moderated editing a cell in Excel 2016

kevin meyers

Hello, Currently I’m using the most recent versions of windows10, Outlook 2016 and Jaws 2021. I have a number of spread sheets that have a column of cells that I’m unable to press f2 and edit them. The cells have numbers, letters and symbols. Prior to switching to a new laptop I could press f2 on a cell and then arrow left and right character by character and Jaws would say the character. I can tell I’m in the cell as when I arrow left and right the entire cell is read and I don’t move to the cell before or after the one I’m on. I can press f2 on a cell on a different column and can arrow left and right. I changed the cell format to be text and same thing happen. I then changed the format to general and still wasn’t able to move left and right in the cell. Should I use a different format? Or is there something else wrong with the column of cells? Thanks, Kevin

Marty Hutchings

Kevin,  Once in a while, I run into this problem as well.  Here is how to fix it.

Editing text in cells

1. Have Excel open.

2. Press “alt+f” to open the file menu then press “t” for the options.

3. Press “control+tab” until the focus is on the “Advanced” options page.

4. Press “alt+e” to toggle the “Allow editing directly in cells”

option. Ensure that this is unchecked.

5. Press “enter” to save the changes. Editing cell contents should now work again.

HTH

Marty

On 9/29/2021 9:31 AM, kevin meyers wrote:

Hello, Currently I’m using the most recent versions of windows10, Outlook 2016 and Jaws 2021. I have a number of spread sheets that have a column of cells that I’m unable to press f2 and edit them. The cells have numbers, letters and symbols. Prior to switching to a new laptop I could press f2 on a cell and then arrow left and right character by character and Jaws would say the character. I can tell I’m in the cell as when I arrow left and right the entire cell is read and I don’t move to the cell before or after the one I’m on. I can press f2 on a cell on a different column and can arrow left and right. I changed the cell format to be text and same thing happen. I then changed the format to general and still wasn’t able to move left and right in the cell. Should I use a different format? Or is there something else wrong with the column of cells? Thanks, Kevin

-- 
Thanks,
Lion Marty Hutchings
BOLD Secretary, Program Director and VIP Liaison
(262) 605-8981
mhutchings152730@...
www.wisconsinbold.com

kevin meyers

Hi Marty,

Thanks very much that worked!

Cheers,

Kevin

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marty Hutchings
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2021 12:51 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: editing a cell in Excel 2016

Kevin,  Once in a while, I run into this problem as well.  Here is how to fix it.

Editing text in cells

1. Have Excel open.

2. Press “alt+f” to open the file menu then press “t” for the options.

3. Press “control+tab” until the focus is on the “Advanced” options page.

4. Press “alt+e” to toggle the “Allow editing directly in cells”

option. Ensure that this is unchecked.

5. Press “enter” to save the changes. Editing cell contents should now work again.

HTH

Marty

On 9/29/2021 9:31 AM, kevin meyers wrote:

-- 
Thanks,
Lion Marty Hutchings
BOLD Secretary, Program Director and VIP Liaison
(262) 605-8981
mhutchings152730@...
www.wisconsinbold.com