDF converted to MS-Word format) are myriad.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Mich Verrier

I have found forms that had edit fields that were in pdf but I used adobe and found no way of filling them in using the pc and jaws. From Mich.

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 06:34 PM, Mich Verrier wrote:
I have found forms that had edit fields that were in pdf but I used adobe and found no way of filling them in using the pc and jaws.
That also happens when JAWS is not involved when some idiot put fillable fields in a PDF and then did something to protect the whole form, including the fillable fields, from being modified.

Not everyone who designs these forms knows all the ins and outs of doing so.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Judy

Alan, I believe you and appreciate the correction, but I do know sighted people who have had to print out and then  write in themselves and information. I guess it depends upon the kind of pdf or how it’s set up. I personally can’t do anything with them as far as filling them in. Judy & Libby

You are incorrect. Both the sighted and visually impaired can fill out properly designed PDF forms on the computer The IRS uses many PDF forms that can be filled in just fine on one's computer.

Alan Lemly

I don’t think even sighted people can fill out pdf forms on the computer. They have to print them out and fill them in. Judy & Libby

How are people filling out pdf files these days my computer tries to load edge that a disaster Then I open the file with chrome and well no It won’t let me fill in the file that way either. Any ideas?

Jennifer Kent

iMessage: lightsrage@...

Skype: lightsrage

Whatsapp: Ask.

Telegram: ask

Twitter: lights_rage

Facebook: http://facebook.com/lights_rage

Judy,

Well, like most things that can be done in a variety of ways, adobe forms which can be fillable by anyone when done properly can be poorly done or messed up. When they are done properly, they can be filled in by all on a computer.

Alan

[...]

Randy Barnett

It is totally dependent on the author knowing and complying with accessibility guidelines. Unfortunately a lot of them don't. Even some of them from the government aren't very accessible.

On 5/4/2020 10:34 AM, Jenni Kent wrote:

How are people filling out pdf files these days my computer tries to load edge that a disaster. Then I open the file with chrome and well no It won’t let me fill in the file that way either. Any ideas?

Jennifer Kent

iMessage: lightsrage@...

Skype: lightsrage

Whatsapp: Ask.

Telegram: ask

Twitter: lights_rage

Facebook: http://facebook.com/lights_rage

Randy Barnett

Oh, forgot to mention I always use Adobe reader DC for pdf forms.

On 5/4/2020 10:34 AM, Jenni Kent wrote:

How are people filling out pdf files these days my computer tries to load edge that a disaster. Then I open the file with chrome and well no It won’t let me fill in the file that way either. Any ideas?

Jennifer Kent

iMessage: lightsrage@...

Skype: lightsrage

Whatsapp: Ask.

Telegram: ask

Twitter: lights_rage

Facebook: http://facebook.com/lights_rage

Justin Williams

Is it the paid version?  I've found that the version I have is hit or miss with pdfs.

Thanks,

Justin

Oh, forgot to mention I always use Adobe reader DC for pdf forms.

On 5/4/2020 10:34 AM, Jenni Kent wrote:

How are people filling out pdf files these days my computer tries to load edge that a disaster. Then I open the file with chrome and well no It won’t let me fill in the file that way either. Any ideas?

Jennifer Kent

iMessage: lightsrage@...

Skype: lightsrage

Whatsapp: Ask.

Telegram: ask

Twitter: lights_rage

Facebook: http://facebook.com/lights_rage

Randy Barnett

No, the free Adobe pdf reader. The paid version lets you create pdf's.

On 5/6/2020 11:01 PM, Justin Williams wrote:

Is it the paid version?  I've found that the version I have is hit or miss with pdfs.

Thanks,

Justin

Oh, forgot to mention I always use Adobe reader DC for pdf forms.

On 5/4/2020 10:34 AM, Jenni Kent wrote:

How are people filling out pdf files these days my computer tries to load edge that a disaster. Then I open the file with chrome and well no It won’t let me fill in the file that way either. Any ideas?

Jennifer Kent

iMessage: lightsrage@...

Skype: lightsrage

Whatsapp: Ask.

Telegram: ask

Twitter: lights_rage

Facebook: http://facebook.com/lights_rage

Tom Behler

But, for those of us who have Microsoft Word, can’t we create PDF’s with that?

I’ve never done this, but think it’s possible.

Tom Behler

Oh, forgot to mention I always use Adobe reader DC for pdf forms.

On 5/4/2020 10:34 AM, Jenni Kent wrote:

How are people filling out pdf files these days my computer tries to load edge that a disaster. Then I open the file with chrome and well no It won’t let me fill in the file that way either. Any ideas?

Jennifer Kent

iMessage: lightsrage@...

Skype: lightsrage

Whatsapp: Ask.

Telegram: ask

Twitter: lights_rage

Facebook: http://facebook.com/lights_rage

Jim Weiss

Tom,
Word does let you export or save your Word document in PDF format, this is true with many types of programs.  I am not sure if you could create a fillable PDF document this way, I am guessing that what Word is producing is more of an image rather than a true PDF.  I know from personal experience that I receive a monthly publication that is exported from Word as a PDF and I can read most of it, but the TOC and any tables are butchered by a screen reader.  Also, the screen reader often skips paragraphs and I have to go backwards to reread the skipped paragraph.
Jim Weiss

“How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong.  Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.” | George Washington Carver

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 05:07 PM, Tom Behler wrote:
But, for those of us who have Microsoft Word, can’t we create PDF’s with that?
You absolutely can save a document created in recent versions of Word as PDF.  But, Word is not particularly graceful about opening PDFs in Word as far as making tidy conversions, though you can do it.  I just had a client the other day who could not understand why PDFs that had been created via scanning (but did include OCR) would not open in Word looking exactly like they do on paper or in a PDF reader.  Word has to do a conversion from PDF to Word document format, as it presumes you're opening a PDF in Word because you want to edit it.  Sometimes that conversion isn't tidy.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Tom Behler

Jim:

These are good points.

I also don’t know if a fillable PDF document can be created by Word.

Would be interested in the experiences of others.

That’s how we learn.

Tom Behler