moderated [External] : Re: Jaws accessible Windows 10 clipboard alternative?

Don Mauck

Just keep doing a copy of different items and if you press Window+V you'll see all the different items. You have to make sure that your system clipboard history is turned on. Then you can delete, copy or whatever you wish.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Covici
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2021 12:38 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: [External] : Re: Jaws accessible Windows 10 clipboard alternative?

OK, I have a question about this clipboard business -- I can hit windows key+v, but after that, the only keys I seem to be able to use are the arrow keys and there is usually only one entry. So, the question is -- and I have googled to several different articles -- how do you add more items to the clipboard and how do you delete an item?

On Fri, 21 May 2021 10:53:09 -0400,
Richard Turner wrote:

[1 <text/plain; iso-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>] I am running the May
update to Jaws 2021 and the Windows Clipboard is working the way it always had for me.
Jaws is reading the entries after I hit Windows+v and I can arrow to the one I want to paste and hit enter, and it is pasted.

I don't know if you do your updates this way, but I always download the package and install, rather than going through the update wizard because I think the wizard's wand is damaged.

Richard
- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Web site:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.turner42.com__;!!GqivPVa7Brio!J
7_2iqKrJ2TKvvYamGSUwreoVLMl07QAr7nUkBsShC0Pppd25oKVa-SgRoMmz7k$

From: Don Mauck [mailto:don.mauck@oracle.com]
Date: Friday, May 21, 2021, 2:46 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io>
[...]

.

Bill White

Hi, Mario. You are talking about the Windows Clipboard here, not the new Windows Clipboard with Clipboard History. This is not the same thing they are talking about in the email to which you are replying.

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

[...]

oops. thanks for the correction Bill.

[...]

I'm a bit confused, can someone please explain how this should work, step by step? is this a new feature of Windows 10 20H2?

[...]

Clipboard history has been a part of Windows 10 since Version 1809 (October 2018 Update). Provided that clipboard history is enabled, whenever you copy new data to the clipboard, Windows will append the newly copied item to clipboard history so you can paste it when Windows+V is pressed (Windows will track up to 25 clipboard items).
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Hi, Mario. It's a feature of Windows 10 that's been in effect for a couple of years. If you go to Settings>System>Clipboard, and turn it on, Windows will keep a history of items that have been copied to the clipboard. Then, if Windows and your screen reader are working together correctly, you will be able to select items from the Clipboard history and copy them into a document or email. Right now, the latest update to Windows 10 has caused this feature to not work correctly. Some are saying that the items in the Clipboard History cannot correctly be read and selected.

Since I have this feature turned off, I can't confirm how Clipboard History has worked for me in the past, and, since I haven't updated to Windows 10 21H1, I don't know how it would affect my system with the current version of JAWS.

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

[...]

only 25 items, can this be increased?

I find that it appends items to the clipboard in descending order and pastes only the last bit of text that was copied. is there a way to append text in ascending order and select and copy what text is to be pasted elsewhere?

[...]

Bill, I enabled the feature, and I can still append text to the clipboard with JAWS 2020, and can read the history after pressing Windows+v, and can select what to copy, but can't seem to actually copy what's been selected.

[...]

Hi, Mario. I read an article on Google, and it says that once you have selected an item in Clipboard, you must "click" on it to be able to paste it somewhere else. I don't know if this means that you should press ENTER on the selected item.

I don't think you can increase the number of items in the clipboard history.

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

[...]

Chris Hill

Well, first of all, this is a windows feature, you aren't appending to the clipboard as such, you are saving something completely separate to it, like having multiple clipboards.  Once you've copied something to the clipboard, use windows-v to bring up a list of things you've copied and hit enter on the one you wish to paste.

In some programs, such as thunderbird just a second ago, you may need to alt-tab out and back in to get it to read correctly.

On 5/21/2021 15:50, Mario wrote:
[...]

Hi again, Mario. I turned on the Windows Clipboard History feature to test it, and as Chris has already written, the way a particular item in the clipboard is selected is to press ENTER on that item.

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

[...]

John Covici

My history says its on, but control-c seems to erase whats on the
clipboard. But one thing, what about files on the clipboard, does
this same thing apply i.e. is control-c supposed to add a file to the
clipboard?

On Fri, 21 May 2021 14:46:24 -0400,
Don Mauck wrote:

[...]

No, it only supports certain things.  The thing I posted the other day says

Currently, Clipboard history supports text, HTML, and images less than 4 MB in size.

CH

On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 08:33 AM, Chris Hill wrote:
Currently, Clipboard history supports text, HTML, and images less than 4 MB in size.
-
Which is pretty much what clipboard outside of File Explorer has always supported.

Cutting and pasting files between folders using File Explorer has always used a "purpose dedicated" clipboard mechanism, not the general clipboard.  And Clipboard History applies to the general clipboard.

You've always had to multi-select whatever group of files you want, and have all of them selected, before copying/cutting them to the File Explorer clipboard for pasting elsewhere.  You couldn't, and still can't, move from folder to folder, adding additional files to those already on the clipboard, for pasting in another folder (or if you can I have never seen it done, so enlighten me if someone has).

You can, within some limit I've never come close to reaching, do a select all in a file containing quite a bit of text and copy or cut it all to clipboard.  But you have to have the file open in the program that handles it, and the copy or cut happens in there, not in File Explorer to the file itself.

           ~ André Gide