From: Lori Lynn
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2022 12:51 PM
Subject: Re: Federal Employment and Accommodations

Brian,

Although that is a valid point, let me state a few facts as someone who use to provide reasonable accommodation to employees when I worked for the Social Security Administration.

You can’t make the assumption that all Federal Agencies work the same, or that they are just like any private company. SSA used several applications that were created internally. Before any adaptive software was installed and/or upgraded a lot of testing and internal scripts had to be written to allow everything to work smoothly. Sometimes these were easy, and software could be updated relatively quickly. Other times an agency could be behind the general public by two or three versions. Having helped with a lot of testing, trust me when I say you wouldn’t want the newest version if it didn’t work right and therefore allow you to work right.

Although in some situations it may be possible to have multiple assistive software types on a machine, we all need to understand that for many agencies who have their own proprietary software this isn’t practical or possible. At the same time most agencies will focus their testing and scripting on specific software. Due to budget restraints it isn’t possible to toss in another one.

There are a lot of great suggestions being tossed out here that are just not possible in a job like hers.

Lori Lynn