moderated file attributes

Jerry hathaway

When I use windows explorer or my documents folder and scroll down I am not hearing the file attributes of the file such as file type, date and time file was created. Can someone please tell me how to make it so I can see the file attributes.

Jerry

Bill White

Hi, Jerry. I suspect that this is because your folder types are set to the wrong type. Here are two ways to change the folder type.

Change Type Of Folder

1. Navigate to the folder, not the shortcut.

2. Press ALT plus ENTER for Properties.

3. Navigate to the Customize tab.

4. Select the type of folder you want. (if you want date modified, choose General or Documents).

5. TAB to Apply and press ENTER.

6. TAB to OK, and press ENTER.

Or:

1. Navigate to the folders just above the folders you want to change.

2. Deselect all folders with CONTROL plus SPACE.

3. Press Applications key, and Arrow down to Sort, and press ENTER.

4. Check whichever items you want checked.

5. Press “More” and do the same. There are over three hundred items.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jerry hathaway
Sent: Saturday, May 22, 2021 10:26 PM
To: JFW Listserve
Subject: file attributes

When I use windows explorer or my documents folder and scroll down I am not hearing the file attributes of the file such as file type, date and time file was created. Can someone please tell me how to make it so I can see the file attributes.

Jerry

Bill White

Hi, Jerry. If you check your folder type, and they are set to General or Documents, and you still don't hear the attributes, try the following,

1. Open the folder that doesn't display attributes.

2. Deselect everything in the folder by pressing CONTROL plus SPACE, until the screen reader says Not Selected.

3. Press and hold the shift key while you press the six key on the numbers row, just below the function keys, not the six key on the number pad.

4. This will change the way the folder is displayed to Details View.

5. If the folder view is not set to details, this can also be the reason attributes of files and subfolders are not spoken.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jerry hathaway
Sent: Saturday, May 22, 2021 10:26 PM
To: JFW Listserve
Subject: file attributes

Jerry

I'm with Bill White in that I have to believe that Details view has somehow been turned off for that folder.  I use Details view everywhere except my Photos library.

If you want all folders of the same type (General) to be displayed with Details view, after having ensured that the one you're in is currently in Details View per Bill's instructions, do the following:

1. Hit ALT+V,Y,O     View Tab/Ribbon, Options Control, Folder Options option
2. Navigate to the View Tab in the Folder Options Dialog that appears.  SHIFT+TAB, Right Arrow
3. Find the Apply to Folders button and activate it or hit CTRL+L
4. A dialog appears asking if you want all folders of the same type to have the same view as the folder you're in.  You will, of course, activate the Yes button.
5. You're back in the Folder Options dialog and can just activate the OK button to close it out.

I find this technique much easier than doing a piecemeal folder-by-folder approach over time.  I use it when setting up a brand new machine so that all my folders of the general type will all display with Details view.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.

~ André Gide

And I should have said General or Documents.  Essentially, anything that's not a specialty type folder containing something like Photos, Music, Video, or the like.

I just want everything not in "the specialty folders" to have Details view.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.

~ André Gide