From: "David Pearson" <dshawnpearson@...>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2019 9:48 AM
Subject: Favorites redux

Hi again:

Using Windows7 with latest Jaws. Is theCntrl + "d" keyboard combo still the appropriate keys to press to place the (opened) website into my "Favorites folder, do these keys have to be pressed simultaneously, and what steps would I use to retrieve this favorite a weekor so later?

Most sincerely,

David S. Pearson

The very idea of the Favorites Folder, as once implemented, has been jettisoned by everyone, including Microsoft, with any contemporary browser.  The new Chromium-based Edge does what all other browsers do - maintain Favorites/Bookmarks internally to the browser, though one can export and import them.

CTRL+D is pretty much the universal, "Bookmark this page," command and works in Firefox as well as all Chromium-based browsers.  In any Chromium based browser CTRL+Shift+O opens the Bookmarks/Favorites Manager, which is, I find, the easiest way to locate and/or organize one's bookmarks to one's own satisfaction.  Under Firefox the CTRL+Shift+B command opens the bookmarks manager.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Sharon

Can you export them from IE to another browser?

Which browser would be easiest to export them to? The new Edge,

Google, Firefox?

Sharon

The very idea of the Favorites Folder, as once implemented, has been jettisoned by everyone, including Microsoft, with any contemporary browser.  The new Chromium-based Edge does what all other browsers do - maintain Favorites/Bookmarks internally to the browser, though one can export and import them.

CTRL+D is pretty much the universal, "Bookmark this page," command and works in Firefox as well as all Chromium-based browsers.  In any Chromium based browser CTRL+Shift+O opens the Bookmarks/Favorites Manager, which is, I find, the easiest way to locate and/or organize one's bookmarks to one's own satisfaction.  Under Firefox the CTRL+Shift+B command opens the bookmarks manager.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

You can export from IE or any browser with an export function (and that's every one I've ever worked with in recent years) and import into any other with an import function.

In fact, most browser installers these days have a step where they ask you, explicitly, if you would like to import bookmarks/favorites (depending on the terminology used by that browser - both are the same thing) and from which one of your existing browsers you wish to import them.  The Edge Dev installer has this, and I'd have to believe that when it becomes the true new Edge that the first run of same will give the same prompt.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

David Kingsbury

Hi all,

Don’t dump favorites yet. They are far eaisier to manage and access than bookmarks in the other browsers like Chrome and Edge. And if you place the favorites folder on your desktop, you can quickly access them there, and this with your default web browser.

Personally, I find bookmarks with both Chrome and Firefox to be very clumsy to access and manage. I maintain my favorites in just IE, and then access them on my desktop with my default browser, usually Chrome these days.  If you already know basic file management keystrokes for creating new folders, cutting, pasting, renaming, etc. then you don’t have to learn any new keystrokes. In Windows 10, it is very easy to change your default browser.

David