moderated Excel formula

John Doering

Hello:

I am trying to write a formula into an existing Excel spread sheet and I am having a problem.

For example:

I type =2+2 and hit enter.

I arrow back up to the cell and I hear =2+2 has formula.

I opened a new spread sheet and typed in the same thing and get 4 as I should.

Any ideas on what the issue is?

Any thoughts  would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

John

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Office: 4147783040 Extn:4063
Mobile:
445 S Curtis Rd West Allis, WI 53214
https://ibvi.org

Industries for the Blind & Visually Impaired accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Curtis Chong

No. I don’t understand the problem.

Curtis

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Doering
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 10:35 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Excel formula

Hello:

I am trying to write a formula into an existing Excel spread sheet and I am having a problem.

For example:

Thank you in advance,

John

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Mobile:

Industries for the Blind & Visually Impaired accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Check the data type of your cell.  If it's not numeric (whether that's currency, accounting, etc.) in the Format Cells, Number tab, formulas quite literally do not compute.  They amount to text.

You must have a numeric cell format for formulas, even ones using two constants as you've given here, to actually compute numeric values.

My guess is that the cell in question is set to general or text format under the Number tab.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

John Doering

Let me see if I can be clearer.

I hit = and type in a formula for example:  2+2, then hit enter.

The cell now should say 4 the result of the formula.

It does not say 4 but says “=2+2”

It seems to be a problem with the sheet, because when I tried the same thing on a new sheet the cell said 4 as it should.

HTH,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Mobile:

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Curtis Chong
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 11:43 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io; jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Excel formula

Curtis

Hello:

For example:

Thank you in advance,

John

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Mobile:

Glenn / Lenny

Have you tried tabbing out of it instead of hitting enter?

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 11:49 AM

It seems to be a problem with the sheet, because when I tried the same thing on a new sheet the cell said 4 as it should.

HTH,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Mobile:

Curtis

Hello:

For example:

Thank you in advance,

John

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Mobile:

NFB Lab 4

Possibly the cell format was set to text.

On Oct 11, 2021, at 12:49 PM, John Doering <john.doering@...> wrote:

HTH,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Mobile:

Curtis

Hello:

For example:

Thank you in advance,

John

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Mobile:

John Doering

Thank you all for the assistance.  I believe I have it figured out.

Regards,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Mobile:

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of NFB Lab 4
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 12:01 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Possibly the cell format was set to text.

On Oct 11, 2021, at 12:49 PM, John Doering <john.doering@...> wrote:

HTH,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Mobile:

Curtis

Hello:

For example:

Thank you in advance,

John

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Mobile:

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 01:04 PM, John Doering wrote:
I believe I have it figured out.
-
So, what was it?   Future searchers with the same issue will appreciate knowing what you did.

--

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

John Doering

Changing the formatting of the cell from text to general did the trick.

Thanks,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Mobile:

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 12:18 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 01:04 PM, John Doering wrote:

I believe I have it figured out.

-
So, what was it?   Future searchers with the same issue will appreciate knowing what you did.

--

~ William Plomer