moderated editing inside excel cell

Van Lant, Robin

Morey,
There could be a couple things going on here, depending on the issue you are having. If you can edit other cells and are just having issues with this one, I wonder if the email addresses are hyperlinks and not just editable text. I was having a lot of issues this summer with putting an email address in a cell and when I pressed enter to get out of the cell, Excel would turn the email into a hyperlink. If you are having the issue that some of us face with JAWS slowing to a snail's pace while editing cells, you may want to turn off JAWS and restart it. Frankly, if I’m editing a lot of text in a particular Excel cell, I will often copy the text of the cell into Notepad, edit away and then paste it back into the cell. Doing this would also remove any hyperlinks in those email addresses.

Robin

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Morey Worthington
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2021 12:18 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: editing iinside excel cell

WARNING: This email originated externally. Exercise caution. Think before clicking links or opening attachments.

Hi all.

Using w10, jaws2021, In a certain cell inExcel I have a number of Email addresses. I hit the f2 key to go into that cell to edit it, but sure cannot figure out how to edit the thing, or add to that cell using jaws.
Any good thoughts??

Thanks

--
Morey Worthington

KeyCorp Public

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.”). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Morey Worthington

Thanks very much for input, you are probably correct with the link issue. Will do as recommended and reply back with final thoughts.

--
Morey Worthington

Morey Worthington

Hi again, did as you recommended, changed the stuff inside cell and still cannot, get Jaws to tell me where I am in cell to atleast change 1 thing, or to insert something else like another address.

Thanks for input

--
Morey Worthington

Ben Moxey

Hi Morey

Changing the following setting should resolve your editing issue.
1. Press Alt + F, T to load Options.
2. Press A to select Advanced.
3. Press Alt + E (for Echo) to untick the "Allow editing directly in cells" checkbox.

From now on, you will automatically edit cell contents in the Formula bar when you press F2. It works the same, but you should be able to arrow through content consistently.

All the best.

Ben

Sent: Saturday, 11 September 2021 8:02 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: editing inside excel cell

Hi again, did as you recommended, changed the stuff inside cell and still cannot, get Jaws to tell me where I am in cell to atleast change 1 thing, or to insert something else like another address.

Thanks for input

--
Morey Worthington

Morey Worthington

hi Ben, will try your suggestion and will report back..Thanks

--
Morey Worthington

Morey Worthington

Hi Ben and all, I am back.

Doing as you recommended, after doing that, went back into cell by using F2 key, and in there I still cannot get jaws to tell me where I am in the cell. I cannot  get it to recognize anything. let alone get it to delete, etc.

Here is what is in cell..Email addresses each followed by a space, then another one, etc.

Example...(worthington@wi.rr.com, ) then followed by another and so on.

If I have to change a letter in it or even a number, no can do. . Any other thoughts, or as others have recommended, just copy it, do the editing a editor of choice then re-insert it?

I am lost...

Thanks

--
Morey Worthington

Chris Chaffin

Hi Morey,

OK, I tried a few different scenarios with your setup with Excel. I think it is a problem within Jaws 2021.

I entered 3 email addresses within a cell separated by a comma. I also checked, and the cell format was general.

Using Jaws 2021, I could only get it to read the contents of the cell one character at a time by hitting f2 one time. Sometimes it would not read anything, sometimes it might read a few characters then all of a sudden stop, and like I said, only once did it actually read all of the contents all the way through.

Now I also loaded Jaws 2020 and tried it. You had to move a little slow, but it would read character by character after hitting f2. If you tried moving to fast, then it would just skip that letter and speak the one you were on. But it did and would work.

Now I also loaded and tried Narrator with the same setup. I will say that Narrator probably worked just as good as Jaws 2020 if not better.

The only thing I will ask is did you make sure your window is maximized? I assume that you did this, but thought I would at least mention it.

So if possible, I would consider using Jaws 2020 or Narrator when editing within that sheet.

Sorry I do not have any better suggestions.

Chris

On Sep 11, 2021, at 8:46 AM, Morey Worthington <worthington@wi.rr.com> wrote:

Doing as you recommended, after doing that, went back into cell by using F2 key, and in there I still cannot get jaws to tell me where I am in the cell. I cannot get it to recognize anything. let alone get it to delete, etc.

Here is what is in cell..Email addresses each followed by a space, then another one, etc.

If I have to change a letter in it or even a number, no can do. . Any other thoughts, or as others have recommended, just copy it, do the editing a editor of choice then re-insert it?

