moderated entering information in tables in Word

Marianne Denning

I am using Office 365, Windows, and JAWS 2022. I created a table that was 12 rows and 2 columns and I had it autofit. When I try to enter information in the table JAWS just keeps saying "new cell." I have no idea where I am in the table. I haven't created a table in a long time and it is obvious that something has changed but I don't know what changed or how to fix it. I also use tab to move through the table. Any help is greatly appreciated.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

Jasmine Kotsay

Hi,
I’m not sure if this will help, but I’ll put it out there anyway. You don’t want to use the tab key to navigate through the table, because after the second column, if you press the tab key, it will add a new row or sell to the table. This may be the issue. You only want to use the when you are navigating between the first and second column, but not afterward. The tab key, after the use of it between the first and second columns, will add a new row or cell to the table. This may be the issue. You only want to use the Tab key when you are navigating between the first and second column, but not afterward. Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Jasmine

On Mar 26, 2022, at 3:47 PM, Marianne Denning <marianne@...> wrote:

I am using Office 365, Windows, and JAWS 2022. I created a table that was 12 rows and 2 columns and I had it autofit. When I try to enter information in the table JAWS just keeps saying "new cell." I have no idea where I am in the table. I haven't created a table in a long time and it is obvious that something has changed but I don't know what changed or how to fix it. I also use tab to move through the table. Any help is greatly appreciated.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

Marianne Denning

Thank you. I will try that. I could always use the tab key in the past. The only time I didn’t use it was when I got to the last column and row.

[...]

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

I would add that ideally you want to use the Control Alt and arrow keys to move from one cell to the next within the table. This approach seems to work well for me at any rate.

Kindly,

Curtis Chong

[...]

What do you mean using the control and Alt keys to navigate? I've never done this before.

Sincerely,
Jasmine

"Blindness is not what defines me, yet there are many things that do."
—Jasmine Kotsay, 2007

[...]

Bill White

Hi, Jazzy. Curtis means using the ALT and CONTROL keys together with the Arrow keys to navigate a table. For Example, ALT plus Right Arrow, or CONTROL plus Right Arrow.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Hello Jasmine:

JAWS provides commands enabling you to move up, down, left, or right within a table one cell at a time, kind of like an Excel spreadsheet. Hold down Control and Alt, then navigate with the appropriate arrow keys. This is while within a Table in Word.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

[...]

Bill:

It is holding both Alt and Control keys together.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

[...]

Ann Byrne

In a Word table, you can tab from cel to cell, selecting each cell as you move to it. Or you can press alt-ctrl right or left arrow to move from cell to cell, but nothing will be selected. On the internet, however, you have to use alt-ctrl and arrows; tab take you out of the table.

At 02:10 PM 3/27/2022, you wrote:
[...]

Adrian Spratt

I haven't encountered a table in Word for some time, but what about the JAWS layered command, JAWS key+spacebar, t? then, as I recall, you navigate with just the arrow keys.