Topics

moderated Edge question

Madison Martin

Hi all,
Using Jaws 2018, the latest Edge and Windows 10 can someone please tell me how
to get to the address bar so that I can select and copy it so that I can send it
to someone? I know how to do it with Internet Explorer, but I know that I can't
rely on IE forever. Any help is much appreciated!! Thanks
Madison

To my knowledge, ALT+D works in all modern web browsers to throw focus to the address bar and cause the address to be selected when focus lands there.

I've just tested that in Firefox, Edge, Chrome, and Brave and it works in all of them.  If anyone knows of an exception, that would be interesting to know.  And this is not a screen reader command, but a part of Windows or the browsers' interfaces, I'm not absolutely sure which.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Pastor Gil Pries

With Edge open, press control l.

Pastor Gil

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 03:48 PM, Pastor Gil Pries wrote:
With Edge open, press control l.
CTRL+I does nothing in new Chromium-based Edge, which will soon be the only Edge available.  If Madison was referring to the truly latest Edge, that's the Chromium-based Edge.

ALT+D reliably throws focus to, and selects the contents of, the address bar in virtually every modern browser.  You can then immediately hit CTRL+C to copy said contents.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

David Moore

Alt plus D and control plus C

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020, 2:00 PM Madison Martin <maddymartin@...> wrote:
Hi all,
Using Jaws 2018, the latest Edge and Windows 10 can someone please tell me how
to get to the address bar so that I can select and copy it so that I can send it
to someone? I know how to do it with Internet Explorer, but I know that I can't
rely on IE forever. Any help is much appreciated!! Thanks
Madison

Maria Campbell

I'm lost one I press control plus L to highlight address on Edge.  Then I open my favorites folder on desktop, but then I don't know what to do with the applications key to get that address into my favorites.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke
On 7/7/2020 5:47 PM, David Moore wrote:

Alt plus D and control plus C

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020, 2:00 PM Madison Martin <maddymartin@...> wrote:
Hi all,
Using Jaws 2018, the latest Edge and Windows 10 can someone please tell me how
to get to the address bar so that I can select and copy it so that I can send it
to someone? I know how to do it with Internet Explorer, but I know that I can't
rely on IE forever. Any help is much appreciated!! Thanks
Madison

Don Mauck

If you’ve done a Control C, then you can do a control V to paste the link into your favorites.

Regards:

Don Mauck | Senior Accessibility Evangelist | Accessibility Program Office |  (APO)

303.334.4184

Don.mauck@...

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 05:58 PM, Maria Campbell wrote:
but then I don't know what to do with the applications key to get that address into my favorites.
Once you're in the Favorites folder in File Explorer:

1. Create New Item, and that Item is a shortcut.  ALT+H,W,S

2. In the Create Shortcut dialog, first window, that opens, paste the URL you copied out of the Address Bar in to the Type the location of the item edit box.  Activate Next button.

3. Type the name you wish for the shortcut to be identified by in the Type a name for this shortcut edit box.  Activate Finish button.

There is now a shortcut in your Favorites folder for that webpage that has the name you gave it.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Maria Campbell

That certainly works but what a far cry from the ease of creating favorites in IE.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 06:32 PM, Maria Campbell wrote:
That certainly works but what a far cry from the ease of creating favorites in IE.
Indeed, but IE's method died out, except under IE, a very, very long time ago.  Much like the Outlook Express concept of identities (I think that's what they called it) died, too.

Each and every one of us has suffered through the loss of certain features we've loved as time marches on.  Learning to let go tends to make one far less stressed.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 06:32 PM, Maria Campbell wrote:
That certainly works but what a far cry from the ease of creating favorites in IE.
Also, creating favorites within a browser is still a CTRL+D away.  I've generally recommended keeping Bookmarks/favorites manager open at all times as one of your tabs if you use these frequently.

Creating favorites in a folder is now a workaround for a built-in function of the browser.