I am lost...

Thanks

--
Morey Worthington

Morey Worthington

Wonderful, wonderful suggestions. Will give them all a try.

Appreciate it.

--
Morey Worthington

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

I just tried this with a field that I quickly entered 4 email addresses separated by comma and a space.
I am using Jaws 2021 with Tom Enhanced, Excel Microsoft Excel Subscription Version 16.0.14326.20238.
I tabbed out of the cell, went back to it and hit f2. I was able to easily arrow left back through the cell (your cursor is at the end of the cell when you press f2) and I was able to jump to the beginning of the cell and arrow right through everything and it wasn't slow at all.
I have the allow editing in cells checked under Excel options, Advanced.

I'm not sure why it works so well for me and not for you all.

Richard
“Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it.” – Jane Wagner

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Chaffin
Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2021 8:07 AM

Hi Morey,

OK, I tried a few different scenarios with your setup with Excel. I think it is a problem within Jaws 2021.

I entered 3 email addresses within a cell separated by a comma. I also checked, and the cell format was general.

Using Jaws 2021, I could only get it to read the contents of the cell one character at a time by hitting f2 one time. Sometimes it would not read anything, sometimes it might read a few characters then all of a sudden stop, and like I said, only once did it actually read all of the contents all the way through.

Now I also loaded Jaws 2020 and tried it. You had to move a little slow, but it would read character by character after hitting f2. If you tried moving to fast, then it would just skip that letter and speak the one you were on. But it did and would work.

Now I also loaded and tried Narrator with the same setup. I will say that Narrator probably worked just as good as Jaws 2020 if not better.

The only thing I will ask is did you make sure your window is maximized? I assume that you did this, but thought I would at least mention it.

So if possible, I would consider using Jaws 2020 or Narrator when editing within that sheet.

Sorry I do not have any better suggestions.

Chris

On Sep 11, 2021, at 8:46 AM, Morey Worthington <worthington@wi.rr.com> wrote:

Doing as you recommended, after doing that, went back into cell by using F2 key, and in there I still cannot get jaws to tell me where I am in the cell. I cannot get it to recognize anything. let alone get it to delete, etc.

I am lost...

Thanks

--
Morey Worthington

Morey,

I've read through the posts on this thread but haven't been following it closely. I'll first say that I'm using Fusion 2020 and Excel 2019 and the latest version of Windows 10 Home. And I've not disabled in-cell editing which others have suggested. I'll also suggest that you subscribe to the Office-accessibility@groups.io list by sending a blank email to office-accessibility+subscribe@groups.io. I think you might get better assistance from that list.

I expect that Chris might be right that this could be a JAWS version issue.

I had no problems editing a cell containing email addresses whether they were in one cell separated by spaces and whether they were hyperlinks or regular text. After pressing F2, I was able to press the home key and cycle through character by character with Fusion feedback. And I used your worthington@wi.rr.com email address three times in one cell for this test.

Just out of curiosity, do you get a different result when you place one email address in a cell by itself? I'm not a fan of loading up a single cell with a lot of content of any type but I'm not here to debate procedural issues. I'm just curious whether you get a different result with only one email address in a cell and what JAWS says when you put focus in that cell and if editing it is any different.

Alan Lemly

Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2021 7:47 AM

Doing as you recommended, after doing that, went back into cell by using
F2 key, and in there I still cannot get jaws to tell me where I am in the cell. I cannot get it to recognize anything. let alone get it to delete, etc.

I am lost...

Thanks

--
Morey Worthington

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Hi Alan,
Our posts have crossed but you will see that I don't think it is a Jaws version. I can edit a cell with multiple email addresses quite easily and I'm running Jaws 2021, latest update, etc. I'm using the Microsoft 365 version of Excel but that shouldn't matter.
I never uncheck the allow editing in cells, otherwise you have a mess in my experience.

I use Tom Enhanced from Vocalizer, but will be surprised if it is a synthesizer issue.

It could be this is a monster huge excel file and the computer is slowing down, who knows....

This is one that if it continues, asking on the office list might get a good answer, but having Microsoft accessibility log into the machine and see exactly what is happening might be the next best thing. 800-936-5900

Later,

Richard
"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it." - Jane Wagner

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Lemly
Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2021 9:12 AM

Morey,

I've read through the posts on this thread but haven't been following it closely. I'll first say that I'm using Fusion 2020 and Excel 2019 and the latest version of Windows 10 Home. And I've not disabled in-cell editing which others have suggested. I'll also suggest that you subscribe to the Office-accessibility@groups.io list by sending a blank email to office-accessibility+subscribe@groups.io. I think you might get better assistance from that list.

