Topics

moderated Edge and Jaws question

Madison Martin

Hi all,
I don't know if there's any way to fix these issues (other then upgrading which
isn't happening right now), but I really hope there is. Anyway, when I type in
an edit field (or whatever they called) in Edge I can't go back and read what
I've written and if I erase a character Jaws just says blank so I don't know
what I've erased. Also after I've input my email in a site it saves it, and even
when I try and type a new email it just fills in the box with my email so when I
type a new email address it sticks my email in there. So, are there any settings
within either Edge or Jaws that I can change to fix any of these problems? If
there's a setting that can be changed so that Edge never saves my email and I
have to type in my email address everytime I log in or do anything on any site,
I don't care, it's a small price to pay. I'm using Jaws 2018, the latest Edge,
and Windows 10 version 1909. I really hope that there's something I can do to
fix these issues, as they're driving me crazy. Look forward to any
help/suggestions anyone can provide me!! Thanks
Madison

[...]

Milton Ota

Sorry to say, it sounds like you need to update your windows 10 and JAWS as
you probably have incompatibility issues.

Without the updates you may have to live with the problem.

[...]

Don H

I could be wrong but I had the same kind of issue with jaws and thunderbird. Fixed the problem by making sure enhanced edit was enabled in jaws.

On 12/3/2020 8:24 PM, Madison Martin wrote:
[...]

Adrian Spratt

Madison,

I wonder if this happens after you've been working with JAWS for a while. Ever since installing JAWS 2021, I've experienced problems like this, which I didn't with JAWS 2020. Don't worry, I haven't forgotten you're using 2018. My solution has been to safe the draft of the email, assuming I've started it, and then to close and reopen JAWS. Obviously, a workaround, but perhaps you could try and see if it does the job until you're able to upgrade.

As you clearly realize, you'd be advised to upgrade your JAWS when you can afford to.

Note that Edge isn't an email program; it's a browser. Can you tell which email program you're actually using?

[...]

Dani Pagador

@Don, where do I find the Enhanced Edit setting?
@Madison, That's why I don't use Edge. The Edit fields seem to play
nicely in Brave. I can use the arrow keys to read through what I've
put in to an edit field and fix as I need to. I can also see what I
type on my BrailleEdge, something that doesn't happen in Edge.

More Later,
Dani

On 12/3/20, Don H <lmddh50@adams.net> wrote:
[...]

And if you are in the United States d don't forget that for I think $90 a year, $7.50/month, you can subscribe to Jaws which will always give you access to the latest version.
Also, I think she was not talking about email but about the Edge browser.
You can disable Edge remembering stuff like that by going to Settings in Edge, Alt + F followed by S, make sure the "Profiles" category is selected which should be the default when you open Settings, then activate the various buttons like passwors, payment info, addresses and more and look through the options and turn off what you don't want Edge to remember.

[...]

This is not an email issue, only a Edge issue. I just worry that even after
upgrading that I'll still have these issues, can anyone tell me with certainty
that upgrading will fix these issues? If no one can tell me then it's not worth
spending a bunch of money to upgrade if there's the potencial that I'll still
have the same problems.

[...]

Hello Madison,

As I said in my previous email, you have to go into Edge settings and disable some of the options regarding the automatic saving of passwords, predictive filling of search fields and so on.
I just tried in both the Edge address bar and in the search field on Google.com and I had no issues with Jaws 2021 letting me navigate whatever I had typed or what was in the address field by word or character and backspacing would read each character I was deleting.
You will most likely soon get the Windows 10 20H2 update since it seems you are a year behind and skipped Windows 10 Version 2004 this spring and since Microsoft now discontinues support for older Windows 10 versions fairly quickly, it is definitely in your best interest to keep Windows 10 up to date and with these latest versions f Windows Jaws 2018 just won't cut it any more or at least it will result in more and more inssues.
I think the subscription option would be best for you since you can get a subscription without having to pay any catch-up fees, if you wanted to upgrade to Jaws 2021 you would have to find out exactly how much that would cost from Vispero, but I think you are basically looking at two SMA's, one for Jaws 2019 and 2020 and the second to give you the update to Jaws 2021 and this one would also then cover Jaws 2022 next year. However, if you start the subscription all you ever have to worry is paying your $90 a year, not sure if you can also pay monthly since I'm in Canada where the subscription based model is not yet offered.

Best regards,
Sieghard

[...]

I'm in Canada too, so what model do you use? Can we still buy from Visparo, or
do we have to go to a Canadian dealer?

On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 10:36 AM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
As I said in my previous email, you have to go into Edge settings and disable some of the options regarding the automatic saving of passwords, predictive filling of search fields and so on.
-
In Chromium-based edge, Settings

1. Profiles Tab, Basic Info option - Turn off the toggle for Save and fill basic info

2. Profiles Tab, Passwords - Turn off the toggle for Offer to save passwords.

The equivalent exists in other Chromium-based browsers as well.  In Chrome, this is all located in the You and Google tab (which opens first in Settings) under the Autofill section, items Passwords and Addresses and more.  It's the same thing under Brave, but you have to expand Additional Settings before the Autofill section becomes visible.

In this age of Windows As A Service, it's more critical than ever that software be kept up to date, with screen readers being a part of that.

           ~ André Gide

Van Lant, Robin

Madison,
I'm running the latest Edge here. I just loaded JAWS 2018 and get the same issues you are having with edit fields. I do not have these issues when running JAWS 2021. Interestingly, If I load the same website in Google Chrome and use JAWS 2018, I do not seem to have the issues. So, if you are not able to upgrade to JAWS 2021, you might try Google Chrome or maybe Firefox.

[...]

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Lino Morales

No in the US you can't pay monthly. Its a one time annual payment of $90.00.

[...]

Sorry, I didn't know you were also in Canada. You can't buy directly from Vispero and as far as I know the subscription based model is not yet available here.
Where abouts are you in Canada? If you like send me a message off-list to sieghard@outlook.com, in the meantime let me check where I last bought my SMA, can't remember just now what the place was called.