moderated [External] : Re: How to locate a missing file

Don Mauck

Now this is an awesome tool.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2021 10:47 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: [External] : Re: How to locate a missing file

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 11:47 AM, Bill White wrote:

I installed a Windows file utility called Search Everything. This utility will, when started, search for files with a given name or partial name, and will also list its location. I will give the link for the website where you can download Search Everything. Since I have a 64-bit system, I download the 64-bit version of the program.

https://www.voidtools.com/

-
I cannot possibly second this recommendation more strongly, particularly if you're someone "old school" such as myself who virtually always searches for something based on its file name, or part of it, rather than the content in the file.

Windows Search itself is great when you occasionally can't remember what you called something but can remember some distinctive little snippet of content that would let you zero in on it.  But I use Everything Search on an almost daily basis because, even when the file is not lost, it's just quicker and more efficient for searches based on file name than Windows Search is.  And it's accessible.

           ~ André Gide