I had no problems editing a cell containing email addresses whether they were in one cell separated by spaces and whether they were hyperlinks or regular text. After pressing F2, I was able to press the home key and cycle through character by character with Fusion feedback. And I used your worthington@wi.rr.com email address three times in one cell for this test.

Just out of curiosity, do you get a different result when you place one email address in a cell by itself? I'm not a fan of loading up a single cell with a lot of content of any type but I'm not here to debate procedural issues. I'm just curious whether you get a different result with only one email address in a cell and what JAWS says when you put focus in that cell and if editing it is any different.

Alan Lemly

F2 key, and in there I still cannot get jaws to tell me where I am in the cell. I cannot get it to recognize anything. let alone get it to delete, etc.

I am lost...

Thanks

--
Morey Worthington

Hi Richard,

Thanks for that clarification. Since I'm using an older version of Fusion, I never know how that might cause my results to differ. Good to know your Excel editing with the latest version of Jaws is working fine.

Alan 

with Outlook for iOS

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>
Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2021 11:20:57 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io>

Hi Alan,
Our posts have crossed but  you will see that I don't think it is a Jaws version.  I can edit a cell with multiple email addresses quite easily and I'm running Jaws 2021, latest update, etc.  I'm using the Microsoft 365 version of Excel but that shouldn't matter.
I never uncheck the allow editing in cells, otherwise you have a mess in my experience.

I use Tom Enhanced from Vocalizer, but will be surprised if it is a synthesizer issue.

It could be this is a monster huge excel file and the computer is slowing down, who knows....

This is one that if it continues, asking on the office list might get a good answer, but having Microsoft accessibility log into the machine and see exactly what is happening might be the next best thing.  800-936-5900

Later,

Richard
"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it." - Jane Wagner

Morey,

I've read through the posts on this thread but haven't been following it closely. I'll first say that I'm using Fusion 2020 and Excel 2019 and the latest version of Windows 10 Home. And I've not disabled in-cell editing which others have suggested. I'll also suggest that you subscribe to the Office-accessibility@groups.io list by sending a blank email to office-accessibility+subscribe@groups.io.  I think you might get better assistance from that list.

I had no problems editing a cell containing email addresses whether they were in one cell separated by spaces and whether they were hyperlinks or regular text. After pressing F2, I was able to press the home key and cycle through character by character with Fusion feedback.  And I used your worthington@... email address three times in one cell for this test.

Alan Lemly

F2 key, and in there I still cannot get jaws to tell me where I am in the cell. I cannot  get it to recognize anything. let alone get it to delete, etc.

Example...(worthington@..., ) then followed by another and so on.

I am lost...

Thanks

--
Morey Worthington

Justin Williams

Right now, copy in into notepad, fix it up, then put it back into the cell until you get the problem figured out.

Justin

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Alan Lemly
Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2021 12:47 PM

Hi Richard,

Thanks for that clarification. Since I'm using an older version of Fusion, I never know how that might cause my results to differ. Good to know your Excel editing with the latest version of Jaws is working fine.

Alan 

with Outlook for iOS

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Hi Alan,
Our posts have crossed but  you will see that I don't think it is a Jaws version.  I can edit a cell with multiple email addresses quite easily and I'm running Jaws 2021, latest update, etc.  I'm using the Microsoft 365 version of Excel but that shouldn't matter.

This is one that if it continues, asking on the office list might get a good answer, but having Microsoft accessibility log into the machine and see exactly what is happening might be the next best thing.  800-936-5900

Later,

Richard

Morey,

I've read through the posts on this thread but haven't been following it closely. I'll first say that I'm using Fusion 2020 and Excel 2019 and the latest version of Windows 10 Home. And I've not disabled in-cell editing which others have suggested. I'll also suggest that you subscribe to the Office-accessibility@groups.io list by sending a blank email to office-accessibility+subscribe@groups.io.  I think you might get better assistance from that list.

I had no problems editing a cell containing email addresses whether they were in one cell separated by spaces and whether they were hyperlinks or regular text. After pressing F2, I was able to press the home key and cycle through character by character with Fusion feedback.  And I used your worthington@... email address three times in one cell for this test.

