moderated Excel formula

John Doering

Hello:

I am trying to write a formula into an existing Excel spread sheet and I am having a problem.

For example:

I type =2+2 and hit enter.

I arrow back up to the cell and I hear =2+2 has formula.

I opened a new spread sheet and typed in the same thing and get 4 as I should.

Any ideas on what the issue is?

Any thoughts  would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

John

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Office: 4147783040 Extn:4063
Mobile:
445 S Curtis Rd West Allis, WI 53214
https://ibvi.org

Curtis Chong

No. I don’t understand the problem.

Curtis

I am trying to write a formula into an existing Excel spread sheet and I am having a problem.

For example:

I type =2+2 and hit enter.

I arrow back up to the cell and I hear =2+2 has formula.

I opened a new spread sheet and typed in the same thing and get 4 as I should.

Any ideas on what the issue is?

Any thoughts  would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

John

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Office: 4147783040 Extn:4063
Mobile:
445 S Curtis Rd West Allis, WI 53214
https://ibvi.org

Check the data type of your cell.  If it's not numeric (whether that's currency, accounting, etc.) in the Format Cells, Number tab, formulas quite literally do not compute.  They amount to text.

You must have a numeric cell format for formulas, even ones using two constants as you've given here, to actually compute numeric values.

My guess is that the cell in question is set to general or text format under the Number tab.

    ~ William Plomer

John Doering

Let me see if I can be clearer.

I hit = and type in a formula for example:  2+2, then hit enter.

The cell now should say 4 the result of the formula.

It does not say 4 but says “=2+2”

It seems to be a problem with the sheet, because when I tried the same thing on a new sheet the cell said 4 as it should.

HTH,

[...]

Glenn / Lenny

Have you tried tabbing out of it instead of hitting enter?

I am trying to write a formula into an existing Excel spread sheet and I am having a problem.

For example:

I type =2+2 and hit enter.

I arrow back up to the cell and I hear =2+2 has formula.

I opened a new spread sheet and typed in the same thing and get 4 as I should.

Any ideas on what the issue is?

Any thoughts  would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

John

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Office: 4147783040 Extn:4063
Mobile:
445 S Curtis Rd West Allis, WI 53214
https://ibvi.org

NFB Lab 4

Possibly the cell format was set to text.

[...]

Thank you all for the assistance.  I believe I have it figured out.

Regards,

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 01:04 PM, John Doering wrote:
I believe I have it figured out.
-
So, what was it?   Future searchers with the same issue will appreciate knowing what you did.

    ~ William Plomer

John Doering

Changing the formatting of the cell from text to general did the trick.

Thanks,