I don't use bookmarks/favorites very frequently anymore due to browser history.  After I type a couple of characters of a given website the full URL generally shows up in the dropdown list below.  Now, mind you, I can see this and directly point and click, but down-arrowing is also possible, with enter to activate once you land on it.  And the sites you use most frequently tend to be at the very top of those history lists.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Maria Campbell

Brian, I am old, blind, and not terribly tech savvy.  You are sighted, much younger and much more tech intuitive than me.  Change doesn't come easy, so please stop being so glib about a state you may not really understand.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke
On 7/7/2020 6:35 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 06:32 PM, Maria Campbell wrote:
That certainly works but what a far cry from the ease of creating favorites in IE.
Indeed, but IE's method died out, except under IE, a very, very long time ago.  Much like the Outlook Express concept of identities (I think that's what they called it) died, too.

Each and every one of us has suffered through the loss of certain features we've loved as time marches on.  Learning to let go tends to make one far less stressed.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Maria,

            Please give up this kind of insulting rhetoric.  It's entirely uncalled for.

            I really don't care how old, or blind, or not tech savvy you are.  That makes not the slightest bit of difference that you, like all of us, have to go with the flow of the technology stream as it goes along.  You don't get to stop the world, nor do I, nor does anyone else.

            Given my track record here, and on a number of blindness related forums, your statements go beyond just insulting into outrageous.  I suggest you think, and a lot more deeply and carefully, before tossing out your baseless frustration at me as though that's justified.  It's not, period.  So stop.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Maria Campbell

I insulted you by saying you are sighted and young and smart?

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke
On 7/7/2020 6:51 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Maria,

            Please give up this kind of insulting rhetoric.  It's entirely uncalled for.

            I really don't care how old, or blind, or not tech savvy you are.  That makes not the slightest bit of difference that you, like all of us, have to go with the flow of the technology stream as it goes along.  You don't get to stop the world, nor do I, nor does anyone else.

            Given my track record here, and on a number of blindness related forums, your statements go beyond just insulting into outrageous.  I suggest you think, and a lot more deeply and carefully, before tossing out your baseless frustration at me as though that's justified.  It's not, period.  So stop.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Randy Barnett

Maria He wont even use a PC with the monitor off to even have a clue what it is like for us and he does this on all the blind lists... Just ignore him that is what i had to do...

On 7/7/2020 4:45 PM, Maria Campbell wrote:

[...]

Why did you have to point out that he can see? I do not think of people being blind or sighted! I do not like it when blind people do this all of the time. I do not even think about my blindness most of the time, and I don’t think of people being blind or sighted. I don’t like labels. people need to stop doing this!

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020, 7:45 PM Maria Campbell <lucky1inct@...> wrote:

[...]

Well, It makes a huge difference in how they use a PC and what kind of experience they have when dealing with changes in how a PC is laid out. Ignoring the difference between the way we have to deal with PC compared to a sighted person is naive and and smacks of political correctness.

On 7/7/2020 5:35 PM, David Moore wrote:

[...]

Don Walls

I find it disappointing that when Brian has merely stated a reality, that all of us have to deal with change in tech, that others respond with mean-spirited criticisms and put-downs.  Brian frequently responds to listers’ problems with thoughtful, helpful responses, and I appreciate his generous contributions.

Don

[...]

Klaus Vielhauer

Hello Madison

control + l works reliably with the new chromium Edge

Control + d creates a favorite.

kKlaus

On 7/7/2020 7:47 PM, Madison Martin wrote:
Hi all,
Using Jaws 2018, the latest Edge and Windows 10 can someone please tell me how
to get to the address bar so that I can select and copy it so that I can send it
to someone? I know how to do it with Internet Explorer, but I know that I can't
rely on IE forever. Any help is much appreciated!! Thanks
Madison

Mario

I agree.

[...]

/The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to
overcome it./
       ~ Lawrence Krauss