Alan Lemly

F2 key, and in there I still cannot get jaws to tell me where I am in the cell. I cannot  get it to recognize anything. let alone get it to delete, etc.

Example...(worthington@..., ) then followed by another and so on.

I am lost...

Thanks

--
Morey Worthington

Ann Byrne

If you paste into the cell from elsewhere, don't just plunk it in--press f2 first and then paste. it works better than pasting into the cell directly.

At 11:46 AM 9/11/2021, you wrote:
Hi Richard,

Alan

with <https://aka.ms/qtex0l>Outlook for iOS

----------
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Richard Turner <richardturner42@outlook.com>

Hi Alan,
Our posts have crossed but you will see that I don't think it is a Jaws version. I can edit a cell with multiple email addresses quite easily and I'm running Jaws 2021, latest update, etc. I'm using the Microsoft 365 version of Excel but that shouldn't matter.

This is one that if it continues, asking on the office list might get a good answer, but having Microsoft accessibility log into the machine and see exactly what is happening might be the next best thing. 800-936-5900

Later,

Richard

My Web site: <https://www.turner42.com>https://www.turner42.com

Morey,

Alan Lemly

I am lost...

Thanks

--
Morey Worthington

Ben Moxey

Hi everyone

I do think the individual sheet is the problem. I too have no issues doing
as described with JAWS and direct editing in cells turned on. However, the
situation Morey described is a well-known issue experienced by JAWS and NVDA
users with some spread sheets, and disabling the ability to edit directly in
cells is a well-known fix. It does not cause any problem. In fact, the
editing experience is exactly the same for a screen reader user.

Morey, I'm surprised this didn't work. Can you go back into the advanced
options and double-check that "Allow editing directly in cells" is unticked?
Then, close Excel and re-open your spread sheet. Also, ensure the window is
maximise with Windows + up arrow.

If you're still having no luck, I like Richard's idea of contacting
Microsoft's accessibility support desk.

Cheers and good luck!

Ben

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Sunday, 12 September 2021 2:21 AM

Hi Alan,
Our posts have crossed but you will see that I don't think it is a Jaws
version. I can edit a cell with multiple email addresses quite easily and
I'm running Jaws 2021, latest update, etc. I'm using the Microsoft 365
version of Excel but that shouldn't matter.
I never uncheck the allow editing in cells, otherwise you have a mess in my
experience.

I use Tom Enhanced from Vocalizer, but will be surprised if it is a
synthesizer issue.

It could be this is a monster huge excel file and the computer is slowing
down, who knows....

This is one that if it continues, asking on the office list might get a good
answer, but having Microsoft accessibility log into the machine and see
exactly what is happening might be the next best thing. 800-936-5900

Later,

Richard
"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it."
- Jane Wagner

Morey,

I've read through the posts on this thread but haven't been following it
closely. I'll first say that I'm using Fusion 2020 and Excel 2019 and the
latest version of Windows 10 Home. And I've not disabled in-cell editing
which others have suggested. I'll also suggest that you subscribe to the
Office-accessibility@groups.io list by sending a blank email to
office-accessibility+subscribe@groups.io. I think you might get better
assistance from that list.

I had no problems editing a cell containing email addresses whether they
were in one cell separated by spaces and whether they were hyperlinks or
regular text. After pressing F2, I was able to press the home key and cycle
through character by character with Fusion feedback. And I used your
worthington@wi.rr.com email address three times in one cell for this test.

Just out of curiosity, do you get a different result when you place one
email address in a cell by itself? I'm not a fan of loading up a single cell
with a lot of content of any type but I'm not here to debate procedural
issues. I'm just curious whether you get a different result with only one
email address in a cell and what JAWS says when you put focus in that cell
and if editing it is any different.

Alan Lemly

F2 key, and in there I still cannot get jaws to tell me where I am in the
cell. I cannot get it to recognize anything. let alone get it to delete,
etc.

Here is what is in cell..Email addresses each followed by a space, then
another one, etc.

If I have to change a letter in it or even a number, no can do. . Any other
thoughts, or as others have recommended, just copy it, do the editing a
editor of choice then re-insert it?

I am lost...

Thanks

--
Morey Worthington

Morey Worthington

Thanks again Ben. Will try undo it again and see what happens. Thanks all for your interest and help and will see how things go. Hope to get back with more updates be they good or bad.

TC for now.

--
Morey Worthington